• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Site status closed?

Mazz

THE BLEACH, IT DOES NOTHING!!!
Frankly, I'm surprised they allow any responses on Site Status, anyway.

I mean, isn't Site Status supposed to be where they tell us what the status of the site is, not where we complain about how long it's been since the last one or how unacceptable this status is?

I thought that was what Site Discussion was for.

They've never allowed replies on the Site Status section but they were posting most their updates here in Site Discussion which I found silly.

AliothFox

That High-Flyin' Foxy
Am I the only one who believes that no one is really threatening people with bodily harm and lawsuits? Maybe some people from lulz and 4chan, but really. I get that you are all stressed, I know the mods care about the site. But being stressed isn't an excuse not to keep people updated at a reasonable time. I was a website moderator on the biggest Starcraft2 site for two years, I know people get pissed and angry. I can't help but feel the "...dealing with bombardment of PMs that consists of threats, complaint and threats, complain and threats and a lawsuit, extreme threats..." is a gross exaggeration.

Oh, no. I believe it. Yeah, things get blown out of proportion when the site goes down, but I 100% believe that people are indeed acting that stupid over it. If the mods are stressed, so is everyone else. And stressed-out furries are prone to... well, idiotic behavior. Oh, I'll be the first to admit that I've done my share of griping about this site being down - and I've also griped about some people's dismissive attitude about it. But still - threatening the ones trying to fix it and keep us up to date isn't going to get it up and running any faster. My first thought upon seeing that was not one of disbelief - it was one of trying to put into words the feeling of wanting to put my palm THROUGH my face.

Myr

Big Dragon
I told a bunch of friends that I'd expect this site to come back on Tuesday. Always multiply FA's initial estimates by a factor of 4.

What I'm more curious about is the mentioning of Percona. Is that a server, or are they seriously overpaying for unnecessary consulting services?

Yo've apparently never been an admin of a large furry forum or website. I dealt with threats of bodily harm from members because we did something they didn't like.

With how abusive people are being in these threads alone I am not doubting some of the self entitled gits in this fandom are threatening the staff.

I was a moderator of a video game site of one of the most anticipated video games for its time. You really think some of the childish, immature, and entitled people in a gaming community aren't just as bad? Go ahead and play sc2 or LoL sometime and tell me how understanding those individuals can be. I had angry people and "threats" all the time. I still feel the bodily harm and threats are blown out of proportion. You always have people saying "go kill yourself" and "I hope you die in a fire," unfortunately, because it's the internet. As much as everyone likes to hate on furries, they're hardly any worse than any other niche group - and I seriously doubt there are tons of lawsuit and death threat messages that are more than idle internet bitching, which everyone has experienced.

Aliothfox" said:
And stressed-out furries are prone to... well, idiotic behavior. Oh, I'll be the first to admit that I've done my share of griping about this site being down - and I've also griped about some people's dismissive attitude about it. But still - threatening the ones trying to fix it and keep us up to date isn't going to get it up and running any faster.

I really think everyone has just said "everyone is worse because furries" a million times, while trying to tell the public furries aren't all that bad. Pick one. I understand this group can be frustrating, but let's not pretend this community is any worse than any other group of people. And there is a HUGE difference between bitching and complaining and threatening someone and death wishes. I've done my share of bitching over this closure, but I think people are entitled to let off some steam.

[edited for another reply, as to not double post]

Last edited:

AliothFox

That High-Flyin' Foxy
I really think everyone has just said "everyone is worse because furries" a million times, while trying to tell the public furries aren't all that bad. Pick one. I understand this group can be frustrating, but let's not pretend this community is any worse than any other group of people. And there is a HUGE difference between bitching and complaining and threatening someone and death wishes. I've done my share of bitching over this closure, but I think people are entitled to let off some steam.

Touché. You have a point there. I'll revise my statement to say "stressed out people" instead of "stressed out furries."

coyoteOdin

When, finally, the site will work in normal mode? Almost a week waiting for .... nerves are no longer sufficient:(

AliothFox

That High-Flyin' Foxy
When, finally, the site will work in normal mode? Almost a week waiting for .... nerves are no longer sufficient:(

Net said it will be up today barring unforeseen circumstances. Yak reiterated that. Frankly, I'll believe it when I see it, but nothing any of us can do will make it go faster.

maxgoof

Net said it will be up today barring unforeseen circumstances. Yak reiterated that. Frankly, I'll believe it when I see it, but nothing any of us can do will make it go faster.

Well, I admit I'm disappointed they could not estimate the data transfer rate better. It took two days more than they thought, because they underestimated the time to transfer notifications would take by a factor of ten, when the last data transfer took more time than anticipated because of the notifications.

