• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Share your thoughts

Laika

Creeper
I am curious what people think when they would look at my work.
I just finished this and I would appreciate any thoughts/ critiques on it.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/13166526/
Really just want to know what you think of the coloring/ shading style.
I know the anatomy has issues and the background is blah.
Thanks!

Eiriol

Oh wow. The way you talked it down I was not expecting this. It's amazing =D I love the way it's coloured. It kind of reminds me of the pictures you get on jigsaw puzzles lol. The fur looks strokeably soft and the details are perfect, from the shine of the eyes right down to the outline of the torn ear. I love it, you have a real talent there =) If you don't do commissions already, you should seriously consider it.

Blekarotva

The fur lacks direction, which makes it look flat. Fur follows certain directions depending where it is, this should be helpful. The way your shading is currently makes the fur look like scales.
The shading looks really weird in my opinion. You're trying to do a realistic (painting?) method, but your shapes/construction is so weak that the realistic shading looks very off. The variety of fur texturing doesn't help either. The red cat got a lot of texture, while the purple one got entire areas where the color is flat, it looks inconsistent, and it gives the red a cat way too much info drawing all the attention.

You should look photos of furred animals and observe how fur and shapes covered with fur work.

I would point anatomy issues, but I'm not sure if you want to read them.

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
^ That was a rather harsh.
But true. A comment like that is much more useful than a hundred "OMG your work is the best ever" comments. I'm not an artist but I am a musician/composer. I'd rather have a comment telling me what to work on and improve than a comment to stroke my ego. :V

edit: Don't get me wrong, OP has great work, but I'm not an artist and therefore can't give worthwhile and in-depth critiques. That's why I usually refrain from posting here.

Last edited:

Hewge

Banana Party
Banned

And what you said was just plain useless. As useless as my post is right now! There's a possibility that my post is, in fact, more useless.
You learn more from an actual criticism - not from epeen stroking "ermergerd you should do commissions :3" comments. This might feather an ego, but it will not help someone draw better. Which kind of defeats the entire point.

Blekarotva provided some actually useful thoughts already, in my opinion. So I don't really have anything to say. Oops.

Edit: Damnit Rap-man! I wanted to do it!

Lyris

I think it's pretty damn good. I like the style and technique. I'm not a trained artist though.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes

Complimenting someone's art when they ask for a crit is fine, but please refrain from posting comments like these.

To add on to what Blekarotva said, the way you've rendered the fur makes it look needlessly detailed, which is a mistake a lot of amateur artists make when they think that every single hair needs to be rendered to make it look realistic. Some areas of the fur also suffers from pillow shading.

You should think of rendering fur in clumps, rather than in terms of a single hair.

Small_and_Simple_Fur_Tutorial_by_sugarpoultry.png

Last edited:

Blekarotva

No.
If I wanted to be harsh I would have. I'm studying Plastic Art at university, this is my fourth year. I've been turned down and questioned by teachers for the past three years. I've seen classmates destroyed emotionally by teachers' opinion on their works. My comment was was far from harsh, it wasn not sugar coated but it was straight to the point.

Complimenting someone's art when they ask for a crit is fine, but please refrain from posting comments like these.

To add on to what Blekarotva said, the way you've rendered the fur makes it look needlessly detailed, which is a mistake a lot of amateur artists make when they think that every single hair needs to be rendered to make it look realistic. Some areas of the fur also suffers from pillow shading.

You should think of rendering fur in clumps, rather than in terms of a single hair.

Small_and_Simple_Fur_Tutorial_by_sugarpoultry.png

Damn this is helpful. Thanks!

Laika

Creeper
Drama!! I created drama oh no!

Thank you everyone.
I may not use any of those totorials, I im not gong for perfect reality, i realky enjoy my style even knowing its flawed, and for someone who does art just for fun with no intention of profit, i think that is all that matters.
But thank you agsin, i may come back to those in the future!

spanglish

Ball Tickler
I know you're focusing on the rendering but I think you really need to focus on the actual anatomy, pose, expressions and movement of the underlying piece. A really strong drawing can carry a bad rendering but a bad drawing with the most beautiful colouring is still a bad drawing. If you want to keep your current style of colouring and you don't want to improve your realistic fur rendering, that's fine, but really make the style your own. Sharpen the points of fur, define them make your style strong otherwise it looks like a bad attempt at fur.

Fur is shaped by the bones and muscle under it, study photos and skeletons and really boost your anatomical knowledge before thinking about what goes on top of the skin C: