• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Size Discrimination v.s. Race, Class and Sex Discrimination

Zenia

that would mean that the inverse, fat-shaming, would result in a thinner population.
That is what my step-dad seems to believe. He would call me names to shame me and once he forced me to step on the scale to see what I weighed... I suppose thinking that it would make me strive to lose weight. Wrongo. It just made my self worth plummet into the ground. It didn't help that when I tried to lose weight, any time I thought my pants were a little looser, my mom would say things like "You didn't lose any weight, you just stretched it out." Yeah... that helped *eye roll*. So I figured that my current diet wasn't working, so I would quit.

The time he forced me on the scale... I only weighed 165. That is really only 20lbs heavier than my "ideal weight" according to what my doctor said about my height. My dad happened to be the same weight and he went on and on about how I was the same as him, but he was a man that was 6' tall. He made me feel so bad about myself... like being 20lbs overweight was the worst thing ever. I would kill to be there now. Heck, even 200lbs is ok. I will get there again eventually. I hope.

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
That is what my step-dad seems to believe. He would call me names to shame me and once he forced me to step on the scale to see what I weighed... I suppose thinking that it would make me strive to lose weight. Wrongo. It just made my self worth plummet into the ground. It didn't help that when I tried to lose weight, any time I thought my pants were a little looser, my mom would say things like "You didn't lose any weight, you just stretched it out." Yeah... that helped *eye roll*. So I figured that my current diet wasn't working, so I would quit.

The time he forced me on the scale... I only weighed 165. That is really only 20lbs heavier than my "ideal weight" according to what my doctor said about my height. My dad happened to be the same weight and he went on and on about how I was the same as him, but he was a man that was 6' tall. He made me feel so bad about myself... like being 20lbs overweight was the worst thing ever. I would kill to be there now. Heck, even 200lbs is ok. I will get there again eventually. I hope.

bullying fat people into loosing weight imo will not work but will probably have the opposite effect. The best way would be to encourage them to loose weight in a non bullying way.

ScaredToBreathe

Special Snowflake
bullying fat people into loosing weight imo will not work but will probably have the opposite effect. The best way would be to encourage them to loose weight in a non bullying way.

There really isn't a way to gently encourage people to lose weight. They won't be motivated if you don't wake them up a bit.

Randy-Darkshade

There really isn't a way to gently encourage people to lose weight. They won't be motivated if you don't wake them up a bit.

Umm, yes there is dude, yes there is. Calmly telling someone "Ya know, you should consider loosing some weight, I'll help if you like" is far better than "You fucking fat lump of shit, you need to loose some fucking weight lardo"

So yes, there is a gentler way to put it.

ScaredToBreathe

Special Snowflake
Umm, yes there is dude, yes there is. Calmly telling someone "Ya know, you should consider loosing some weight, I'll help if you like" is far better than "You fucking fat lump of shit, you need to loose some fucking weight lardo"

Have you ever done that and had the person actually listen?
I mean, just look at Jillian Michaels. She's one of the best personal trainers and she can be a total bitch.

Randy-Darkshade

Have you ever done that and had the person actually listen?
I mean, just look at Jillian Michaels. She's one of the best personal trainers and she can be a total bitch.

If people are going to be a bitch to me, I wont listen. I wont be spoken to like dirt on someones shoe.

And in answer to your question, yes.

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
It's pretty clearly a lead-up to the "they brought it on themselves" mentality, which has been expressed multiple times in this thread.
Although some have brought it on themselves I also recognize not all have.

I think the risk is fairly mild, because that would mean that the inverse, fat-shaming, would result in a thinner population. We live in a society which almost absolutely embraces fat-shaming, yet obesity rates continue to climb. That climb is obviously not a result of fat acceptance.
True but that does not dismiss the possibility of the effects of acceptance, because it would be one less reason to "try not too" become "heavy". I am just expressing a possibility.

No. How would anyone be able to tell? I know off the top of my head four people who are overweight through no fault of their own. (One has an inborn condition, one has to take life-saving medication which causes weight gain as a side effect, the other two were "raised fat" and are working to lose it but that doesn't happen overnight.) Almost every other overweight person I've met, I actually don't know what caused it because they've never told me, it's not my business to ask, and I don't observe their daily life. If I decided it was okay to blame a particular type of overweight person, which basically mandates treating them with more negativity, I wouldn't know which type 99% of the overweight people I meet fall into.
Its merely something to think about, but regardless, if rates of obesity are rising there is likely a non-genetic issue associated with it, likely (although not defiantly) tied with a neglect actions.

A whole society does not simply become significantly more overweight in a few generations due to genetic reasons alone, that would take /many/ more generations. The big issue is from my understanding is becoming obese causes health issues that make it harder to loose that mass, this is part of the reason I think generational obesity through Being "raised fat" is just as if not more abusive then beating the kids, intentional or not.

Ad Hoc

THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
. . . She's a reality TV host who's supposed to create dramatic and entertaining TV. Contestants of her shows have admitted to using dangerous practices like intentionally dehydrating themselves to get a lower number for weigh-ins, and many contestants gain weight back.

I mean, we have a person on this very thread whose weight was negatively impacted by shaming, who didn't start to lose weight again until she'd gotten out of that environment and started building her confidence back up. Do you feel she is lying?

Although some have brought it on themselves I also recognize not all have.
I meant "they brought [the discrimination] upon themselves," perhaps I should have been clearer.

True but that does not dismiss the possibility of the effects of acceptance, because it would be one less reason to "try not too" become "heavy". I am just expressing a possibility.
A fairly distant possibility. Aside from a few odd fetishists, hardly anyone actually wants to be fat. Considering that fat-shaming has again and again be shown be ineffective or plain counteractive, it's unlikely that shaming would cause worse problems. Acceptance isn't celebration, it's just neutrality. It may even help things--shaming causes stress, which causes a release of cortisol, which is well known to cause weight gain. Hypothyroidism is also heavily associated with stress.

Its merely something to think about, but regardless, if rates of obesity are rising there is likely a non-genetic issue associated with it, likely (although not defiantly) tied with a neglect actions.

A whole society does not simply become significantly more overweight in a few generations due to genetic reasons alone, that would take /many/ more generations. The big issue is from my understanding is becoming obese causes health issues that make it harder to loose that mass, this is part of the reason I think generational obesity through Being "raised fat" is just as if not more abusive then beating the kids, intentional or not.
Genes can't account for it, no, but no one is saying that they do. Hypothyroidism, for example, is only sporadically congenital and in the developed world is actually heavily associated with--you guessed it--stress. There are also causes like physical disability, medication side effects, living in a food desert, upbringing, etc.,

But yes, the primary underlying cause likely is cultural. We do live in a culture which, although it despises the overweight, celebrates a number of things that would cause a person to become overweight. Our junk food is subsidized and our physical education programs are underfunded. We encourage high-stress lifestyles and value the person who works overtime and grabs some McDonalds on the way home over the person who clocks out on time and spends an hour on a home-cooked meal. We let junk food advertisers sink their hooks into people practically in infancy. Now, these things theoretically could be overcome with sufficient self-control, but it's really not a wonder that people fall through the cracks on them, and the obesity epidemic is likely to continue for as long as these policies do, quite regardless of any stigma or lack thereof concerning the overweight.

EDIT: And, I actually do believe that it's possible for a person to be naturally heavier that average, even without a health problem of some sort. I naturally bounce between underweight to low-end average; I don't really see why someone else couldn't do the opposite, although I doubt it accounts for medical obesity.

Last edited:

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
i love how much this argument gets defended with "well i just don't want them to be FAT! :("...just sayin'.

i don't know that anyone should approach the situation with "is it as bad as [x]?" but rather "discrimination is awful in every way". i mean, this isn't a war. it's people being mistreated for who they are. there shouldn't be a "WELL AT LEAST YOU'RE NOT BEING MISTREATED BECAUSE YOU'RE [x]!"

weight and body discrimination definitely does exist, and i feel like a lot of it is pseudosympathetic "I'M JUST LOOKING OUT FOR YOU" when in reality people don't want to just outright say "you need to stop being fat/thin because i don't like it" (which is also fucked up and shouldn't be said either). there is definitely a lot of mistreatment based on size on both sides of the field. people think that weight shaming only happens to overweight people, but it happens a lot to naturally skinny people, and can be just as destructive.

so yes, size discrimination happens. no, it shouldn't be approached with a "but is it as bad as...?" topic. that only promotes ignoring mistreatment with "at least you're not being mistreated for...!" defenses.

