Shin Megami Tensei V

ZeroVoidTime

After a long wait we got news that Shin Megami Tensei V is still a thing and will be released next year 2021. I am personally looking forward to this along with Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster.
Trailer:

I think SMT V will be a deconstruction of the storyline of SMT III as it is awfully suspicious that the main protagonist meets a demon that is shaded out upon first meeting in the trailer (This could be potentially be the Demi-Fiend from SMT III). It would make sense as SMT III is getting an HD upgrade and Shin Megami Tensei as a series tends to deconstruct itself frequently to show the nasty consequences of players decisions.
(I would have posted this three months ago but the forums were down and forgot to post it before it went down.)

Toby_Morpheus

Inside the simulation
I'll play it if it comes on PC
Since the series got good sales recently on PC, I wouldn't doubt it.

FrostyTheDragon

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
I kinda downplay my enthusiasm for the SMT series because I've known someone who is TRULY dedicated, to the point where he whines that a lot of the games are too EASY. (And while they ARE easier than most people give them credit for, SMT requires a firm grip of the system more than most. Status effects and debuffs matter WAY more here than many RPGs, and bosses aren't exactly immune to either.)

This is actually the app I'm waiting for when it comes to Switch games.

So 3 and v will be a good way to start
If you're coming in from Persona or Devil Survivor then you might be able to use 3 to make your leap into the series. I'm reluctant beyond that point, though - 3 is actually one of the harder entries in this series and not just because of Matador.

I'd actually recommend SMT IV Apocalypse (only Apocalypse, not the original SMT IV) as a better series intro.

lenago

Top hatted fox
I kinda downplay my enthusiasm for the SMT series because I've known someone who is TRULY dedicated, to the point where he whines that a lot of the games are too EASY. (And while they ARE easier than most people give them credit for, SMT requires a firm grip of the system more than most. Status effects and debuffs matter WAY more here than many RPGs, and bosses aren't exactly immune to either.)

This is actually the app I'm waiting for when it comes to Switch games.

If you're coming in from Persona or Devil Survivor then you might be able to use 3 to make your leap into the series. I'm reluctant beyond that point, though - 3 is actually one of the harder entries in this series and not just because of Matador.

I'd actually recommend SMT IV Apocalypse (only Apocalypse, not the original SMT IV) as a better series intro.
Oh, actually, i know little to nothing about this series, not even persona really.

Toby_Morpheus

Inside the simulation
Oh, actually, i know little to nothing about this series, not even persona really.
The Megami Tensei series, and by extension Shin Megami Tensei and Persona, has been around for a long time and are based on the 80s Digital Devil Story series of sci-fi novels.
A major difference between it and other RPGs in similar stylings is the ability to talk and befriend the monsters to persuade them to leave your party alone, give you items or money, or even join your team, something you generally don't see otherwise except the mercy system in Undertale and perhaps some other examples I don't know about.
There are games that go all the way back to the Famicom, but the first game released in the US was called "Last Bible" (Revelations: The Demon Slayer in the US) on the GameBoy Color in 1999.

lenago

Top hatted fox
The Megami Tensei series, and by extension Shin Megami Tensei and Persona, has been around for a long time and are based on the 80s Digital Devil Story series of sci-fi novels.
A major difference between it and other RPGs in similar stylings is the ability to talk and befriend the monsters to persuade them to leave your party alone, give you items or money, or even join your team, something you generally don't see otherwise except the mercy system in Undertale and perhaps some other examples I don't know about.
There are games that go all the way back to the Famicom, but the first game released in the US was called "Last Bible" (Revelations: The Demon Slayer in the US) on the GameBoy Color in 1999.
Yeah, i belive i have heard of the games befriend monsters mechanic. I think thats the only thing i know.
Common themes,plot points, lore..that i am fully in the dark.

Toby_Morpheus

Inside the simulation
Yeah, i belive i have heard of the games befriend monsters mechanic. I think thats the only thing i know.
Common themes,plot points, lore..that i am fully in the dark.
They're pretty much all over the place.
Some games take place in school settings, especially Persona, others take place during apocalyptic events, some are a lot more sci-fi and others are more contemporary, some medieval...
Plots, settings, and lore all vary from game to game and some sequels may have little to do with the previous games in the series.
The only thing that is consistent really are the core mechanics and the monsters you run into in the games. Even then, each game messes with the system just enough to make each one feel unique enough as to not get burned out if you play them in succession unlike something like, say, Pokemon.

lenago

Top hatted fox
They're pretty much all over the place.
Some games take place in school settings, especially Persona, others take place during apocalyptic events, some are a lot more sci-fi and others are more contemporary, some medieval...
Plots, settings, and lore all vary from game to game and some sequels may have little to do with the previous games in the series.
The only thing that is consistent really are the core mechanics and the monsters you run into in the games. Even then, each game messes with the system just enough to make each one feel unique enough as to not get burned out if you play them in succession unlike something like, say, Pokemon.
Like final fantasy
Each game has a diferent style,plot,theme or even tweeks on how you play
But things like spells,monsters ect stay consistent

Toby_Morpheus

Inside the simulation
Like final fantasy
Each game has a diferent style,plot,theme or even tweeks on how you play
But things like spells,monsters ect stay consistent
Yeah kinda
Except depending on which game you play, you could be in for a pretty rough time.
Megami Tensei games aren't known to pull their punches.