• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Should male dogs have to pay puppy support?

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
And no, not as silly as it sounds! And also, not literally.

There have been numerous cases where a male dog has scaled a chain-link fence, or even slid open a sliding glass door, or resorted to other such tactics, in order to get at a female in heat. And given that puppies often ensue (or even injury in some cases where the female is too young/small) would the owner of said male dog be liable, for letting their dog roam about? Should the owner of the stray male have to pay puppy support, and if so, for how long? Say a randy poodle dug under a fence, and got at your basset hound, who you were just about to have fixed? Would you want such oddly mixed dogs? And if you didn't catch them in the act, are there doggy DNA tests?

Of course, there are other cases of 'accidental' mating that are less cut and dry, and biology has a strong pull here.

But given the thread on child support, I found this a curious legal question to ponder.

Nihles

Pet foxxo
Hm, legally I'm curious if there was a precedent for this.

Anecdotally, I have heard multiple stories of the offending dog's owner bringing over kibble or covering the first vet visit for the litter. Emotionally, I consider that the bare minimum thing to do, especially if yoy didn't fix your dog AND let him out.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Hm, legally I'm curious if there was a precedent for this.

Anecdotally, I have heard multiple stories of the offending dog's owner bringing over kibble or covering the first vet visit for the litter. Emotionally, I consider that the bare minimum thing to do, especially if yoy didn't fix your dog AND let him out.

I was also wondering about legal precedent, but was too lazy to do any research! But I think, as you say, it's probably most likely worked out between the parties involved, much like you mentioned. I would add, that if one does let a dog roam just in general, it would seem they'd be liable for any 'mishaps', though.

Nihles

Pet foxxo
I couldn't find anything in a quick google. But I do imagine the conversation would go like this:
Neighbor: "These are your puppies. You owe me money."
Me: "Uh, how do you know they're mine?"
Neighbor: "They look just like him!"
My dog: "Woof."
Me: "Er, no they don't!"
Neighbor: "I have a court order for a paternity test. We'll get to the bottom of this."
Me: "Are you f***""g serious?"
My dog (as he humps my leg): "Woof."

(Not mine, stolen from a forum on the same topic. ) It seems that the only time you could pursue legal compensation from the owner of the male dog is if your female is a pure breed and you lose "revenue" when she is pregnant with useless mutts.

Foxy Emy

*Mischivious Noises*
And no, not as silly as it sounds! And also, not literally.

There have been numerous cases where a male dog has scaled a chain-link fence, or even slid open a sliding glass door, or resorted to other such tactics, in order to get at a female in heat. And given that puppies often ensue (or even injury in some cases where the female is too young/small) would the owner of said male dog be liable, for letting their dog roam about? Should the owner of the stray male have to pay puppy support, and if so, for how long? Say a randy poodle dug under a fence, and got at your basset hound, who you were just about to have fixed? Would you want such oddly mixed dogs? And if you didn't catch them in the act, are there doggy DNA tests?

Of course, there are other cases of 'accidental' mating that are less cut and dry, and biology has a strong pull here.

But given the thread on child support, I found this a curious legal question to ponder.

Should
they pay puppy support? Yes! Absolutely! And if the pups are sold rather than given up for adoption, they should get also get a cut of the profit! After all, they are helping paying for the puppies' care and if they are sold, they profit the owner of the female rather than cost her own money.

Should they have to pay puppy support under threat of legal action? Nope... not at all. Just because something is the right thing to do doesn't mean that you should be forced to do it.

I couldn't find anything in a quick google. But I do imagine the conversation would go like this:
Neighbor: "These are your puppies. You owe me money."
Me: "Uh, how do you know they're mine?"
Neighbor: "They look just like him!"
My dog: "Woof."
Me: "Er, no they don't!"
Neighbor: "I have a court order for a paternity test. We'll get to the bottom of this."
Me: "Are you f***""g serious?"
My dog (as he humps my leg): "Woof."

(Not mine, stolen from a forum on the same topic. ) It seems that the only time you could pursue legal compensation from the owner of the male dog is if your female is a pure breed and you lose "revenue" when she is pregnant with useless mutts.

Me: "Just, look at him!"
Neighbor: "Yeah! He's even humping your leg!"
My Dog: "Bork bork!"
Me: "Yes.. but no! Look at him! He's a f*****g Tea Cup Yorkie!"
Neighbor: "...So?"
Neighbor's Dog (in the distance): "WOOF!"
My Dog: "Woof! Bork!"
Me: "You own a f*****g Tibetan Mastiff! That thing is the size of a bear!"
My Neighbor: "...I left a step ladder in the backyard that day... It could happen!"
Me: "So, then... whose fault is it really for enabling them to get busy?"

P

Picklepaige

As the owner of an intact female, if some random neighborhood dog knocked her up while on my property, I would 100% expect the owner of the male to pay either for a mismate shot or provide costs towards raising a litter.

If she got knocked up while out and about, I would take responsibility for that. Of course, I won't be letting her outside out of my sight while she's in season, so hopefully that's never something I have to deal with!

quoting_mungo

If you (the owner of the male dog) sincerely believe that your dog is safely enclosed, I think "letting your dog roam about" is an unfair portrayal of the situation. If he's not scaled chain link fences before, why would you believe he is capable of doing so? Now, that said, I think all pet owners absolutely need to take responsibility for any damage their animals cause. This doesn't just extend to chipping in for the costs associated with unwanted puppies, but also things like digging up the neighbor's roses, attacking other pets or humans, eating food that wasn't meant for them, chewing up walls in their apartment (or one they're visiting), and so on. If your dog got out because of the actions of a third party (the mailman failing to properly close the garden gate, say), then that third party should probably reimburse you for all or part of what you owe people as a result of the dog getting out, but the responsibility to make sure people who suffered damages due to your animal going walkabout are compensated fairly is still on you.

When I had a ferret, I wouldn't take him out on leash without also bringing at least one of my ragdoll cats. Because sadly, I've heard too many horror stories of dogs (even leashed dogs) attacking ferrets, and their owners being shockingly blasé about it on account of having some odd misconception about ferrets not being "valuable" pets. Whereas ragdoll cats look expensive, and so prompt dog owners to hold a little tighter onto the leash to make sure their dog doesn't hurt the valuable kitty. (For perspective, what I paid for my ragdoll was about 4x what I paid for my ferret - neither of them was under $150.)

My BFF is actually the owner of a dog that resulted from an illicit mating while the bitch was on loan to a third party (bitch owner didn't know about the mating until surprise litter, from what I understand). Absolutely delightful and adorable little thing, but holy hell she's ridiculously high energy.

Should they pay puppy support? Yes! Absolutely! And if the pups are sold rather than given up for adoption, they should get also get a cut of the profit! After all, they are helping paying for the puppies' care and if they are sold, they profit the owner of the female rather than cost her own money.
As someone who owns purebred cats and has a decent idea of the costs and labor involved in raising a litter, I would just like to point out that if you're not doing just the bare absolute borderline-on-neglect minimum, the profits you're likely to see from a litter of mutts is likely to be negligible, mostly eaten up by the extra costs involved in bringing the puppies up to weaning age, getting them their shots and getting them microchipped. Kittens (and I'm guessing this applies to puppies as well) eat a surprising amount, generate a pile of extra laundry/other cleaning, and in general (responsible) breeding is not something you do for the money. Yes, maybe if you pay for part of the expenses you should also get a portion of the proceeds, but given the labor the owner of the bitch will have to have put in, they probably deserve the greater portion.

Moar Krabs

Aight boys
Banned
I’m just a simple Arthropleura, although I have dealed with this issue before. My kids just got out of their nest and crawled away without saying hello. So I guess if they run away and don’t want to speak or look at you, they shouldn’t be supported.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
I mean, of course. Who the hell do they think they are

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
Funny timing to me since two of the neighborhood dogs were in the field across the road tied up this morning. They looked bored. XD