• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Site status closed?

Loki's Right Hand

You are all of you beneath me!
Yep. Stress is totally not a legit reason to tell people to calm down and knock it off. /sarcasm

Seriously? Y'all have no idea how badly stress can affect people, do you? You don't just feel a little strained, and taking a nap will fix it... you get gray hair, or you lose hair, or you get ulcers, or you vomit, or you have other forms of intestinal distress, or you develop anxiety, or you develop depression, or you develop panic attacks, OR...

You develop all of the above and have a nervous breakdown/get burned out and are unable to function normally for anywhere from one to six months.

Stress isn't a joke, it's not a "questionable excuse", it's a legit problem, and it can cause serious issues.

It's not about bad PR, it's about someone not sugarcoating shit for your delicate sensibilities. Net made a blunt statement. You don't like it. Deal with it. End of story.

P.
S.
It's a website, it's been down longer for worse reasons, get over it, go outside, and find something else to do. Because regardless of whether or not your business thrives/relies on this site... THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO. Deal with it, seriously. Shut up, suck it up, and move on. If this was a brick and mortar building job you couldn't go to because they had to remodel, you'd have to do the same.

coynu

owns all the lancers ever
Yep. Stress is totally not a legit reason to tell people to calm down and knock it off. /sarcasm

Seriously? Y'all have no idea how badly stress can affect people, do you? You don't just feel a little strained, and taking a nap will fix it... you get gray hair, or you lose hair, or you get ulcers, or you vomit, or you have other forms of intestinal distress, or you develop anxiety, or you develop depression, or you develop panic attacks, OR...

You develop all of the above and have a nervous breakdown/get burned out and are unable to function normally for anywhere from one to six months.

Stress isn't a joke, it's not a "questionable excuse", it's a legit problem, and it can cause serious issues.

It's not about bad PR, it's about someone not sugarcoating shit for your delicate sensibilities. Net made a blunt statement. You don't like it. Deal with it. End of story.

P.
S.
It's a website, it's been down longer for worse reasons, get over it, go outside, and find something else to do. Because regardless of whether or not your business thrives/relies on this site... THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO. Deal with it, seriously. Shut up, suck it up, and move on. If this was a brick and mortar building job you couldn't go to because they had to remodel, you'd have to do the same.

qft because even just confronting people whom i know are going to be literal pains in the asses to deal with stresses me out enough to give me the liquid shits, bonus if i also know the outcome is going to make things around me much worse before they get better.

take this situation into account: you're at the food store on an aisle, you knock into a shelf, you spill a bunch of tomato sauce and it makes a big shattered mess. store owner hands you a mop and tells you to clean it up, and all of the customers are standing front and back screaming about what a failure you are, how much better they could do your job, how they really wanted that tomato sauce to feed their kids next week and now you've gone and ruined everything. there are tons of other aisles with tons of other food choices on them, all completely capable of being made without tomato sauce even if they might not satiate your craving, but these people would rather sit and complain about what they can't have, despite it not making the process go faster, instead of making due with whatever else is available while they're inconvenienced.

tl;dr, instead of wasting your energy pissing and moaning on the forums like it'll actually get anything done faster, go advertise on sites like DA and tumblr for commissions. it's not impossible, they have a handful of options that make getting your business out there not quite as much of a bitch as it could be if you were doing absolutely nothing.

Kantress

While I don't really get Coynu's analogy, she/he makes a good point at the end. People often are too fixated on FA. Some people do use other services, even to the exclusion of FA. Only doing business on one site isn't an optimal approach.

coynu

owns all the lancers ever
While I don't really get Coynu's analogy, she/he makes a good point at the end. People often are too fixated on FA. Some people do use other services, even to the exclusion of FA. Only doing business on one site isn't an optimal approach.

point was shit's already fucked up and it's not going to go any faster than it already is, so there's no use making the dude's day worse just 'cause you're pissed you can't get what you want (general you, btw)

teil

Wait, I'm confused by Yak's update.
Did two MORE hd's fail?

On top of the ones that they replaced?

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
Hey there, I talked to a higher up to clarify. Yes it still just two, not 4. Yak was referencing what was mentioned earlier with the two that failed that had to be replaced.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
I think Dragoneer said that they found that HDDs were running "in a degraded state" and so replacements were ordered on a contingency. As the migration now finished, they found that two of the HDDs had failed, and said that they will be replaced with the contingency HDDs.

That's how I took it - anyone else?

Bloody glad to hear the good news though. Top dollah to the team. <3

Kaeko

peace keeping minx
Okay so the eta is actually plausible for today?

teil

Hey there, I talked to a higher up to clarify. Yes it still just two, not 4. Yak was referencing what was mentioned earlier with the two that failed that had to be replaced.
Ah cool! Thanks for clarifying. That's a relief then.
Glad to finally hear from Yak too.

Hope neer isn't too torn up by everyone ripping him and yak apart. The weight of a furry community on your back while trying to fix a major problem.... I can't imagine.

seaweed

... is not a piece of flotsam

That is good to know.. if it was two *MORE* that would be crazy frustrating.. Thanks for the clarification.

dorianfen

P.
S.

QFT. Having suffered with a mental condition for the last 13 years that causes me to be susceptible to depression and S.A.D as well as major episodes of anxiety and panic attacks, I fully agree with this. I am just happy to be receiving frequent updates. Yes I am upset that the site has been down for a week. And yes I have been upset with the lack of communication, but I do understand that it takes a lot to run a website, especially with such a large userbase. That being said, the lines of communication between site staff and the users of the site need to be a little more open, and if one person is not feeling well/sick/depressed/stressed or what have you, if possible let another of the staff do the update.

As for the people complaining, I hate to sound like a copy fox, but I agree with what others have said, complaining is not going to get the site fixed any faster. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. So go find something to do, I am sure the site will be back up soon.

-Dfen

Edit: I just want to express my deepest thanks for the site staff that are working to fix the problem, and those that are trying to keep us informed. Without you guys there would be no FA. <3

Last edited:

DuckO

First I want to say thank you thank you thank you for all the effort you guys have put in through this mess. Considering, I can imagine what it's like at the moment considering. And second, I noticed in another thread that you mention that the major site update project is still ongoing, which shocked the hell out of me. Mostly because, and I'm sure this is true for many, I thought it was surely long sense dead and tossed into the preverbal bone yard as I haven't seen aaaany updates in regards to it for something like... Years. And it may be because I don't go to the forums much, but it even seems here, just looking around there's nothing outright obvious. And I know it's not your department so this is more a request to pass onto the tech staff, a suggestion really, that they may consider regular updates to the community on its development, at the very least monthly, on FA itself? I'm sure it'd go a long way just to hear things are moving. As it stands the only thing I found was the thread on the new stuff in the suggestion box which up until recently had been dead for some three years.

Again, thank you guys for all the hard work through this mess and I wish you relaxing down time once it's all fixed!

AmaruKaze

I am really surprised that being stressed is an excuse ( Yeah I know it can become serious ).

The first thing I was asked during my job interview for an apprenticeship in an IT Company was if I had a problem getting up at unearthly hours just to investigate a downtime or do maintenance. The company I work for warned me, although this is not common since everyone in this business is well aware of those things. If you cannot handle the stress, you are simply not suit to do this job. As people with asthma shouldn't really be a carpenter because of saw-dust and stuff.

On the other hand, why didn't one of the forum moderators or other administrators bite the sour apple. Net could have informed them ( briefed ), before heading off to bed and curing his sickness. We would have an update, a person capable of discussing things with us and made sure Net got his rest. All people would have been happy.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
I am really surprised that being stressed is an excuse ( Yeah I know it can become serious ).

The first thing I was asked during my job interview for an apprenticeship in an IT Company was if I had a problem getting up at unearthly hours just to investigate a downtime or do maintenance. The company I work for warned me, although this is not common since everyone in this business is well aware of those things. If you cannot handle the stress, you are simply not suit to do this job. As people with asthma shouldn't really be a carpenter because of saw-dust and stuff.

On the other hand, why didn't one of the forum moderators or other administrators bite the sour apple. Net could have informed them ( briefed ), before heading off to bed and curing his sickness. We would have an update, a person capable of discussing things with us and made sure Net got his rest. All people would have been happy.

The IT staff knew the risks already, but customer service tends to be more stressful than waking up excessively early. Right now, it is just trying to appease the user base and get this thing up and running while dealing with bombardment of PMs that consists of threats, complaint and threats, complain and threats and a lawsuit, extreme threats...among the piles and piles of questions dealing with it. That's stressful to deal with.

And like with any IT or customer service, you have to be patient and learn not to get angry with the person that is trying to assist in alleviating the issue. Yelling, screaming, and threats are not going to help make them go any faster.

Being stressed doesn't help, and lowers morale on top of other problems. So yes, stress is a valid excuse.

AliothFox

That High-Flyin' Foxy
The IT staff knew the risks already, but customer service tends to be more stressful than waking up excessively early. Right now, it is just trying to appease the user base and get this thing up and running while dealing with bombardment of PMs that consists of threats, complaint and threats, complain and threats and a lawsuit, extreme threats...among the piles and piles of questions dealing with it. That's stressful to deal with.

Wait... have you seriously got people threatening you with lawsuits and worse? I mean, I was talking on the threads yesterday about being annoyed and whatnot - everyone is - but wow... really? That's... I have no words.

AmaruKaze

Wait... have you seriously got people threatening you with lawsuits and worse? I mean, I was talking on the threads yesterday about being annoyed and whatnot - everyone is - but wow... really? That's... I have no words.

I have rather the fear that those lawsuits are actually filed and might actually have to be discussed in front of a court. If everything goes wrong they might even win ( Hence, we gave a woman money because she spilled hot coffee in her lap, so where do judges draw the line?)

Wyebirdy

I'm just glad to hear that FA will be back to normal soon :] Top work staff! Doesn't matter to me that the thread was closed, as they still gave us an update about it. Not much to discuss on that matter, was there? Considering how off topic the other thread went xD;

And seriously? Lawsuits? o_O

AliothFox

That High-Flyin' Foxy
I have rather the fear that those lawsuits are actually filed and might actually have to be discussed in front of a court. If everything goes wrong they might even win ( Hence, we gave a woman money because she spilled hot coffee in her lap, so where do judges draw the line?)

I doubt that. That's why FA's terms of service specifically have a "no warranty, no liability" disclaimer (as most sites do). Yeah, I'm that guy who actually DOES "read and understand the terms of service" before joining a site X3

EDIT: That, and most of those threats are just people hiding behind the anonymity of the internet and making threats as if that will somehow make the process move faster. I'm pretty sure not one of them would actually have the spine to take FA to court, where their physical presence would be required, over a furry web site.

Mazz

THE BLEACH, IT DOES NOTHING!!!
I doubt that. That's why FA's terms of service specifically have a "no warranty, no liability" disclaimer (as most sites do). Yeah, I'm that guy who actually DOES "read and understand the terms of service" before joining a site X3

EDIT: That, and most of those threats are just people hiding behind the anonymity of the internet and making threats as if that will somehow make the process move faster. I'm pretty sure not one of them would actually have the spine to take FA to court, where their physical presence would be required, over a furry web site.

This, no one attempting put a lawsuit against FA because of an extended, unplanned downtime would get far even if they did actually go all the way to court with it.

Just reading half the comments in all these threads while FA has been down I'm not at all surprised at threats of physical harm being placed, considering a lot of people have already been verbally abusive to the staff. I've been pointing out for awhile to just make locked threads in the Site Status forum with updates to try to curb the childish behavior and bickering between half the people here but obviously people just have to make threads to try to get shit flinging going anyway.

Hopefully all goes well and the site it back up and running soon.

maxgoof

Frankly, I'm surprised they allow any responses on Site Status, anyway.

I mean, isn't Site Status supposed to be where they tell us what the status of the site is, not where we complain about how long it's been since the last one or how unacceptable this status is?

I thought that was what Site Discussion was for.

Am I the only one who believes that no one is really threatening people with bodily harm and lawsuits? Maybe some people from lulz and 4chan, but really. I get that you are all stressed, I know the mods care about the site. But being stressed isn't an excuse not to keep people updated at a reasonable time. I was a website moderator on the biggest Starcraft2 site for two years, I know people get pissed and angry. I can't help but feel the "...dealing with bombardment of PMs that consists of threats, complaint and threats, complain and threats and a lawsuit, extreme threats..." is a gross exaggeration.

Mazz

THE BLEACH, IT DOES NOTHING!!!
Am I the only one who believes that no one is really threatening people with bodily harm and lawsuits? Maybe some people from lulz and 4chan, but really. I get that you are all stressed, I know the mods care about the site. But being stressed isn't an excuse not to keep people updated at a reasonable time. I was a website moderator on the biggest Starcraft2 site for two years, I know people get pissed and angry. I can't help but feel the "...dealing with bombardment of PMs that consists of threats, complaint and threats, complain and threats and a lawsuit, extreme threats..." is a gross exaggeration.

Yo've apparently never been an admin of a large furry forum or website. I dealt with threats of bodily harm from members because we did something they didn't like.

With how abusive people are being in these threads alone I am not doubting some of the self entitled gits in this fandom are threatening the staff.