• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Should I lower my prices?

CarbonCoal

Digital Artist
I’m new to selling commissions I was able to sell one last year when I was selling full bodies for $35. I raised my prices because I felt like I was under pricing myself.I haven’t gotten anyone to commission me this year. Should I lower my prices?

Here’s my pricing list and a link to my FA gallery.
1552940691.carboncoal_commission_prices-.png

Lexiand

Werewolf
For the quality of the work as seen in the examples, The prices is fair. I think you can also raise the price up a bit. But other than that I don't think you have to do anything to your prices unless you want to go on sale.

Last edited:

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
It's also a matter of supply and demand. Too much supply and the price drops and/or customers get picky over quality and price. Your art is very competent. I just think you need more exposure.

CarbonCoal

Digital Artist
It's also a matter of supply and demand. Too much supply and the price drops and/or customers get picky over quality and price. Your art is very competent. I just think you need more exposure.
Do you have any suggestions For some good ways of getting more exposure? Do you think making an art showcase thread might draw more people’s attention?

Paws the Opinicus

*Not technically* a Gryphon!
Seeing some people asking for upwards of $150-200 for similar works and justifying the prices by "their fame alone", these prices seem more than reasonable. o.o

I could see people just getting sketches a lot, because frankly, I can't tell that your sketch is actually a 'sketch', it looks like the finished works. :)

BingyBongo

Yeah, in agreement with the comments here. Don't devalue your work! 35 for a full body is more than reasonable. <3

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
Do you have any suggestions For some good ways of getting more exposure? Do you think making an art showcase thread might draw more people’s attention?
Sorry for the late reply. My network card is fritzing out on me. I'm getting another one in the morning. You could maybe do some art for some convention booklets. It will be noticed. I run Fangcon and am always soliciting art. I wish I could pay, but the cons are charity support events and run a very tight budget. Some folks get upset when I do this, but it's strictly voluntary stuff. Big cons can pay, but they usually get top flight, popufur artists to do their art. Just a suggestion.

Honestly?

I don't think you should lower your prices, I can't tell you what prices you should sell but you should find artists with your drawing and painting level and see how much they are asking.

I am not saying every commissioner(,,,aum person that askes for art ) Do this! So please don't get offended!

Sometimes ( SOMETIMES) people that want to buy art don't really value the work, the research and the time you actually take doing a piece so they always try to lower it down, They forget this is a job, not free, we take art seriously because that's what we love and want to do.

The prices should always be hand to hand with the quality if they want cheaper then the quality drops. And that's not unfair, that's life

Again ONLY SOME COMMISSIONERS think this ok???

What I can advice you to do, is more type of drawings

Sketches, line art without color, line art with flat color, etc etc and of course then it depends on your popularity.

Sometimes what also I see people doing, it's that they like to draw so much and find it so easy that they sell pieces that they worked hard and the prices are way lower then it should

This is my opinion..but really go search what other artists ask for

CarbonCoal

Digital Artist
Honestly?

I don't think you should lower your prices, I can't tell you what prices you should sell but you should find artists with your drawing and painting level and see how much they are asking.

I am not saying every commissioner(,,,aum person that askes for art ) Do this! So please don't get offended!

Sometimes ( SOMETIMES) people that want to buy art don't really value the work, the research and the time you actually take doing a piece so they always try to lower it down, They forget this is a job, not free, we take art seriously because that's what we love and want to do.

The prices should always be hand to hand with the quality if they want cheaper then the quality drops. And that's not unfair, that's life

Again ONLY SOME COMMISSIONERS think this ok???

What I can advice you to do, is more type of drawings

Sketches, line art without color, line art with flat color, etc etc and of course then it depends on your popularity.

Sometimes what also I see people doing, it's that they like to draw so much and find it so easy that they sell pieces that they worked hard and the prices are way lower then it should

This is my opinion..but really go search what other artists ask for
I do look at other artists work with a similar skill level to me and see what they charge and adjust my prices partly based on that. I will add a flat colors option and maybe lines only.

I was able to sell a half body commission a few days ago after advertising a lot so I think me not having enough exposure is part of the problem.

I do look at other artists work with a similar skill level to me and see what they charge and adjust my prices partly based on that. I will add a flat colors option and maybe lines only.

