• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

should you tell your gf/bf you're a furry??

should i tell her?

• yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
RE:  should you tell your gf/bf you're a furry??

Starblind said:
The way I see it is, if she dumps you because of the type of art you like, it probably wasn't meant to be anyway.

The way to do it is to tell her without really telling her.  As you said, you don't want it to be a coming-out-of-the-closet sort of situation, and making it a big "we need to talk" moment will just make it seem weirder than it really is.  The best way to do it is to let her find it out herself.

I agree with starblind.
just cuz your into a totaly different thing doesnt change who you are. people are different and the world should just deal with it.

spree

It is an idea. A way of thought. Wouldn't it be a give-a-way? Eventually it would show up and if your so "true" to what furry is. Why would you hide it to begin with? - me personally. I vote undecided. To my knowledge its kind of dumb to proceed a thought with such vigor you have to distill your brain function to people around you.
Just be the way you are- hiding emotion changes your effect and sculpts you differently around people.

leolionheart

I vote yes! Even though I technicly havent told my gf yet. Well to back this up.....Me and my gf met on Furcadia. So I would guess that he knows I am, but I dont know for sure...I mean I purr in her ear and nip her neck and all that. Yet I dont know if she does. I dont know if to ask her or not. That if she knows I am that is.... Hm.... So can anyone tell me if I have told her basicaly!?

leolionheart said:
I vote yes! Even though I technicly havent told my gf yet. Well to back this up.....Me and my gf met on Furcadia. So I would guess that he knows I am, but I dont know for sure...I mean I purr in her ear and nip her neck and all that. Yet I dont know if she does. I dont know if to ask her or not. That if she knows I am that is.... Hm.... So can anyone tell me if I have told her basicaly!?

You met on furcadia. I think that is proof enough alone that you are a furry, and she is a furry too. Maybe I'm out on a limb here, but last I heard, Furcadia was a furry MUCK. I would assume anyone using it was either a furry, or at least remotely interested in anthropomorphics. In your case, Leo, I wouldn't go through a "coming out" to her because its pretty much assumed that she knows.

leolionheart

RE:   should you tell your gf/bf you're a furry??

Oznor said:
leolionheart said:

You met on furcadia.  I think that is proof enough alone that you are a furry, and she is a furry too.  Maybe I'm out on a limb here, but last I heard, Furcadia was a furry MUCK.  I would assume anyone using it was either a furry, or at least remotely interested in anthropomorphics.  In your case, Leo, I wouldn't go through a "coming out" to her because its pretty much assumed that she knows.

Thanx Oznor! I thought so but it was weird when I told her about wanting to "do it" animal like and she was like I never knew that about you! So it raised a brow. I was wondeirng if she was jsut using it as like a chat type thing. *Shrug* I dunno, but I think she more then likely is a furry too. I just have to get her! ^.~ So anyways thanx again!

Jirris

Oh man. I just had the worst experience involving this ever.

My girlfriend has known about the furry thing since before we were going out. In fact, one of the first really big things we did together was go to a con. she's had fun with it.

Fast forward to now. I told her I wanted a fursuit and she was like "OH FUCK NO" and said she'd break up with me if I considered having a costume still. They creep her the hell out. There's a hell of a story along with it, but this isn't the place to talk about it.

Oh so the drama.

rexlaninetales

You bet I would tell...Then I'd turn him/her into a furry too!
Fast forward to now. I told her I wanted a fursuit and she was like "OH FUCK NO" and said she'd break up with me if I considered having a costume still. They creep her the hell out. There's a hell of a story along with it, but this isn't the place to talk about it.
Dang, that's too bad. I'd wear a fursuit too if I could afford one and if it wasn't so dang hot down here in central Florida.

Tensik

It's like telling someone I like Star Wars. Why not? if people continue to treat it like a big, dark secret then we're the ones telling people it should be thought of as strange.

emptyF

where my frogs at?

Tensik said:
It's like telling someone I like Star Wars.  Why not?  if people continue to treat it like a big, dark secret then we're the ones telling people it should be thought of as strange.

ladies and gentlemen, i think we have come to the heart of the matter.  furriness is only as weird as you make it.  that having been said, i'm just a really private person.  i don't think mr. cullen was serious, but i really don't tell anyone anything about me.  which is part of what makes furry so interesting to me:  you put on a mask, you become a different person, and they can do things you can't.  way off topic.  sorry.

rexlaninetails said:
You bet I would tell...Then I'd turn him/her into a furry too!

i'm making progress. . .she said she wants to go to a con with me.  :D

Jirris said:
I told her I wanted a fursuit and she was like "OH FUCK NO" and said she'd break up with me if I considered having a costume still.

what's up wit dat?  judging from your gallery she seems pretty open minded. . .no fur suit for you i guess.  :(

MoonMochi02

Should break it to her gently and explain it to her calmly. When I started dating my BF, I told him I was going to Anthrocon in June with 2 peeps from school. That's when I told him I'm a furry and he says its cool. He's seen my art and he's impressed. He Really loves my art. So, I think you should tell her when it right to you, or you could possibly try to slowly grab her attention to it so that maybe she might start asking questions on her own.

Mendes

Definitely tell her, but like everyone else said, don't make a big production out of it. It shouldn't be a big deal that you like pictures of animal-people. If it is a bigger thing than that for you (if there is a sexual element you need or want to act out with her), you will definitely need to sit down and talk about it, but if it's just liking pictures or stories, I don't think it should be a big deal.