• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Shelf life of foods

I was wondering what kind of foods have a long shelf life.

I already know about Tactical Canned Bacon, it lasts over 10 years.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
There are three types of foods with shelf lives:

Those with short shelf lives, such as bread. Things that would be easily spoiled by mold or bacteria.

Those with long shelf lives, such as rice/dry beans/noodles.

Those with half-lives, such as Vienna Sausages.

Mostly it is common sense to understand what will and won't spoil.

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
this is probably the weirdest question i've seen in a long time.
but ramen last a long time i think

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Omg Vienna sausages...I know no rp-ing is allowed but

*barfs all over everything*

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
food in sealed cans with a protective gas atmosphere will pretty much last forever as long as the can is undamaged.
everything that is very dry will also last for an extremely long time as long as it doesnt get wet and is stored in a dry environment.
honey lasts forever. they found honey in egyptian tombs. the stuff was over 2000 years old but still edible.

Dreaming

Most canned things, they're vacuum sealed and protected from the air, and dried foods like pasta. Anything fresh will perish sooner really.

E

Elim Garak

Canned food, dry food et all are pretty good.
NBC bunkers are/were usually stuffed with canned food and military MREs, even canned survival biscuit.
NBC bunkers are meant for long time use so they have to have this shit, the larger ones may come with underground garden.

Greg

Striata
It might have been a myth but I've heard beef jerky lasts for a pretty long time.

This makes sense as my friends dad sells beef jerky and it's made in a similar way to how the buccaneers did it. i've never tried it though. it's called jack lick or some shit like that.

Pipsqueak

Canned survival biscuits last a very long time. Someone had brought a can of them from 1966 to AC and opened it up. The biscuits (although really they're more like crackers) were still edible. Indeed, they didn't even look or taste all that out of the ordinary. Mind you they didn't taste good, but that was the recipe was for longevity- not taste.

Grimfang

If you're just looking to keep extra food around for emergency cases, it's best to remember to rotate your food stock as well. I think it happens a lot, people buying lots of long-shelf-life foods, and then five or some years later, they have shelves of spoiled food. So if you like canned corn, keep a stock of that, and eat/replace it in a smart manner.

Littlerock

numb with cold
Those with half-lives, such as Vienna Sausages.

Holy shit my sides. I laughed way too hard at this.

Also, when stored properly, flour has a pretty high shelf-life. Honey's got the highest I think. Dried fishes, meats, and fruits are long lasting too, like salted meats and jerkeys. Obviously MRE's have a massive shelf-life, but tend to be a bad idea when eaten with nothing else. If you plan to make an emergency food kit of mostly MRE's, for the love of all that is faceted and shiny, be sure to include a fiber supplement too.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
When putting together a survival kit, I found some stuff that supposedly lasts for upwards of 20 years. It's basically a powder you can make into a paste.

I hope to god the apocalypse doesn't come in my lifetime. It's going to suck so much.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
When putting together a survival kit, I found some stuff that supposedly lasts for upwards of 20 years. It's basically a powder you can make into a paste.

I hope to god the apocalypse doesn't come in my lifetime. It's going to suck so much.

i think we all are gonna be fine in a situation like that as long as we actually find food. it is perfectly fine to eat food that is a tiny bit over the edge. you would be surprised how resilient our guts can be!
the main problem would be finding water. because most people dont know which water you can actually drink.
salt water is pretty obvious. but your own urine and stagnant water also have to be avoided. flowing water is where its at and even then you might have problems.
your body can handle a little spoiled food but when you start drinking foul water your water input will end up being smaller than your output.
finding food should be a priority but finding water and making sure that people can find you have to be considered above all else.

E

Elim Garak

i think we all are gonna be fine in a situation like that as long as we actually find food. it is perfectly fine to eat food that is a tiny bit over the edge. you would be surprised how resilient our guts can be!
the main problem would be finding water. because most people dont know which water you can actually drink.
salt water is pretty obvious. but your own urine and stagnant water also have to be avoided. flowing water is where its at and even then you might have problems.
your body can handle a little spoiled food but when you start drinking foul water your water input will end up being smaller than your output.
finding food should be a priority but finding water and making sure that people can find you have to be considered above all else.
There's several ways to clean water, NBC shelters need lots of water as well.
The thing is there won't be an event where we'll find food that would make us go on survival in the modern countries.
Nuclear, biological or chemical disasters/attacks will fuck up all food supplies and it will run out quickly, it will be hard to farm as well, lot's of animals would be dead and in case of a nuclear attack all electronics will be dead, so cars and lot's of other important things will not work. Water, soil and metal absorb radiation, chemical and biological problems will affect these as well.
Earthquakes and all will be "disaster" but we wouldn't need a real big survival kit because when you get pulled out, you go to the hospital in an unaffected area and live around there till shit is rebuilt.
So to summarize, "apocalyptic" scale events there wouldn't be much left out there.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
Honey, altoids, and anything dehydrated could be used as rations during a nuclear holocaust.

E

Elim Garak

Honey, altoids, and anything dehydrated could be used as rations during a nuclear holocaust.
Good nutrition values is very important of course for survival and health until the outside is safe enough.
Offtopic:
Though I am pretty sure with the MAD policy and systems like Systema Perimetr(Aka Dead Hand) there won't be much left of the world, and if there is Africa would be safest due to the lack of ICBM silos and other targets the nuclear triage would go after.

The nuclear game is all about destroying each other without any win scenario, luckily its more of a deterrent but there's lots of systems aimed at survival of the government and command structure in place just in case. Moscow Metro 2, Cheyenne mountain, Operation Looking Glass, Nightwatch/Boeing E-4 and of course the famous Nuclear "Football" and Russia's version Cheget. There is no way to stop the enemy from retaliating, even if you take out the silos,nuclear bombers, mobile units and submarines can do as much damage and even the most advanced ABMs can't stop MIRVs.

Tom03

Really nice talking about shelf life of foods, and also really nice above comments, guys, i also want to say something about shelf life of foods, guys, i also really like shelf life of foods, because it's too yum-me and tasty ...

Suezotiger

My mom gets this gluten free bread that lasts about 2 years. That's the longest I've ever seen out of things that aren't stored in a can/jar.

As far as stockpiling goes, my high school German teacher says that all you need to do is stockpile water and ammunition. Just take whatever else you need from someone else.