I was able to sell a half body commission a few days ago after advertising a lot so I think me not having enough exposure is part of the problem.

Yes it's one of the problems is popularity ....it sucks because you have a lot of good artist that,,,well are new or aren't that popular but if you keep up and all you will end up beng popular but first you have to self advertise,,,As an artist I don't really like to do that,,,but IT's something we do have to do xD

SLCMedia

Business Consulting for Fandom Artists
Don't lower your prices, but do commit time and funds to advertising, marketing, and networking.

Collaborate and trade with other artists as much as you can. If you're properly crediting each other in your galleries, you'll be able to vouch for each other to each other's followers and gain a bigger following that way.

If you're not running an ad on FA, consider making yourself a nice 300x90 gif and spending the money to put it up as an ad, linking to your pricelist. That's advice I give everyone, and with your prices, if you get two commissions per month, you've more than broken even on the cost of the ad.

Interact as much as you can in comment sections, on the forums, etc., so your name will be out there.

A lot of people think client acquisition is a pricing issue, but it's just as much, if not moreso, an advertising, marketing, and networking issue. The idea is to get yourself in front of people who will pay whatever you're charging for your art, because they like your art. And a good way to do that is to just get your art in front of as many people as you can.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Don't lower your prices, but do commit time and funds to advertising, marketing, and networking.

Collaborate and trade with other artists as much as you can. If you're properly crediting each other in your galleries, you'll be able to vouch for each other to each other's followers and gain a bigger following that way.

If you're not running an ad on FA, consider making yourself a nice 300x90 gif and spending the money to put it up as an ad, linking to your pricelist. That's advice I give everyone, and with your prices, if you get two commissions per month, you've more than broken even on the cost of the ad.

Interact as much as you can in comment sections, on the forums, etc., so your name will be out there.

A lot of people think client acquisition is a pricing issue, but it's just as much, if not moreso, an advertising, marketing, and networking issue. The idea is to get yourself in front of people who will pay whatever you're charging for your art, because they like your art. And a good way to do that is to just get your art in front of as many people as you can.
To add- never compete on price.
You just won't be able to do it. In other small businesses, its because you won't have the outfit to mass produce product at a certain price.
For artists, its different. People really have trouble gauging the value of things, especially art. Therefore, what they're really paying for it access to you and your skills.

SLCMedia

Business Consulting for Fandom Artists
To add- never compete on price.
You just won't be able to do it. In other small businesses, its because you won't have the outfit to mass produce product at a certain price.
For artists, its different. People really have trouble gauging the value of things, especially art. Therefore, what they're really paying for it access to you and your skills.
100% true. Art commissions isn't a product business. It's a service with a deliverable.

I'll also add that when you compete on price, you end up having to do more work to make the same money, which might not seem like a big deal at first, but you quickly come to realize that there's a limit, physically and mentally, to how much work you can actually do. It's a long-term loss on your part.

Sugarbomb

I charge $10/hr for mine, and I suck. I wouldn't expect anyone else to charge less than that. Unless you're able to whip one of these out in 20 minutes, don't drop your price.

It's not that there aren't any clients, it's that there's a lot of people on this site willing to sell, and buying pictures is something of a luxury purchase. It's like if everyone was selling custom made planets. Yours might be a reasonable price, but the day might be half an hour too long, or it's just a few degrees too cool in the late afternoon, or the seas are just the wrong shade of pink.

BunBunArt

Princess Bunny ♥
You don't need to lower your price, you need more audience! You need to be very active, basically, so more people will follow you and have more chance to get commissioned by some of them.

CarbonCoal

Digital Artist
Hmmm..... the OP is complaining about not getting any customers... thus - lower prices might be a good way to go - in order to get some of those elusive patrons that she's missing out on... just saying.... (lowering by how much, is up to her, though). ;)
I’m not complaining I was wondering what other people think I should do and the majority of people seem to think my prices are fine. As I said in a previous post someone did buy a half body commission me from me after a advertising a lot so exposer does seem to be a problem.

BunBunArt

Princess Bunny ♥
I lowered my prices when I joined the community and the result was the same, what worked for me was that, more follows, more posibility to get commissions.
I do make special offers every now and then though, discounts, raffles...