So, as I'm reading through all of these threads, I can't help but fully understand the reason why they locked the update thread, the reason is staring everyone right in the face at this very moment. Anyone that has any bit of work with computers KNOWS that NOTHING goes as scheduled. Computers are not like cars, you don't just put gas in and go. I'm not trying to flame anyone or say that anyone is wrong for their opinion, but my god Furaffinity is NOT Deviant Art. They don't have the IT staff and thousands (millions?) of dollars of support needed to keep things perfect. That is also not my attempt to say that those working on this problem don't know what they are doing, they are doing what they can with what they have and for the most part, I appreciate them even taking the time to do this. If I'm not mistaken, every single FA staff member/mod/admin (whatever you want to call them) has a life and job outside of the site, they can't sit around 24/7 and watch the code fly by. I can certainly agree with "life and feeling sick" as a reason to lock a thread because if everyone just went there to bitch, it's just going to make that person feel even worse. We are less than two weeks away from Christmas, it's stressful. It's cold outside. People this time of year are stupid (in the stores), even if you don't work retail, you're bound to run into it at some point.

A lot of reasons for not updating can be made, partly the technical jargon, I just barely understand most of it myself and I build my own rigs. Sometimes you get so deep into working on things that you don't realize you've literally just wasted a day and forget to update. I do wish I had the kind of experience needed for working on something like this, but what bit of knowledge I do have keeps me humbled and knowing that even a fuzzy deadline can become even fuzzier. They just reported that a burn in of two of their drives failed, that's not a good thing, it means another failure if they had ignored it to get the site up and running, then we would be right back where we are now. Just let them do their work, it'll be fixed when it's fixed.

I love being around the site, for the most part, people can be fun and inviting... but as I seen on one thread here, if one thing goes wrong, you're just short of marching on Dragoneer's house to tar and feather him. I think the Beatles said it best, "let it be" :D

S

Sar

I'm just glad to hear that FA will be back to normal soon :] Top work staff! Doesn't matter to me that the thread was closed, as they still gave us an update about it. Not much to discuss on that matter, was there? Considering how off topic the other thread went xD;
At this stage, there isn't really anything new or within topic anyone will attempt to say that hasn't been said. The only change will be the site is back online.
That's it really.

/sitethreads

LadyDarkSphynx

On the other hand, why didn't one of the forum moderators or other administrators bite the sour apple. Net could have informed them ( briefed ), before heading off to bed and curing his sickness. We would have an update, a person capable of discussing things with us and made sure Net got his rest. All people would have been happy.

There have been a significant number of people complaining in the update threads over the fact that it was forum moderators posting updates and 'they weren't hearing from someone in a position of true authority/knowledge to speak for what has been occurring'. If I were to hazard a guess, net-cat was sent in to address that particular segment of the populace.

S

Sar

There have been a significant number of people complaining in the update threads over the fact that it was forum moderators posting updates and 'they weren't hearing from someone in a position of true authority/knowledge to speak for what has been occurring'. If I were to hazard a guess, net-cat was sent in to address that particular segment of the populace.
I'm doubt that being the reason but rather take the post from net-cat as it's face value.

C

Chazykins

"In roughly one hour, we will begin the final fixes for FA. The site may go in/out during that time while we do hardware changes, reboots " from FA on twitter

Cough. Bullshit. Cough Lol jk, but I don't see the site being on tonight. I'm just glad they are working hard on this~

Etiainen

Banned
Banned
Newsflash: They just killed another harddrive.
Oh wait, the hour isn't up yet.
Ran out of excuses to make for the site not being up.

sethtriggs

Newsflash: They just killed another harddrive.
Oh wait, the hour isn't up yet.
Ran out of excuses to make for the site not being up.

"In roughly one hour, we will begin the final fixes for FA. The site may go in/out during that time while we do hardware changes, reboots " from FA on twitter

---

That does not say the site will be up in an hour.

Do you really feel your invective is helping to fix the site at all?

C

Chazykins

"FA will be up tonight. The drive transfer's complete, and we've scheduled time to do hardware fixes." from FA on twitter.
11u966c.jpg

LOL . Okay ill stop trolling. I hope the site is up tonight. I feel kinda bad for the ones that are working on it.

Freehaven

Dammit.
At this point, FA's a damn zombie site. Living, yet dead.

Itchy. Tasty.

Mazz

THE BLEACH, IT DOES NOTHING!!!

---

That does not say the site will be up in an hour.

Do you really feel your invective is helping to fix the site at all?

Everything this user (as in Etiainen) has said has been nothing but trolling, rude, borderline abusive comments about the staff and FA.
The best thing to do is ignore the vile stench of words seeping through their teeth.

Duraji

"That Android Guy"
They killed another RAID card. Site is down until Friday.

At this point I can't even tell if you're joking/exaggerating or if that's actually true, I half expect both equally. :p

Though you were right when you mentioned the failed hard drives and said "enjoy your FA-free weekend"... worry worry worry!

Last edited: