• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Server Hardware Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sage_mines

This will probably come off a little late, but I think I can donate next Friday.

Kender3421

Now what was that spell again?
No truer statement can be said about everything.
I work as an Aircraft Maintainer, and usually when its something that happens all the time, box swapping is the first thing to happen. But when its something thats really weird...shit, it takes days of research, multiple knowledgeable minds to think about it, and finally...getting down and dirty.

HOLLY SHIT! Another military person? We need to talk because that is by far the best assessment ever.

Back on topic here, I donated $5 even though I just hit some serious financial problems of my own. However, $5 doesn't change anything and I really need some place to post my stories. I love FA and wouldn't change a thing. However, if this place was offering a members area, I would sign up in a heart beat.

Keep up the great work guys and I hope everything works out in the end.

Kender

Ceceil Felias

Never have I seen fail so huge
First of all, thanks for doing all of the work needed to keep the site running. I'm sure it's maddening.

One thing I don't understand is why people are proposing software solutions to a hardware failure problem. If there are server load issues slowing down the site due to inefficient software then expanding the hardware to fix that is indeed merely working around a problem with the software, but if the hardware is actually failing that is not a software problem.

While heavy load may increase the likelihood of a hardware fault appearing, isn't it true that hardware is designed to work? If hardware is faulty and fails, that's not the software's fault. Inefficient software can't break a properly running machine; it can merely bog it down.

If overworked hardware had anything to do with this, I'd imagine it merely accelerated the deterioration of already faulty hardware. Properly functional hardware doesn't just break all because of a bit of inefficient code.

And besides, isn't Ferrox underway which will address many of the software issues anyway?
I've said before that the only way it could be software was if there was corruption somewhere, such as the kernel or device drivers, and corruption is not something that happens completely at random either, looping right back around to a potential hardware failure.

Isn't technology great? \o/

kamperkiller

Art Whore
lol yeah... I'm to poor for Paypal so do you take cash?
As for Ideas about donations remember people are cheap. So if you give them a “reason to donate” they will because the “It’s free anyways” will not work because so is 4chan. No you need to give them prizes.

As for the donations Ideas I like the PBS way of handling things...
For $1-5 you get a thanks from the FA staff robot.
For $20 you get a $5 shirt with "Custom text" saying I vote Fur! or something like that.
For $40 you get A $10 commission from any artist in a list. The artists get a spiffy title on their pages.
For $60 you get 1 from A and 1 from B.
For $100 you get A singed letter from the FA staff and A & B
For $500 you get a server named after you or your character.
For $1000 you get a seat in the admin’s chair for a day.

For whoever donates the most for the month gets their Account linked from the FA main page the following month.

As for the parts for each useable HD, Mother board and other server supplies combined you get A $5 T-shirt.

For the programming release a bit of the code you are having issues with and the first to fix it gets a "Cookie." The cookies is what ever the FA staff deems fair.

and for some quick money rent out the basement to an add client. weather it be users advertising their accounts, myspace, Google, Random sex toy for the Adult accounts. Remind them that each day you get on average X amount of visits and that at lest 10% will fallow the links and 50% of them will buy something.

Remember I am crazy so if you don't like the ideas well, Suck it!

WolfGTX

Guys. Don't beat around the bush. Just donate as much as you can / want. and worry about the consequences later. I donated 20$ and I'm in debt 4000$. Medical reasons.

Kender3421

No you need to give them prizes.

For $20 you get a $5 shirt with "Custom text" saying I vote Fur! or something like that.
For $40 you get A $10 commission from any artist in a list. The artists get a spiffy title on their pages.

I like prizes. I'd gladly donate $40 some time soon if this were the case.

kamperkiller

Art Whore
Isn't technology great? \o/

remember this there are only 3 reasons for technology failure. only 3.
1. Is it hard where failure? Find issue and Replace/ repair
2. Is it Software failure? Find issue and Replace/ repair
3. Is it User related? Find user brake keyboard.

