• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Shower thoughts

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Is Monosomy 21 Up Syndrome?

Rap Daniel

Clever dino wizard boi
Banned
Microwave ovens head food with radiation. We all have tiny nuclear reactors in our homes

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Can you put sails on an airship?

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?

I'm guessing not, because Ships have to use a rudder to angle themselves and their sails into the wind correctly- so that they can maintain a course even if the wind changes directions.

An airship can't really have a rudder, can it? So you'd be at the mercy of the elements.

B

blue sky love

Maybe I need sulfate free products like my sister uses for her hair... Too bad I cancelled my debit card.

Kylan Velpa

Cyan Gentle-fox
Banned
If, for every head-to-head encounter on a pavement, there was one "rude" person who will not budge, and one "polite" person who will move around them, then we would avoid all those awkward "you go first" situations. I feel like it shows a need for opposites and balance that is pervasive in the natural order.
Though the distribution which optimises the chances of a rude/polite encounter as opposed to p/p or r/r unfortunately require 50% of people to be cold and selfish, and the other 50% to be willing to take responsibility in every situation. Which is rather unsettling.

Wow. That was unnecessarily analytical, even for me!

SashaBengal

Lurking Tigress

I'm guessing not, because Ships have to use a rudder to angle themselves and their sails into the wind correctly- so that they can maintain a course even if the wind changes directions.

An airship can't really have a rudder, can it? So you'd be at the mercy of the elements.
Um... airships have rudders....

shenandoah-diagrams.jpg

the problem with sails on an airship is more *where the heck would you put them?* but besides that, airships use fuel instead of natural energy like wind to move. So they’re not really needed.

B

blue sky love

(satire)

What if fairy godparents are real? I mean, when you grow too old for them, you forget you had them! And kids need to keep it a secret, or they go away forever. What if I had them and I've merely forgotten about them by force?

TheCynicalViet

There's a spot in Yellowstone National Park where three states borders intersect. Why is this important? Because there was an event where a person was murdered there but the murderer could not be convicted because of jurisdictional issues regarding the intersecting borders.

I was at the infamous Rainfurrest convention and I saw a poop hammock. That memory still haunts me to this day.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Um... airships have rudders....

shenandoah-diagrams.jpg

the problem with sails on an airship is more *where the heck would you put them?* but besides that, airships use fuel instead of natural energy like wind to move. So they’re not really needed.

In the case of the rudder in a conventional airship the flow of air over the body is created by powered motion.

Similarly the flow of the water around a ship is created by the motion from powered motion-in this case the wind.

They're both linear flows along the length of the object.

Would an air ship's rudders still be useful for steering if it was propelled by sails instead of its own power? The sails would represent a much larger surface than the rudder and you wouldn't be guaranteed to start with a wind-field traveling over the rudder in the direction of the airship's motion.

In a sea-going ship, the rudder's in the water, so the force exerted on it is large and it has to be a function of the ship's direction of travel, rather than the direction of the wind at any instance.

I think in an all-sail air ship, your rudder's forces would be small compared to the overall forces of the sails, so you might just tumble as the wind changes direction. A powered airship avoids that by avoiding catching cross-winds, by having a smooth shape, and by being able to propel itself to oppose the wind by using fuel. Neither option is available to an all-sail airship.

SashaBengal

Lurking Tigress
In the case of the rudder in a conventional airship the flow of air over the body is created by powered motion.

Similarly the flow of the water around a ship is created by the motion from powered motion-in this case the wind.

They're both linear flows along the length of the object.

Would an air ship's rudders still be useful for steering if it was propelled by sails instead of its own power? The sails would represent a much larger surface than the rudder and you wouldn't be guaranteed to start with a wind-field traveling over the rudder in the direction of the airship's motion.

In a sea-going ship, the rudder's in the water, so the force exerted on it is large and it has to be a function of the ship's direction of travel, rather than the direction of the wind at any instance.

I think in an all-sail air ship, your rudder's forces would be small compared to the overall forces of the sails, so you might just tumble as the wind changes direction. A powered airship avoids that by avoiding catching cross-winds, by having a smooth shape, and by being able to propel itself to oppose the wind by using fuel. Neither option is available to an all-sail airship.
I still wanna know where the hell the sails would even go XD