• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Should animal abuse be punishable by prison time?

Distorted

Y'know killing and mutilating animals are early indicators of an Anti-social personality. I'm talking the psychopathic kind here.

Also I'm pretty sure that's already punishable by law, down here at least.

Zenia

As have I, which is why I said accidentally because some people honestly don't realize collars will eventually do that so they don't bother to check.
I can see how people might not realize with dogs 2+ years... but it should be common sense that a growing puppy should be checked all the time. But many people don't even have that much sense. XD

Man, I saw one Animal Cops where the dogs collar had been embedded a total of SEVEN DIFFERENT TIMES. The owner was pretty "meh" about it too. I can't remember if it was the same case or a different one... but I've also seen one where the dog was millimeters away from having their jugular/carotid artery cut by the collar because it was in so deep.

DarkShadow777

Always looking to improve!!!
Y'know killing and mutilating animals are early indicators of an Anti-social personality. I'm talking the psychopathic kind here.

Also I'm pretty sure that's already punishable by law, down here at least.

This kind of people is dangerous, even for other people...

I don't know if prission is good enough for something like that... they need to be studied carefully to know what the heck is wrong with their brains...

Neglecting a dog or worse yet physically abusing one can get you jailed or at the very least have it taken away. However if it's something like a few random mice (which are for most people complete and utter pests) the authorities will not give a single shit regardless of how terrible the abuse was.

Oh, they will. I called the RSPCA and they are investigating it. Also, this incident is spreading like wildfire. Due to public interest they will have no choice but to look at it. Expect more in the coming days, I will not be surprised if they make it on the local news or the newspaper. God help these girls if the darker side of the internet get their hands on this.

Rigby

Diaperfurs 4 Lyfe
Due to public interest they will have no choice but to look at it.
Why is public interest a prerequisite to investigate an infraction of the law? The police should do their job and prosecute offenders whether or not the public cares.

Khaki

AFP's Most Unwanted
Oh, they will. I called the RSPCA and they are investigating it. Also, this incident is spreading like wildfire. Due to public interest they will have no choice but to look at it. Expect more in the coming days, I will not be surprised if they make it on the local news or the newspaper. God help these girls if the darker side of the internet get their hands on this.

How would the RSPCA go about coming up with substantial evidence besides written admittance by the perpetrators on a social site?

Unless that in it's self is substantial enough for charges to be laid, like the incident involving the U.S teenager's sarcastic comments.

Also, what would the "darker side of the internet" want with something like this?

Why is public interest a prerequisite to investigate an infraction of the law? The police should do their job and prosecute offenders whether or not the public cares.

Because it will put public pressure on them to see that something actually happens.

How would the RSPCA go about coming up with substantial evidence besides written admittance by the perpetrators on a social site?

Unless that in it's self is substantial enough for charges to be laid, like the incident involving the U.S teenager's sarcastic comments.

Also, what would the "darker side of the internet" want with something like this?

Picture and the admission are enough, as well as their follow-up comments. This was no sarcastic comment, this is actually something they've done.

There happen to be a lot of millitant vegans/animal right activists in places like /b/. Gauge the comments that are on Facebook and they've got people angry enough.

At least they will be punished once they apply their skills torturing animals on humans, and they are assisting in removing the largest pest on the planet once that occurs.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
^^^I agree, but we also have to be wary about hanging all of our hopes on rehab or counseling, because some people are just plain incapable of empathy and remorse (because they're psychopaths or malignant narcissists), and because other people who are technically capable of such emotions can't always be made to see why they ought to feel remorse or empathy in a given case.

Objective Number One should be to prevent people from doing any additional harm to other beings and to society.

Objective Number Two should be to gauge a person's general capacity for change over time, and structure and re-structure their program accordingly. (Natch, in my book, this means that if someone is found to be utterly incapable of change after several tests and trials, we just strap 'em to the chair and turn on the juice.)

I believe animal abuse and neglect should be taken very seriously. If a person cannot acknowledge that it is wrong to shoot a dog with a crossbow, or allow a collar to be embedded in a creature's neck, or to starve a horse, or drown a kitten, or willfully and intentionally torture anything with a central nervous system, I say, they shouldn't be allowed out in society until they can come to that realization, and not a moment before--at the very, very least, such a person shouldn't be allowed near animals, and I'd say they should even be supervised closely around other people!

Xolani

Before posting on threads like this, take a moment to consider exactly how much of the animal products you use come from sources that could be considered to practice animal cruelty.

Just sayin'

Troj

^^^^This is unfortunately true.

In terms of their attitudes, intentions, and cognitions, yes, there is a difference between the person who eats a chicken sandwich, and a person who feeds a chicken explosives for shits and giggles.

There's even a difference between a person who hunts animals for food or (ugh) sport, and a person who intentionally starves or tortures a similar creature.

But, when you get down to it, our relationship as a species to the rest of the planet is complicated and in many ways, problematic and dysfunctional.

We regularly purchase products and take medicines that have been tested on animals in horrifying ways.

We regularly consume and use products from animals who lived in filthy, awful conditions, and who suffered terribly before they died.

We live lifestyles that contribute to deforestation, pollution, habitat loss, global warming, and the creation of monocultures.

And, getting outside of that requires one to do a lot of extra research and legwork that most people aren't willing or even, necessarily able to do.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Before posting on threads like this, take a moment to consider exactly how much of the animal products you use come from sources that could be considered to practice animal cruelty.

Just sayin'

Well...I avoid a great deal of that by being vegetarian, although I'm sure systematic animal abuse is probably a necessity of many other things I consume unwittingly in my life.

Xolani

^^^^This is unfortunately true.

In terms of their attitudes, intentions, and cognitions, yes, there is a difference between the person who eats a chicken sandwich, and a person who feeds a chicken explosives for shits and giggles.

There's even a difference between a person who hunts animals for food or (ugh) sport, and a person who intentionally starves or tortures a similar creature.

I'm not saying people shouldn't eat chicken or something like that (I eat a lot of meat myself), but I can almost guarantee that a large portion of the people posting about how disgusted they are by animal cruelty have recently eaten battery farmed chicken where the animals beaks are clipped, and never see living room more than a couple of inches larger than their own body size, without even thinking about seeking an alternative like free-range chicken or eggs.

Pleas of ignorance aren't worth much, either, given how widespread information about battery farming is.

I just find it incredibly hypocritical when people talk about animal cruelty the day after they ate at KFC or somewhere similar.

Just sayin'

Doesn't let them off scott free, doesn't mean I shouldn't be repulsed by what they did, nor does it make their action any less sadistic.

Just sayin'.

Troj

Of course, now we're getting into the tricky ethical issue of direct or active harm vs. indirect or passive harm, and the distinctions between them.

But, yes, if you really are upset by animal cruelty, if you want to be ethically congruent and put your money where your mouth is, you'll ALSO make an effort to make lifestyle and purchasing decisions that won't enable or allow similar types of cruelty.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
Of course, now we're getting into the tricky ethical issue of direct or active harm vs. indirect or passive harm, and the distinctions between them.

But, yes, if you really are upset by animal cruelty, if you want to be ethically congruent and put your money where your mouth is, you'll ALSO make an effort to make lifestyle and purchasing decisions that won't enable or allow similar types of cruelty.

We have an alternative to the above for people so direly concerned with such matters but cannot take that route, it's a little phrase to live die by that goes like this: "Save the planet and kill yourself."

Khaki

AFP's Most Unwanted
Because it will put public pressure on them to see that something actually happens.

Picture and the admission are enough, as well as their follow-up comments. This was no sarcastic comment, this is actually something they've done.

There happen to be a lot of millitant vegans/animal right activists in places like /b/. Gauge the comments that are on Facebook and they've got people angry enough.

Alright then, I hold my doubts of any internet crusaders coming from "/b/" however judging by it's activity, you might find an angry rant on /an/ if you're lucky though.

At least they will be punished once they apply their skills torturing animals on humans, and they are assisting in removing the largest pest on the planet once that occurs.

You need to get out more often.

Troj

We have an alternative to the above for people so direly concerned with such matters but cannot take that route, it's a little phrase to live die by that goes like this: "Save the planet and kill yourself."

Yeah, but most people won't go that route.

AND, if concerned and ethical people DID take that route, we'd be left with the idiots who don't care and the sadists who do.

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
Boohoo, big fucking deal. They killed a bunch of little disease carriers. I don't see how this is any more cruel than those so-called glue traps people seem to be so fond of. Restaurants boil lobsters alive too every day despite being able to kill them beforehand, and I don't see facebook activists crying about it. I'm surprised people are so rallied up over mouses.

The way people are reacting to this, I'd wager they'd have a heart attack if they'd known what bored kids generally do around here to pass time.
Islam don't exactly got kind views on stray animals

Last edited: