• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Shared Worlds: A community World Building Project

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
The idea of a shared universe, or a shared world isn't a new one. Essentially a group of writers make, develop, or improvise a world and then write (usually) independent stories inside of it. Furry Fandom has had several, and though most of them are inactive a good number of them boast more than 50 stories and more than half a decade of effort.

I think this would be fun. My personal life has largely drowned out my impetus to write things and I think that a group project would be a good way to get back on the saddle. Plus it'd be good practice for writers to produce a story that they can be proud of in a setting they may or may not feel comfortable with initially.

What do you guys think? Good idea or bad? If you're all down, then how would we go about creating the universe in the first place? I've got a few ideas but I don't want to be laying down rules for a project that wouldn't be even mostly mine. Do you feel the same? Please, share your input.

EDIT
Here's the working draft for the High Risks,High Rewards world by Browder.

Here's the working draft for the Tango Extraño world by Sunandshadow (EDIT not really a world. A collection of ideas. I misinterpreted the intentions of the author. Still the name is cool and I'm keeping it.).

And here's Pliio's as of yet unnamed Sci-fi world draft.

In all cases, comments and critiques are appreciated.
Authors:
Browder
Ticon
Altamont
Sunandshadow
Pliio8

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
I like building worlds but I've only once had someone express interest in writing a story set in one of my worlds, so I have doubts whether anything I suggested would gather writers.

But here's a thought, maybe we should mention our favorite existing shared worlds, and describe what made them great/inspiring to write, roleplay in, and read. Also what are your favorite fandoms to write and read fanfic for, and why?

Example: One of my favorite shared worlds was The Palace of Keys. The setting was a vast magical brothel where the slaves were referred to as keys, and ownership of each was symbolized by a physical key which opened the door of that slave's suite. Challenges for keyfic writers often came as a themed set of keys - one was sign of the zodiac, one was gemstones, etc. A second type of challenge I was not fond of, but others liked, was that writers could create a character to be a key or an owner, then post these characters for adoption by other writers (to use in their stories). Some stories were co-written by two people roleplaying the key and owner. A nice thing about this universe was that the brothel was supposed to exist pretty much every time and place, so the setting outside the brothel could be basically whatever the writer(s) wanted. And perhaps my favorite aspect of the shared world is that it specified that all stories would be romance and/or erotica, a reader would not find a random story of another genre in the keyfic archive.

Or, do you think it would be more useful to skip the 'favorites' stage and go directly to everyone suggesting possible shared world themes and elements?

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
Firstly, that's an incredibly cool sounding world.

I just think that we should skip to what we want to write about though. C:

I'm pretty much down for anything as long as it doesn't limit me to only one character at only one class level. The Key world has strict rules where you either have to write as an owner or a prostitute, and strict color coordination. I'm not really a fan. I like a world where you can describe the realities of a situation or a setting from the point of view of virtually anyone who lives in that setting. For example I would have liked to write as a customer maybe. Or a legislator who was trying to issue a crack down on the brothel. by the rules you posted that wouldn't be allowed.

Like I said, I'm down for anything, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Future, Present, Past, Earth, or Otherworld. I just want to be able to explore a full scope of characters. Oh, and obviously I feel like it should be anthropomorphic in nature.

I'll get you guys started; Suddenly on people are changing in to animals for no reason and animals are turning into people. The numbers appear to be balanced and there are only about Thirty-Thousand "swaps" per year. The stories would explore how both humans deal with being animals and animals deal with being human. Like? Don't like? Post yours!

Sounds like a fun idea to me; if I wasn't working on a couple of writing projects already I would be inclined to join. As it stands, I'll just throw out some brainstorms of my own.

Browder: Sounds interesting, at least. You'd have news reporters at the scene, (maybe even have them change mid-reporting) government scientists poking and prodding at the changees, maybe some rioting... Could be fun.

Here are my brainstorms.

Scifi: Instead of traveling space via ships large gates left on worlds and space platforms allow for many different species of different tech levels to meet eachother.

