• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Shower thoughts

ManicTherapsid

In Stereo. Where Available.

ben909

vaporeon with Axolotl gill array as neck fin
“Are printers cursed”

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
If you gathered up all the coronavirus in the world, how big would the blob be?
Would it fill a cup, a refrigerator, a house?
This was recently answered by a scientific study, estimating that the current volume of virus circulating in humans would probably fit inside a coke can.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Imagine, if you will, a future where Disney has acquired Nintendo...

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I wonder what the largest ever number of people simultaneously asleep is. Billions? 30% of the world's population? 40%?

Sometimes I think of the past and for no real reason it makes me sad. Important and unimportant things have come and gone, and in a sense the ending of things can hurt even if they didn't feel significant at the time. A chapter has ended, and I mourn it.

Last edited:

ben909

what would an "every cheese" pizza taste like

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
what would an "every cheese" pizza taste like
Not sure anyone could get near it to try, given that "every cheese" taken literally would include things like Limburger and Stinking Bishop.

Nexus Cabler

Abstract Concepts Coordinator
If a person protests but no one is around to see it, and nobody knows it's happening, is it still a protest?

ben909

Are boxes breadcrumbs actualy crumbs from slicing bread in factory, or to they toast/shred bread up?

TyraWadman

The Silent Observer
Are boxes breadcrumbs actualy crumbs from slicing bread in factory, or to they toast/shred bread up?

At the bakery I worked at, whatever fresh bread we didn't sell, was left out to go hard and then put through a machine to break it all down into crumbs. Then we scooped/portioned it in containers.

ssaannttoo

I've just thought of this one, when I wasn't in the shower, but does that still count as a shower though? Huh, is that shower though (Concept) Inception? freaky.

BUT ONTO THE REAL ONE!

I wonder if my pretense here bothers people. I post a lot and I guess people get loads of notifications. I dont want to bother people but like.. I I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking it.

zandelux

I've just thought of this one, when I wasn't in the shower, but does that still count as a shower though? Huh, is that shower though (Concept) Inception? freaky.

BUT ONTO THE REAL ONE!

I wonder if my pretense here bothers people. I post a lot and I guess people get loads of notifications. I dont want to bother people but like.. I I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking it.
Don't worry about it. People can turn notifications off if they don't want them. That's my philosophy about any communication medium.

Only time that kind of stuff bothers me is if someone asks "are you there?" or something when I don't immediately reply to something. I think most people would agree that's rude, though.

ssaannttoo

Don't worry about it. People can turn notifications off if they don't want them. That's my philosophy about any communication medium.

Only time that kind of stuff bothers me is if someone asks "are you there?" or something when I don't immediately reply to something. I think most people would agree that's rude, though.
Thank you. I am guilty of sometimes doing that, not to be rude but because I wish to have a conversation with them that's sorta pressing (At least in my mind.) I never mean offense by it.

But thanks for the words of encouragement!!

Faustus

Most people see themselves as 3rd dimensional beings. After all, it's the highest dimension everyone's able to consciously observe (with the exception of those conducting quantum experiments, sort of). But what about the possibility of your observation being a slice of the 4th dimension?
This concept is elegantly explored in detail in the classic mathematical fantasy, 'Flatland: a Romance of Many Dimensions'. Another interesting thing of note is that Marvel's 'Tesseract' gets its name from a theoretical geometric figure representing a four-dimensional cube, aka the Hypercube.

It's also worth noting that there are far more than three recognised dimensions - for example, temperature is a dimension - but not all of them could be thought of as spacial dimensions in the same way as up, down, forwards, backwards etc. But how about this: if we consider time as the 'fourth dimension', think about how we can only move forward through time, and that as we do so, things change shape fluidly as if connected. Maybe then it could be determined that time is itself a spacial dimension - time literally IS space - we are simply incapable of seeing or moving freely in that direction, only falling towards some unknown, distant floor.

Faustus

I wonder what the largest ever number of people simultaneously asleep is. Billions? 30% of the world's population? 40%?
Well, the average person sleeps 6.3 hours each 24 hour period, which is 26.25% of the time. We can extrapolate from this that a similar percentage of the world's total population is asleep at any one time, but that ignores the fact that people aren't evenly distributed over the world, so let's adjust for that. The densest populations in the world are in India and China, and their combined width falls into five time zones, so if we expand a little around that we can net approximately 6.3 hours of time. We'll take into account the full population of China, Mongolia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Burma, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, The Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, North and South Korea and Sri Lanka, plus half of Russia, Kazakhstan, Australia and Japan. This gives a total population in the region of 2,654,866,338 people, or around 35% of the world's total population. In the interests of simplicity, we will assume that the people who do not sleep at the usual time, such as night shift workers or people with insomnia, are made up for at least in part by their counterparts around the world who are asleep when most others in there area are awake, but since the netted area accounts for significantly more potential sleepers than any other single area of like size, we ought to weight our estimate downward a little.

So, knocking off some of the decimal places, I reckon the largest number of people asleep at the same time simultaneously would be between 32% and 36% of the world's total population, between around 2.4 and 2.75 billion people. So that wasn't a bad guesstimate, on the whole.

Last edited:

Kuuro

Hey man, look at me rocking out!
This concept is elegantly explored in detail in the classic mathematical fantasy, 'Flatland: a Romance of Many Dimensions'. Another interesting thing of note is that Marvel's 'Tesseract' gets its name from a theoretical geometric figure representing a four-dimensional cube, aka the Hypercube.

It's also worth noting that there are far more than three recognised dimensions - for example, temperature is a dimension - but not all of them could be thought of as spacial dimensions in the same way as up, down, forwards, backwards etc. But how about this: if we consider time as the 'fourth dimension', think about how we can only move forward through time, and that as we do so, things change shape fluidly as if connected. Maybe then it could be determined that time is itself a spacial dimension - time literally IS space - we are simply incapable of seeing or moving freely in that direction, only falling towards some unknown, distant floor.
Hey, yeah, a buddy and I actually talked about time as a spacial dimension like that recently. Actually it's a popular theory that everything in the universe happens all at once, and expanded beings could explore time the same way we explore a room -- but with our simple monkey brains, we're stuck in a fixed perspective of unaltered seconds, minutes, hours... simply ticking ticking away, toward the unknown, distant floor as you say.

NetanDakabi

people call me queen
most Americans know what Tater Tots are but have no idea what a Tater is.

most British people know what a Tater is but have no idea what a Tater Tot is.