• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Server Hardware Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalMendrilia

The Mad May Hare
If you do it THIS way, I can guarantee that Furaffinity can go on and on. Learn from the mistakes of previous sites. Eventually donations will dwindle and the site will go away. Take hold of this feature now.

You want to save FA? This is the way. "Optional" payment NOW!

It will still be free, technically.

I say make Furaffinity an optional paysite. Let those who pay have special options such as multiple icons, an actual whole-site search feature, unlimited amount of watches, faster connections, no ads, their artwork featured on the front page of Furaffinity as "newly uploaded art" and so on.

Those who don't pay get only one avatar option. A limited amount of people to watch, Advertisments, speed limits, and no whole-site search feature, and no "newly uploaded art" front page exposure..

Unlimited amount of watches... there's a limit to how many watches we have now? + even if there is, limiting the amount of watches would be a bad move.

Not being able to search the whole site would be very unfair to the artists.

If you do it THIS way, I can guarantee that Furaffinity can go on and on. Learn from the mistakes of previous sites. Eventually donations will dwindle and the site will go away. Take hold of this feature now.

You want to save FA? This is the way. "Optional" payment NOW!

It will still be free, technically.

I wonder what your basis for comparison is... Besides, trying to persuade a lot of the top level artists to pay for this by force is obviously a bad move... learn, from the past mistakes. :3

the Furry Fandom has grown a lot yes, but we aren't Deviant Art, nor could we support that.

Yes it will still be free technically but if FA were to go that way, lots of people would leave, + the next furry art website to be established the way the people want it to be, since you're pro changing that, will become a magnet for attention by the fandom and quickly grow into what F.A. has accmoplished already.

I propose only allowing 'paid' artists to have the front page. It makes the most sense.

Which would of course take away from the appeal Fur Affinity has, since that is anti-amature artist.

Fur Affinity is a great website because it's a fun place to be, the people are nice, the website is great to amature artists, and good artists, and the bad artists who are aspiring to get off stick figures. ^_^

Simply by limiting exposure to the people who are the majority of Fur Affinity, and those who make the website so fun (non-artists) then peiople will leave with the obvious results the internet demonstrates time and time again when a site, "Goes pay!" as they say with some kind of hateful conviction.

i wonder how many would go else where with what peeps are proposing for a "paid site"
Dragoneer said he would post a thread on this later and that if we went to a subscribing membership thing, non paying users wouldnt lose anything that we already have....even the front page.

A lot would go elsewhere. That's obvious.

Dragoneer is too intelligent at running a websie to make the kind of errors people are suggesting. If the staff do go into some sort of pay subscriptions, they'll do it correctly.

Even names like Inuki don't pay on for subscriptions on Deviant Art. (though others have for her as a gift. That's so kind!)

While i dont mind having a subscription, i say we pulled together nicely when needed to donate.

I agree.

Microsoftt

If FA was ever made as a pay site, it would only be okay by me if current users lost nothing. Including artists not having to pay to have their submissions show on the front page. I can't tell you how much I'm against that, I think it's stupid to modify anyone's previous abilities on FA and locking ANYTHING that was implemented as for free before now only for pay. What you should do is ADD features for paying users, but leave everything as it is exactly the same for everyone else. FA really needs a lot added to it, so you could add quite a bit that many people would be willing to pay for, even if everything else is the same.

One, obviously a search. "Browse" is a half-assed attempt at a search, but it's basically useless and I've never used it. Ever. Also, the ability to delete comments from your submissions, journals and shout page. The ability to make submissions and journals that have comments disabled to begin with. How about a list of "current members online" only visible to payers and/or people's personal pages showing an online/offline status (and, of course, an invisible mode)? The ability to edit comments you've made, or even edit comments you receive (for the lulz)?

Basically, don't charge for things people already have for free. Don't waste your time trying to get everyone's money without giving anything new in return, instead, work on making FA not suck so much. If you charged for things I already have, I'd probably leave FA and just browse Lulz and DeviantArt more. And I don't like DeviantArt.

Last edited:

mukichan

Chibi Chubbeh Draggie
Also, the ability to delete comments from your submissions, journals and shout page.

You can already delete shouts on your shout page. :3 But the deleting comments from submissions and journals sounds awesome!

nothingkat

FARTSMELLA
i wonder how many would go else where with what peeps are proposing for a "paid site"
Dragoneer said he would post a thread on this later and that if we went to a subscribing membership thing, non paying users wouldnt lose anything that we already have....even the front page.

While i dont mind having a subscription, i say we pulled together nicely when needed to donate.

It's just that. It's not fair to the other artists. He already said it'll probably be for stuff like more user page customization and such. He already said he's not taking away existing features from free users, if he ever does make a subscription feature.