Blagggh. That's the first scifi thing that pops into my head, and it is nothing but a rip-off of stargate. Could be salvaged via ignoring that series completely and going through with our own plotlines. Wouldn't have to be humanity, lets just say that a Napoleonic-era civilization finds their gate and sends some musketfurs through, startling the bronze-age population chucking spears at eachother.

Fantasy: Could have a fantasy multi-verse where an all-powerful god or pantheon of gods create many different worlds that worship them exclusively; these worlds worship the same gods but have different fantasy themes. One could be Tolkien-esque, with an epic struggle of good vs evil, another could be like a Song of Ice and Fire, another could be a pastiche of D&D, ETC. Priests of the gods and such could cross-over into different worlds and still connect with eachother via religion.

Wait, I've had another brilliant idea (stop me if my ideas are just too cliché or lame)

had a dream once where I was a knight; went through a stonehenge-like portal after a battle and ended up fighting furries instead. As an elaboration, lets say a group of the nastiest and most bigoted crusaders in Europe, the Teutonics, went through a portal of their own and discovered one more pagan land to conquer, civilize, and bring Christianity to, that happens to be furrier than the last one. Theres only a few of them, no more than a hundred, as opposed to hundreds of immediate hostiles and an entire world against them.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
The first and last ideas are pretty cool. Sorry you can't be part of this (for now) nonexistent project.

sunandshadow

Not really keen on a lot of people randomly turning into animals, but I did enjoy some harry potter fanfics where one of the characters got transfigured into an animal and stuck that way for several days until they were rescued. Being the lone animal in a human world just strikes me as more interesting as being one of a group of ex-human animals. It would also be interesting to find yourself in a non-human body and suddenly have to learn to live in an established society of these non-humans.

My pet idea that I would have turned into a group roleplay if I had more motivation, is this: A group of warriors (mercenaries or the remnants of a defeated army or a ninja clan, whatever) find themselves wealthy at the end of a war, but their population is too small. So they decide to acquire a lot of spouses. They might hire a matchmaker, or someone among the group could take the role of matchmaker, and the spouses might be bought from their parents, mail-order brides, or purchased slaves. The individual stories would then be about one warrior and one outsider getting together, with possible interference or threats from rivals, the matchmaker, the families of both parties, and the warriors' old enemies. There would be room for some variants like one of the warriors being incestuously in love with a relative and thus not wanting to be matched with an outsider, or two outsiders deciding they preferred each other, or a gay couple resorting to mpreg because the point of getting the spouses is to increase the clan. The matchmaker character could of course have their own romance.

This idea would work in several settings, the only real requirement is that they be relatively peaceful and non-modern (either fantasy or sci-fi would work). People who didn't want to write romance could use the same general setting as long as they didn't make horrific or violent events happen in the same specific location.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
The universe you suggest seems a tad, relationship-centric for my tastes. Still I'm willing to try.

sunandshadow

Yeah, personally I don't see the point of stories that aren't at least partly about the development of a relationship (preferably a romance), but I'm aware there are a lot of writers and readers out there who aren't really interested in relationships as subject matter. I could suggest different types of worlds, for example one with lots of superheros and supervillains running around and school rivalry between the hero school and the villain school, or a situation of first contact between humans and a race of anthro aliens, but to me those settings are interesting because of their potential for romance, not for action or adventure or some other genre. That's just how I see things. *shrug*

reian

'ample breasted'
This sounds interesting...

A neat world idea that http://www.furaffinity.com/user/darkr3x and I have come up with is something where there are Humans, Anthros, and a mix between the two called halfers. I wrote my character Variel as the launch for the world and he adapted it a little bit for his two of his characters. It allows for a large number of writing styles and character types as well as interesting interactions between all characters should that happen. My version of the worl is a little more...cut throat than his version, but it has the same basis.

It also helps that we live together and can actually talk these ideas out XD

Pliio8

Has No Compassion
I love Con-Worlding, its a hobby of mine to design planets and universes with technologies and Cultures. Should such a collaboration come about, what would you need help on?

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
This sounds interesting...

A neat world idea that http://www.furaffinity.com/user/darkr3x and I have come up with is something where there are Humans, Anthros, and a mix between the two called halfers. I wrote my character Variel as the launch for the world and he adapted it a little bit for his two of his characters. It allows for a large number of writing styles and character types as well as interesting interactions between all characters should that happen. My version of the worl is a little more...cut throat than his version, but it has the same basis.

It also helps that we live together and can actually talk these ideas out XD

The user link doesn't work but I'd love to see whatever you have.

And we're just working on conceptualization for a setting right now. It can be anywhere, anytime, anyworld. Right now we're in the "through out ideas" stage, so whatever input you have will be welcome Pliio.

sunandshadow

I was thinking about what all the fandoms and shared worlds I like have in common, and I think one of the most important elements of a good shared world is that it has at least two distinctly different races/cultures who can look at each other as foreigners. This can be a hero side vs. a villain side, or humans vs. aliens, or humans vs. a mythological race such as dragons or centaurs, or one type of anthro vs. an anthro based on different type of animal (flying vs. ground-bound, or predator vs. prey or some other archetypal enemies like dog vs. cat).

Asswings

Banned
Banned
I might look (and act) like a derp most of the time, but I'm actually incredibly interested in writing stories, and especially community worlds. Reminds me of Tales of the Vulgar Unicorn and other Thieves' world books, which is a GOOD thing. I would be all for this. I may not write stuff for FA, but I do write, and this sounds like an amazing idea.

Have any of you guys thought about Steampunk? It's kind of a mash-up as is, and can be combined with even more genres (Think unexplored woods with more tribal groups, you could add groups that are exploring actual magic, maybe there's a slave-trade, ect) so it might be a good place to start, so there's variety for people to focus on.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
Steampunk sounds fine, but I'm not a fan of the "One group versus the other" idea. I like it when there's an interesting setting or situation that different characters approach in ways unique to them, thus showing what makes both the setting and themselves interesting.

Asswings

Banned
Banned
Not so much fighting against each other, but more coexisting in a general area, if that's what you mean. But I'm pretty sure you mean not so much one person one group but just one group at all, which I do agree sounds more interesting, now that I think about it. You'd have to definately set up a very defined setting for that, I'd think. Maybe not even use a genre? But that might end up TOO clusterfuck-y.
I dunno. I'll definately keep an eye on this thread, though! I wanna be part of this. XD

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
Not so much fighting against each other, but more coexisting in a general area, if that's what you mean. But I'm pretty sure you mean not so much one person one group but just one group at all, which I do agree sounds more interesting, now that I think about it. You'd have to definately set up a very defined setting for that, I'd think. Maybe not even use a genre? But that might end up TOO clusterfuck-y.
I dunno. I'll definately keep an eye on this thread, though! I wanna be part of this. XD

I was mostly replying to Sun. I'll try to lay out a draft soon though. you guys can modify it if you want.

Asswings

Banned
Banned
Oh, I guess that makes sense. XD
I'll check for the draft when I get back from DnD. :D

EDIT: I'd also prefer to shy away from pure relationship worlds, the majority of what I would write would not include romance, so that would be seriously limiting to me, as I don't really feel like writing smut.

Last edited:

sunandshadow

I didn't mean one group vs. the other in the sense of a war. But I think many of the best stories have two characters who are physically and culturally alien to each other learning about each other and becoming friends or more. Overcoming prejudice is another great theme. One of the things I like least about modern settings is that there's no frontier, no first contact with 'the other'.