I feel the issue is all 3.
1. We figured that one a while ago. The good parts get older and we grow in numbers, of corse something is going to give after a while.

2. Remembering what one of the admin’s said a while ago (paraphrasing a little) The fact that FA was running at all when they got it from the first guy was proof that there is a god and it needed a major overhaul. In which I'm thankful that they took the time and effort to fix what they could. but that's a lot of code to go through and eventually there will be breakdowns or even a cold of some sort made its way through the filters It happens.

3. We are kind of to blame filling all that space and making the lives of the FA staff very difficult. not to mention there were people that had this before our guys got to it.

In short, Quit your bitiching these guys are doing what they can with what they’ve got.

RANQuickFox

Homo Homini Lupus
Lend a Hand?
Unfortunately fixes cost money, especially to the level that we need in this instance. If anybody is willing to help out we are accepting donations via Amazon or Paypal. We greatly appreciate any assistance in helping in this matter.

$50 headed your way, hope that helps.

starlite528

In my experience, seemingly random errors that affect seemingly random parts of the system have been caused by a faulty power supply. I've also seen power supplies (plural) fail simply from being plugged in.

I wouldn't rule out that being the source, since you've had power problems from the previous colo company.

dmfalk

OK, as far as I can tell, one of 5 servers is busted- Couldn't FA function, albeit with reduced traffic capacity, on the remaining 4, while trying to get a replacement? I may be wrong on this... :p

At the very least, it would be nice to get FA redirected to the "FurAffinity Will Return" page, with a short explanatory text and links to both the forum and for donations, if it's really going to be down for many days, as it sounds like, instead of a "Network Timeout" page that Firefox is throwing at me.

d.m.f.

Kender3421

I don't know if everyone is watching the donations link to Amazon, but we are almost at 2K. I'll donate my money I was saving for a new video game if it helps.

kamperkiller

Art Whore
This one is actually true, I speak from personal experience.
:D

In my experience, seemingly random errors that affect seemingly random parts of the system have been caused by a faulty power supply. I've also seen power supplies (plural) fail simply from being plugged in.

I wouldn't rule out that being the source, since you've had power problems from the previous colo company.

lol that would fallow under #1 on my reasons why PC's fail. Hardware failure... Surge problems and RF interference were my personal power contributions. A radio can do untold amounts of damage to a computer. (google up EM fields/ pulse) that and shoty construction will ruin any good component. I mean by god what are they paying those babies for anywise Get it right or no supper. (don't ban me it's a joke a messed up one but still.) Baby jokes aside. I've seen power supplies just blow a Motherboard without reason... kind of. Come to find out the pencil sharpener was to blame. the motor sent out a EM field strong enough to cause a radio like effect and super charge some of the parts and BOOM! it went.

Sorry about the late night rants It's 5 and my mind begins to wander...

starlite528

lol that would fallow under #1 on my reasons why PC's fail. Hardware failure... Surge problems and RF interference were my personal power contributions. A radio can do untold amounts of damage to a computer. (google up EM fields/ pulse) that and shoty construction will ruin any good component. I mean by god what are they paying those babies for anywise Get it right or no supper. (don't ban me it's a joke a messed up one but still.) Baby jokes aside. I've seen power supplies just blow a Motherboard without reason... kind of. Come to find out the pencil sharpener was to blame. the motor sent out a EM field strong enough to cause a radio like effect and super charge some of the parts and BOOM! it went.

Sorry about the late night rants It's 5 and my mind begins to wander...

My father used to shutoff the computer to get me to go to bed at night, by killing the breaker. I turned it back on and heard a loud snapping bang from the PC. A cap and transistor blew, fortunately not destroying anything else down the line. Another one failed when I moved it and plugged it in at another house, this one destroying the motherboard somehow.

Believe it or not, my advice on the power supply issue was taught to me by very knowledgeable instructors in a PC Repair class.

on the other hand, its really nice to see people like you here, trying everything you can to help out :)

*bows*

Well, I suppose percentages from eGold as standard payment service on FA commissions would do much more for FA funding than mere donations ever could in a lifetime.

kamperkiller

Art Whore
My father used to shutoff the computer to get me to go to bed at night, by killing the breaker. I turned it back on and heard a loud snapping bang from the PC. A cap and transistor blew, fortunately not destroying anything else down the line. Another one failed when I moved it and plugged it in at another house, this one destroying the motherboard somehow.

Believe it or not, my advice on the power supply issue was taught to me by very knowledgeable instructors in a PC Repair class.

but seriously, ANY THING!!!! that uses more than 5 amps or gives off strong radio interference should be put well away from you computer. this means Blenders, Pencil sharpeners, hair driers, A lot of your new TV's and monitors, CB Boosters, many cell phones. Basically anything that interferes with your tv (boob tube models) when in use is bad around your computers.

Last edited:

selth

Linuxian Dragon
Wish you luck and patience, may you be able to collect funds or create the ultimate server...

what, who said solaris? yep, true, sparc can run 24-25 years without rebooting... but... look at the prices! and sun stopped them...

and anyway, nobody dwants to reboot a solaris. never. ever.

on this note... I hope you can overcome those filthy hardware problems!

selth

Linuxian Dragon
the fact is, if you make people pay for FA there will be lots less people around, because some just don't have credit cards. I don't have numbers, but I think lots of people wouldn't pay.

other option is advertising... and asking a charge to remove it.
advertising gives lots money!

Phsuke

Artist Persons
Not sure the details on this, but there was something discussed about t-shirts FA was selling? Perhaps opening up to some merchandising could be beneficial to raise funds. Obviously donations would still be needed, just throwing in two cents.

kamperkiller

Art Whore

Phsuke said:
Not sure the details on this, but there was something discussed about t-shirts FA was selling? Perhaps opening up to some merchandising could be beneficial to raise funds. Obviously donations would still be needed, just throwing in two cents.

:)

Why ask for money for extraordinary stuff (t-shirts, servers) instead of taking money for usual stuff happening everyday while avoiding mandatory fees for simply using FA?

I mean what do artists bother if they get only $9.95 out of their $10 commission? 4 Cents from each transaction for eGold, 1 Cent for FA.

Do the math. The owners of eBay became multi-millionaires this way within weeks. I guess at the very least these percentages would be enough to afford FA better hardware, software, coders, and, finally, reliability.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
It's really too bad that you can't physically get in to the colo to actually diagnose the issue yourselves. Running a Memtest86+ for a few passes, running some hard disk diagnostics, checking the motherboard for physical failure (blown capacitors, etc), checking the cooling for failure/inadequacies, testing power supply voltages, etc. That would be the least expensive solution overall...

But all the same, the main reason I registered here at this time was because I saw some comments on the software side. Software has nothing to do with hardware failure, well-coded or not, and as a rule, software running within a modern OS will virtually never cause physical hardware failure, except in the case of things like flashing a BIOS. What's more, the software in question is a series of PHP scripts, which is run by another piece of software (two, actually; PHP and (My)SQL) within another piece of software (Apache/etc (the HTTP server software itself)). There is nothing that a PHP script can do to a server's hardware condition, and that's assuming malicious code is being run.

I needed to clear that up, because I don't think anyone has yet. All said, I wish you luck with the new server and the migration, guys. I wish I could help, but I'm in no position financially to give you any monetary support.

I don't remember anybody saying anything about "software troubles causing hardware troubles". Many people simply said that FA is both, made of lots of inefficient, buggy old cruftcode, and maintained by admins too busy with RL/too poor to see about proper hardware.

And of course throwing money at FA would help both, it's only that mandatory fees for simply *using* FA as some people here keep suggesting simply ain't the way to go.

Rama

Wow...it's amazing that your goal was already reached. Thrown you guys some money anyways...I use this site enough. Good luck in getting it back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.