• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Server Hardware Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaweed

... is not a piece of flotsam
You'd be disappointed. Look at your own PC and think of one 1/3-1/2 bigger, with extra fans that sounds like a small jet engine when you turn it on :)

Some are longer and about an inch high.

And with the exception of extra cooling, extra processors and memory, and multiple hard drives, it'll do what your PC does, only faster :)

And for about 5 times the money, LOL!! :)

Pi

Now, is the reason for such a large crash known yet? Or have they not pinpointed the exact cause of this?

It's been known for years. Whoever bought the original equipment didn't know the first thing about buying hardware that goes into servers.

selth

Linuxian Dragon
out of pure curiosity, how many people here have seen a mainframe?

Pi

I've seen more weird hardware than I care to recollect. Almost came across owning an AS/400, which I think counts as mainframe.

icehawk

I agree. I'm interested in seeing what the server equipment looks like, as I've never seen that kinda thing before.

It looks like this, it sounds like a jet trying to take off when you start it, and you could use it as a hair dryer if you were to stick your head behind it while it's running.

Kraton

Single Wolf
Erm, litre meet gallon...?

(Now be a good fur and dun keep seaweed off topic after they've been complaining about other people being so ;) *snowie ducks* ^^)
Yeah, I know. I'm speaking of a gallon here. Though I don't drive anything (yet), all I'm hearing today is the prices are around $1.10 a gallon and $1.11 a gallon at all gas stations in this area. Our gas just hasn't really gone up all that much in the past little while. Not as much as the US, at least.

Oh, and right. We should remain on topic. Sorry. *shuts up, cause he doesn't really have much to say that is on topic*

RaireEX08

I'm a fan of 'Reboot'... so does that count? (hah, a joke - 'Wiki if you don't get it)

It's nice to see this topic continuing nicely, but more importantly, to see the monies keep rolling in! Great job everyone! ^_^

Dragon-Commando

Razor, a living wrecking ball!
It looks like this, it sounds like a jet trying to take off when you start it, and you could use it as a hair dryer if you were to stick your head behind it while it's running.

LOL, I had a SCSI drive that used to sound like a jet engine when you turned it on. It was in an, at the time, high speed local file server.
The drive was in its own enclosure with its own power supply because it was so loud we needed to turn it off when we didn't need it.

The drive was one of the first high speed drives you could buy that had 1GB of space, thats right, only 1GB.

Kraton

Single Wolf
Cool. If I ever need a REALLY expensive hair dryer, I'll know what to shop for. XD
Though I don't use hair dryers. XD
*shuts up to let others get back on topic*

mukichan

Chibi Chubbeh Draggie
*shuts up to let others get back on topic*

Are we gonna stay on topic though? We're all drifting off one way or another. lmao!

TehSean

weasyl.com/profile/naoki
Just don't post if you have to type out something akin to "Darn, I should really stay on topic"
FA's provided a big big forum under the header Off-Topic/The Black Hole for that kind of fun.

You're revealing that you had no intention of being on topic and should apologize by not responding.

In order to remain on topic, I just hope that all this flow of money will lead to giving that Eevee person some money to live on so they can devote more time to Ferrox. That way we can get our search back and stuff.

uncia

I've seen more weird hardware than I care to recollect. Almost came across owning an AS/400, which I think counts as mainframe.
Nah, just one of their midrange pieces of kit. Would still look kinda neat in a domestic setting. ;)
I'm pretty sure (from personal experience) that FA doesn't want the running costs of the high-end gear, even though system load would never again be an issue...

@Artie: $ tally has bounced to-and-fro on Amazon: no longer up-to-date owing to lag in their system, but will wait and see I guess. Looks like the card companies are going to be creaming around $500 off the top at present estimates.
@TehSean: the fundraising is for hardware only at present, afaik: FA certainly could use kit to that dimension $-wise and wouldn't go very far at coder rates, anyhow, even as a one-off "bonus". -v-

selth

Linuxian Dragon
all hail FA! you definately can survive...

Ainoko

The Wild And Crazy Hybrid
What's the current amount of money donated btw?

On amazon the current donations stand at $10,559.15
Paypay I beleive is sitting at or around $7,500.00

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Ok, this is nearly 2000 posts of arguing that has been covered in pages that no one is going to bother to read. It's also spreading out to other posts. I don't see any real point in keeping this thread open when things are being recycled. It should have been closed earlier.

FA thanks those who have donated, and the other threads cover where you can donate, ie the Amazon page as an announcement, and that the end of this weekend will be a decision as to what servers to order. It will take time to get those servers shipped, contents moved and put back online.

Again thanks to all but this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.