Steampunk isn't one of my favorite settings unless it's a more heavily magical, less gears-and-springs version of the setting. I tried working on a steampunk setting once before but no two people involved in the project could agree on what steampunk was and what a steampunk world should be like.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
Draft:

The High Risks, High Rewards World

In this version of Earth there’s a Spirit World, invisible and intangible to anyone with not in the know. Time doesn’t run the same way, and things like physics are fluid. Like the material world above and around it, most of the inhabitants of the spirit world don’t know that there’s anything else, except for the eldest whom humans have called Oreisha, Faeries, Yukai, or Gods. When on Earth they incarnate as animals.

One day, mostly for shits and giggles, a powerful human and a powerful spirit got together and decided to tear the divider that kept the two worlds apart. The barrier is resilient so the effect was only limited to Vegas, the human’s place of origin. Chaos quickly ensued and just as quickly ebbed away as the new laws of nature for the city kicked in. They did it badly.

Imitating the spirits, all humans within the city are now animal-people, the animal’s taken seemingly out of random. While in poor taste, it’s not uncommon for residents to eat one another based on species. Everyone can breed, but the offspring is usually never that of either of the parents. There are no hybrids or mythological species.

Furthermore Las Vegas doesn’t exist in time like everything else does. Chunks of the future and past have settled around it making it rife with anachronisms. Time still moves forward with the rest of the present but people, things and technology have drifted and settled in the city from history and many possible futures. However screwy this is, things have settled down. People in Las Vegas cannot and do not time travel.

Las Vegas has no corresponding Spirit world overlaying it. It is it’s own corresponding spirit world. As a result opportunistic spirits now given corporal form (less than 100) occasionally like to have fun with the population. Since it’s Las Vegas though, all magic has to be done through games of chance, shows, glitz and glammer. The magic may run wild by itself and often does. The post-humans cannot do it. The one sorceress who could has skipped town.

Regardless of how screwy this is, most of the inhabitants don’t notice. It’s always been Reality although it makes little sense if examined with the rest of the world. Once someone leaves Vegas the effect ends. All news they get and receive makes sense from both parties although the subconscious has a moments pause when it goes WTF? Outside there are still humans. Inside Vegas Cats are eating Mice who cheat at cards. The new Reality although sloppy, won’t let anyone acknowledge this as out of the ordinary.

Inspired by this song, and this show (barely NSFW. Barely.).

Last edited:

Asswings

Banned
Banned
I.... Really really like this idea. A LOT, haha. I actually can't think of a way to improve it, at the moment, but I'll think more on it. :D ffff sign me uppp. XD

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
Cool. I've added you as an author in the OP. I've also linked to the draft.

Last edited:

Asswings

Banned
Banned
I didn't get to see what you linked yesterday... Ahaha, now you make me want to write one inspired by Some Kind of Nature.

So, for rules... Hrmmm. I guess one thing to set down is characters. I know there aren't any stories yet, but there will be at some point. XD
So should characters from other peoples' stories be untouchable, or only mentionable, or usable to a small extent, or what? Personally I like the idea of being able to have characters from other stories in your own as like... Side characters, just because it is a smallish location and it helps tie them together. What I do want to avoid though is people killing off main characters from other people's stories, or eating them, ect.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
I didn't get to see what you linked yesterday... Ahaha, now you make me want to write one inspired by Some Kind of Nature.

So, for rules... Hrmmm. I guess one thing to set down is characters. I know there aren't any stories yet, but there will be at some point. XD
So should characters from other peoples' stories be untouchable, or only mentionable, or usable to a small extent, or what? Personally I like the idea of being able to have characters from other stories in your own as like... Side characters, just because it is a smallish location and it helps tie them together. What I do want to avoid though is people killing off main characters from other people's stories, or eating them, ect.

Sounds fair. Maybe you have to tell the author if you're planning to do anything major.

Altamont

The Bard of the Beasts
Hey guys! I hope it's not too late to join in on this shared worlds project; I've always been interested in participating in this sort of venture :) So are we going with Browder's "High Risks, High Rewards" idea? It sounds really cool :) If people are still shopping around ideas, though, I've been working on a concept called Third Earth for awhile now, if you're interested in hearing of it.