• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Site Suggestion: Auto-breaks

Ringus

yaaaaaaaaaaaa
As Chicago-lollie pointed out, this site needs auto-breaks, excluding URLs. By implementing this, stretch posts could no longer be created, which are my biggest pet peeve with this site. The Autobreak should occur after 50 characters without spaces, in order to prevent stretch posts on shouts. Although this can be argued, as shouts can be deleted.

Last edited:

Stratelier

I'm on a site that uses auto-breaks, and our auto-break parser has a nasty habit of inserting random <br />'s into URLs.

So I guess the short answer is: Good luck trying to get it to ignore bbCode.

An alternate workaround to auto-breaks is to CSS the posts with a "max-width" and "overflow: auto" so that if a post starts to stretch, it's given its own independent scrollbar.

Ringus

yaaaaaaaaaaaa
I'm on a site that uses auto-breaks, and our auto-break parser has a nasty habit of inserting random <br />'s into URLs.

but wouldn't a space just work? Or does it only give the option of <br/>?

krisCrash

Doesn't FA auto-shorten URLs though?

or is this a matter of applying the auto-breaks to the resulting visible text vs the coded contents... hrm.

Also, just force a scrollbar on width overflow :p

Mondegreen

I'm a coding analphabet, so I don't know what is and isn't possible, but I agree with Ringus - pages being streeeeeetched is my one peeve about FA. It'd be nice to have this little problem eliminated somehow.

SnowFox

When would you ever want to be able to post long strings of 50+ characters without spaces?
Code:
if($post =~ /(.)\1{5,}/)
{
	$post =~ s/(.)\1{5,}/$1/g;
	BanUser();
}

Eevee

Banned
Banned
why are people who deliberately break pages not reprimanded somehow

also slap overflow on it, done

yak

Site Developer
Administrator

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
FA displays long URLs in a slightly compressed form, if I'm not mistaken. They don't break the page.

That is correct.
However, the actual URL still remains just as long as it originally was - which means the "auto break inserter" would happily split it in half breaking everything.

krisCrash said:
or is this a matter of applying the auto-breaks to the resulting visible text vs the coded contents... hrm.