• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Should I buy a PS4, PS4 Pro or wait for the PS5?

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
Hey! So I was looking to purchase myself a Playstation console for my birthday because of playstation exclusives, Persona 5 Royal, and other reasons. I heard that the Playstation 5 is coming out this holiday season. Would it be better for me to save my money and wait, or just get a PS4?

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
What are some of the exclusives you're after? I ask because it looks like the PS5 will have backwards compatibility - but only with PS4 games.

(It's also why I'm not regretting skipping out on the PS4.)

J

JDeer

Perhaps wait and see what happens. With what's going on in the world right now, there might be a chance that Sony will delay the launch of the PS5. That is, if things haven't calmed down by the holidays.

Regarding backwards-compatibility, which @FrostyTheDragon mentioned, don't expect every game to be backwards-compatible. I believe it's the developer of the game who's responsible for dealing with backwards-compatibility(Sony then releases it to be backwards-compatible, I think). So, if that's the case then, not every developer will have a backwards-compatible game. I'm not too sure on it anyway, I'm just making an assumption.

PlayStation does have some good exclusives and I'm sure the PS5 will launch with more good exclusives. The PS4 has a lot of good exclusives too, but again, backwards-compatibility. Although, I'm sure the exclusives will be backwards-compatible as of course, they're exclusives, and you wouldn't want anyone missing out on them, no matter if they own a PS4 or PS5.

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
What are some of the exclusives you're after? I ask because it looks like the PS5 will have backwards compatibility - but only with PS4 games.

(It's also why I'm not regretting skipping out on the PS4.)
Perhaps wait and see what happens. With what's going on in the world right now, there might be a chance that Sony will delay the launch of the PS5. That is, if things haven't calmed down by the holidays.

Regarding backwards-compatibility, which @FrostyTheDragon mentioned, don't expect every game to be backwards-compatible. I believe it's the developer of the game who's responsible for dealing with backwards-compatibility(Sony then releases it to be backwards-compatible, I think). So, if that's the case then, not every developer will have a backwards-compatible game. I'm not too sure on it anyway, I'm just making an assumption.

PlayStation does have some good exclusives and I'm sure the PS5 will launch with more good exclusives. The PS4 has a lot of good exclusives too, but again, backwards-compatibility. Although, I'm sure the exclusives will be backwards-compatible as of course, they're exclusives, and you wouldn't want anyone missing out on them, no matter if they own a PS4 or PS5.
I found this article: www.gamesradar.com: PS5 backwards compatibility will support "overwhelmingly majority" of PS4 games just to see what the backwards compatibility would be like for the PS5

I don't really want a lot of games, mostly a few good ones I've missed and always wanted to play (Persona 5 The Royal, The Persona Dancing Games or Whatever, Spiderman, GT Sport, Street Fighter V, etc.). I might not play a ton of games on it (I had the xbox one for a few years and basically the only thing I used it for was sports games), so I might go with the cheapest option right now, the PS4 SLIM. I don't have a 4K TV and my eyesight is shit anyways so I don't really need the graphical boost.

www.gamesradar.com: PS5 price - what will it be, and when will we know about the PlayStation 5 deals? <--- This article gave a rough price guess of around $499-$549, and while they don't have a very good source for that, it seem in the same ball park.

Yes, I know the PS5 might have a lot of backwards compatibility, but it also might have a bad launch, or issues that need to get ironed out over a year. I also know that games will still be made for the PS4 in the early life of the Ps5. I also don't know if I want to wait, because this is for my birthday and I'm turning 14 so I can't really buy any one of those by myself. Thanks for your help so far!

J

JDeer

Yes, I know the PS5 might have a lot of backwards compatibility, but it also might have a bad launch, or issues that need to get ironed out over a year.
I think with the PS5, Sony is doing a little bit of experimenting in terms of design and hardware. We know that from a controller-design leak, that it's a step away from the DualShock controllers. We do know the specifications, but we haven't seen the actual look of the console yet, although I do believe it will be quite big. We also don't even know what the operating-system and software-applications on it look like either.

And so, perhaps waiting for any launch-issues to be ironed out first(If there are any), would be a good idea. I do also see the PS5 being priced at about between £500 and £549+. Although, perhaps it may be more than that.

I found this article: www.gamesradar.com: PS5 backwards compatibility will support &quot;overwhelmingly majority&quot; of PS4 games just to see what the backwards compatibility would be like for the PS5
Judging from what Sony had said about more than 4000 games being backwards-compatible, I think that's a large exaggeration on their end. Unless there are developers who already have their games ready to be ported or there are still some in the process of making their games backwards-compatible, I doubt that the backwards-compatible selection will be huge at launch. We might have to wait a month or two for more games to be added to the backwards-compatible list. Although, that is of course if the selection is barren at launch.

I also know that games will still be made for the PS4 in the early life of the Ps5. I also don't know if I want to wait, because this is for my birthday and I'm turning 14 so I can't really buy any one of those by myself. Thanks for your help so far!
You are correct in saying that games will still be developed for the PS4. I own both a PS3 and PS4 and upon checking the PS3 store, I think the last recent PS3 game was 2018, I think...There are also games like Persona 5, which are in-development for many years, only to be released on a last-generation and current-generation console(P5 was released for both PS3 and PS4).

Whether you want to wait, is up to you. Even after Sony stops selling and manufacturing the PS4, there will always be a large selection of amazing games to play, plus the PlayStation Network services for online-multiplayer. In fact, I actually got my PS3 during the Christmas of 2013, a month after the launch of the PS4. And I didn't even know that the PS4 was launched at the time. But yet, I constantly played my PS3(Which also had some great games), up until 2016, when I did get a PS4. So, it just shows that even if you buy a PS4 now, you can still get the PS5 later on in your life, in which at that point, there will be a greater selection of games to play, and Sony will have dealt with most, if not all of it's issues.

Happy Birthday by the way.

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
I think with the PS5, Sony is doing a little bit of experimenting in terms of design and hardware. We know that from a controller-design leak, that it's a step away from the DualShock controllers. We do know the specifications, but we haven't seen the actual look of the console yet, although I do believe it will be quite big. We also don't even know what the operating-system and software-applications on it look like either.

And so, perhaps waiting for any launch-issues to be ironed out first(If there are any), would be a good idea. I do also see the PS5 being priced at about between £500 and £549+. Although, perhaps it may be more than that.

Judging from what Sony had said about more than 4000 games being backwards-compatible, I think that's a large exaggeration on their end. Unless there are developers who already have their games ready to be ported or there are still some in the process of making their games backwards-compatible, I doubt that the backwards-compatible selection will be huge at launch. We might have to wait a month or two for more games to be added to the backwards-compatible list. Although, that is of course if the selection is barren at launch.

You are correct in saying that games will still be developed for the PS4. I own both a PS3 and PS4 and upon checking the PS3 store, I think the last recent PS3 game was 2018, I think...There are also games like Persona 5, which are in-development for many years, only to be released on a last-generation and current-generation console(P5 was released for both PS3 and PS4).

Whether you want to wait, is up to you. Even after Sony stops selling and manufacturing the PS4, there will always be a large selection of amazing games to play, plus the PlayStation Network services for online-multiplayer. In fact, I actually got my PS3 during the Christmas of 2013, a month after the launch of the PS4. And I didn't even know that the PS4 was launched at the time. But yet, I constantly played my PS3(Which also had some great games), up until 2016, when I did get a PS4. So, it just shows that even if you buy a PS4 now, you can still get the PS5 later on in your life, in which at that point, there will be a greater selection of games to play, and Sony will have dealt with most, if not all of it's issues.

Happy Birthday by the way.
I meant that games will probably be a few games like Persona 5, being made for PS4 originally and then for the Ps5. I want to wait till a while after launch to get the Ps5 if I do end up getting it. They'll be a greater library of games, less issues, and more backwards compatible games, etc. For now, the whole point of me getting the PS4 anyways is to catch up on games I missed, so I'm probably going to buy that. Sorry if it seems my mind was already set, I did some research before hand and made this thread to ask all of you. Thanks again for your help.

My birthday's in a little over 3 weeks! :3

Edit: There are still tons of games coming out for Ps4 soon gamestop.com/video-games/playstation-4/games?prefn1=isPreorder&prefv1=Coming%20Soon

FurOnTheSide

At this point? I'd say wait. If you've held out this long, you can afford to wait a lil bit longer, besides, there's so many games today, it really is a golden age for games, so there's no need to rush.
PS5 doesn't just seem to be backwards compatible, but it seems like it'll be more capable than the Pro for games with an uncapped framerate, so some games will likely run better on PS5 than a PS4 pro (games like Sekiro for example could finally see a smooth 60 on console).
On top of all this, you're ultimately future proofing yourself. You may save a little by buying a PS4 now, but in a few years when that game comes out for the PS5, and you end up taking the plunge anyway, you'll likely have spent more.

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
I can see that I should probably wait, I've watched some videos as well. Guess I can't play Persona 5 Royal. :( Thanks for the help~

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
I heard that the Playstation 5 is coming out this holiday season.
Oh god, It's been out for that long and the ps4 was underwhelming as all hell.