I seem to be confused by the term 'fair'. What's not fair is having the website knocked down due to horrible financing. He may say he's not about removing features already given to people but the 'front page' is not a feature. The search option is not yet a feature given to anyone. But exclusive bandwidth, more avatars, front page exposure. If he thinks people are going to pay just to have a customized user page, well prepare for yet another downfall.

I think if, for free, you can surf the site, view artists, comment, receive comments, upload your artwork, watch your favorite artists -- then that's all one would need.

But if someone wants to have a faster bandwidth experience, search the entire site, send private messages back and forth to people, customize their 'gallery' or even have multiple galleries. Have a journal. Have multiple avatars for each picture uploaded/journal entry posted, have front page exposure, Well -

these are features that an artist would glady pay for on a stable server. Even 5 bucks a month. It's not much but it can provide enough to keep FA running.

BondoFox

This is sounding more and more like Public Television. "We'll get back to the show, JUST AS SOON AS we receive five *additional* pledges of $100 apiece!"

I decided I'd come to FA because it was a free site. My art isn't worth paying for and it's a nice place to not only display it but also to meet/greet other artists. If it does become a paysite, I'm out of here. My art also isn't worth someone else making money over.

BondoFox -- my FREE multi-artist/author website -- is and always WILL be free.

BondoFox

nothingkat

FARTSMELLA
I wonder what your basis for comparison is... Besides, trying to persuade a lot of the top level artists to pay for this by force is obviously a bad move... learn, from the past mistakes. :3

the Furry Fandom has grown a lot yes, but we aren't Deviant Art, nor could we support that.

Yes it will still be free technically but if FA were to go that way, lots of people would leave, + the next furry art website to be established the way the people want it to be, since you're pro changing that, will become a magnet for attention by the fandom and quickly grow into what F.A. has accmoplished already.

Which would of course take away from the appeal Fur Affinity has, since that is anti-amature artist.

Fur Affinity is a great website because it's a fun place to be, the people are nice, the website is great to amature artists, and good artists, and the bad artists who are aspiring to get off stick figures. ^_^

Simply by limiting exposure to the people who are the majority of Fur Affinity, and those who make the website so fun (non-artists) then peiople will leave with the obvious results the internet demonstrates time and time again when a site, "Goes pay!" as they say with some kind of hateful conviction.

A lot would go elsewhere. That's obvious.

Dragoneer is too intelligent at running a websie to make the kind of errors people are suggesting. If the staff do go into some sort of pay subscriptions, they'll do it correctly.

Even names like Inuki don't pay on for subscriptions on Deviant Art. (though others have for her as a gift. That's so kind!)

I agree.

Okay I get it. If it's free, more people will join.

But how many times have free sites disappeared? Remember when Furnation use to be the prime free site? It's hardly even a website anymore. And Furaffinity is a BLOATED version of that and in the few years it was up, it's been down more often than one can remember.

I don't understand why people keep saying it's not 'fair' to deny this and that. It's a privilege to even have them.

People are going to leave one website for another but it's not because they have to pay for special features. The basics will still be there. People tend to enjoy FA and want to support it but they will lose more people rapidly through these downtimes. They can fix it and reward those who support it -- therefore limited the number of downtimes. They can even pay to have professional coders touch up the site.

And if they still want to leave because a website wants to make money and maintain itself, then let them leave. Furaffinity needs SUPPORTERS, free, donated, or charged.

People who are paying are paying for the chance to be exposed in FA. It wouldn't matter if you are an amateur or a "professional" furry artist. (I mean, is there even a difference now? Big-name artist still get the most exposure)

But this is about exposure. it's about maintaining a website that goes down too often.

Microsoftt

You can already delete shouts on your shout page. :3 But the deleting comments from submissions and journals sounds awesome!

Oh, okay.

Also, I thought I'd like to add more: put in more advertisements and have a "disable ads" option for paid users.

jfili1021

Thanks to the wonderfull administrators for all their had work in getting up as quickly as they can! Bravo!

Last edited:

Kraton

Single Wolf
ok, now I'm starting to get annoyed...
People need to stop discussing making FA a pay site or having subscribers optional, etc. It's NOT going to happen, and anyone who thinks it should happen really has NO SAY in the matter. You're wasting your time, so STOP ARGUING ABOUT IT! >.<

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
Why don't they make it like DA I pay $30.00 a year subscription which..... Get up to 120 Deviations per page when browsing
Browse with No Ads
Browse Way Back all the way to 2000
Customize 20 slots on your front page
Download art to your Mobile Phone with deviantMOBILE(1)
Make journals with Polls, Forum, Shoutbox, and even CSS

Which I find useless in some points..

1) 60 is enough per page
2) Adblock Plus and Flashblock can do that with Firefox
3) Pointless if you ask me
4) More useless gimmicks, why do that when you can browse the original, shrink it to mobile phone size and put it on your mobile?
5) Even more useless gimmicks

I see no reason to go copycatting DA this way...I just want all the basic features in a site like this (functional search being one big thing)

Last edited:
D

DarkSunDS

God, will you stop proposing to make FA a pay site...?
It's just a very stupid and selfish idea. Based on the amount of donations given, I doubt FA needs more money, unless it crashes badly again, and I doubt it's going to happen soon, considering all the money they've got now and what they can buy compared to the current hardware. Either way, I'd hate to see such a user-friendly community becoming a pay site.

Krim

@Nothingkat

I'm sorry...I could very well be wrong but your idea sounds a bit like "Lets do what DA did and make the site suck ass for anyone who isn't a paid subcriber only lets make it alot worse that way they'll be forced to subscribe if they actually want to do anything worth while!"

freakether3

Re: Server Hardware Fault / OLA U Muchachos/chas!!!

you guys.......there R so many of us here!........
this site is too important to the real underground
of Artists & Musicians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if everybody gave the amount of a pack of Ciggies...or whatever...
FA would B really-rolling!
do U DIG being here.....
nothing is Free!!!....
not even FREEDOM.

jfili1021

Let's start over, hello my name is Jeremie I love FA! Hopefully I will make a lot of friends here! lol

Last edited:

SpiritCreations

Wanted Dead or Alive
do you think the artists like Blotch, Spirit Creations or Artdecade would stick around for that?

my guess is very likely not.

besides... what would stop them from trimming their gallery and just redirecting people to their own sites? don't forget, a lot of artists have actual sites for their art and aren't 100% reliant on FA for storage and display of their work.

and WHOO!!! 50th page post!

Daaww! :3 You put me in the art category of Blotch? XD You're such a sweetie. :D

And yeah, I agree with what you are saying. I have my own website (which Dragoneer helped me get because he is the awesomeness and a fantastic person) but I don't *need* FA to make my sales. However, I do love FA very dearly. I love the people watching me and all the fun comments we throw back and forth at each others. I love helping others improve on their art while receiving criticism about my own. :) I really love the community. So, if FA ever became a site where artists of a certain level had to pay, then I would just keep my free account and sell elsewhere. However, I do like the idea that someone had where if you subscribed, then you got extra happy bonus features, but you don't *have* to subscribe if you can't afford it.

Also, just so ya'll know, even the artists who have a large following aren't necessarily rolling in money. :) We're still barely making it as it is and a good portion of us have to have our crappy regular day jobs like everyone else just to get by and pay our bills. We're called "starving artists" for a reason. :D

Kraton

Single Wolf
No one said this site was free to run, but it is free to those who use it and don't have the capability to donate. I'm sure most of us here would donate if we could. That's why it's a free site: it doesn't cost us anything, we're not paying to keep it running, we're donating because we can, and because we care about the site. We don't HAVE to pay, we WANT to pay.

And hello Jeremie, my name (as most would know me on here as) is Kraton. Get to know me a little better, and I might give out my real name. ^^

*headtilt*

Why am I hearing 'make FA a paysite' suggestions?

The furs behind the scenes needed about $5,000 to ensure good, long-lasting hardware and hosting for a month. Last I checked, the fandom doubled that two days ago, with who knows how many more donations coming in with the past 48 hours.

Unless there's something I really havn't thought of, doesn't this mean we're pretty much set for the next year or so? Even if the staff uses some of the proceeds for themselves, there seems to be enough to cover everything for a good long awhile, and then some.

IF they do it

Free users - keep AS IS, able to view all the art, dont make artists able to make "VIP/Premium only" pics.. that would royally piss me OFF..:mad:
some adverts, not as bad as DA where it like crashes old computers...
maybe put like a 20 second(no more!!) flood control for comments and notes on them

VIP/Premium users- same features as free user, plus NO adverts, no flood control, search function, somewhat customizable profile page, Bigger avatars, HIGHER file-size upload( yet still viewable by the free users), a little Badge under ur username...

Kraton

Single Wolf
*headtilt*

Why am I hearing 'make FA a paysite' suggestions?

The furs behind the scenes needed about $5,000 to ensure good, long-lasting hardware and hosting for a month. Last I checked, the fandom doubled that two days ago, with who knows how many more donations coming in with the past 48 hours.

Unless there's something I really havn't thought of, doesn't this mean we're pretty much set for the next year or so? Even if the staff uses some of the proceeds for themselves, there seems to be enough to cover everything for a good long awhile, and then some.

Exactly. We don't need to pay for FA, we're donating more than enough already. Heck, if people keep donating like this, FA's 15k they have now will turn to 25k rather quickly. The Admins are all set for money, so we can end this silly and rather pointless discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.