Randy-Darkshade

weight and body discrimination definitely does exist, and i feel like a lot of it is pseudosympathetic "I'M JUST LOOKING OUT FOR YOU" when in reality people don't want to just outright say "you need to stop being fat/thin because i don't like it" (which is also fucked up and shouldn't be said either). there is definitely a lot of mistreatment based on size on both sides of the field. people think that weight shaming only happens to overweight people, but it happens a lot to naturally skinny people, and can be just as destructive.

so yes, size discrimination happens. no, it shouldn't be approached with a "but is it as bad as...?" topic. that only promotes ignoring mistreatment with "at least you're not being mistreated for...!" defenses.

I hope to god you are not seriously trying tell us that people don't give a fuck about other peoples health because in "reality" people can't say they don't like it because I will so smack you right now for talking utter bullshit.

Because I like many others know that when one is over weight (like myself) it causes health problems. Depending on your weight the health problems can be minor or major. Are you seriously trying to tell me that people just say nice things about loosing weight/gaining weight purely because they can't say they don't like it?

I mean are you suggesting that we don;t encourage these people to loose/gain weight (which ever they need to do) to benefit their OWN health?

Rilvor

Formal when angry
i love how much this argument gets defended with "well i just don't want them to be FAT! :("...just sayin'.

i don't know that anyone should approach the situation with "is it as bad as [x]?" but rather "discrimination is awful in every way". i mean, this isn't a war. it's people being mistreated for who they are. there shouldn't be a "WELL AT LEAST YOU'RE NOT BEING MISTREATED BECAUSE YOU'RE [x]!"

To assume sincerity does not exist is a height of folly and ignorance. Please think about such things before you speak, you cannot defend against ignorance with ignorance.

Bambi

Uhm, I'd like to call bullshit on somethings real quick, and it's Spits who reminded me. First of all, a random stranger making an absurd comment about your weight is not really that concerned with what they perceive to be your actual, physical health; let's get specific here, as "concerned" as in "maternally worried that you're eating yourself to death" is more like, "Ew, gross, now let me be a dick and say something retarded."

Here's what's really going on behind the facade of every "nice" bully, man, woman, or child: they a. see something that reminds themselves of their own battles with weight and image, and b. respond with appeals to ridicule in order to resolve their internal dissonance about such struggles.

Putting it into simpler terms: a random stranger whose got to say SOMETHING about what you're doing when it is absolutely not fucking with anybody elses shit is really just doing so to call attention to themselves. And what's really bad is when these people use the whole, "But I'm so concerned about you!" act, what they're really saying is, "I am going to be horrible and cruel right to your face, and than blame you for being insensitive or nonobjective when you call me on it." It's like I've wanted to say to these people (though have thankfully never had the opportunity): "Hey, asshole, leave the concerning to me, alright?" Another, more oh-so-subtle thing behind ridiculing someone for their weight and pretending it's care, is the fact that the people who are insulting you are really just trying to say, "Lose weight so you can be a more attractive person to fuck."

Don't take my argument out of context; it simply is meant to apply to the "nice" bully. Nice=/=kind. "Morality" of physical appearance=beauty pageant for shallow fuck-tards.

Last edited:

Randy-Darkshade

Uhm, I'd like to call bullshit on somethings real quick, and it's Spits who reminded me. First of all, a random stranger making an absurd comment about your weight is not really that concerned with what they perceive to be your actual, physical health; let's get specific here, as "concerned" as in "maternally worried that you're eating yourself to death" is more like, "Ew, gross, now let me be a dick and say something retarded."

Here's what's really going on behind the facade of every "nice" bully, man, woman, or child: they a. see something that reminds themselves of their own battles with weight and image, and b. respond with appeals to ridicule in order to resolve their internal dissonance about such struggles.

Putting it into simpler terms: a random stranger whose got to say SOMETHING about what you're doing when it is absolutely not fucking with anybody elses shit is really just doing so to call attention to themselves. And what's really bad is when these people use the whole, "But I'm so concerned about you!" act, what they're really saying is, "I am going to be horrible and cruel right to your face, and than blame you for being insensitive or nonobjective when you call me on it." It's like I've wanted to say to these people (though have thankfully never had the opportunity): "Hey, asshole, leave the concerning to me, alright?" Another, more oh-so-subtle thing behind ridiculing someone for their weight and pretending it's care, is the fact that the people who are insulting you are really just trying to say, "Lose weight so you can be a more attractive person to fuck."

Don't take my argument out of context; it simply is meant to apply to the "nice" bully. Nice=/=kind. "Morality" of physical appearance=beauty pageant for shallow fuck-tards.

Oh of course, complete strangers shouldn't comment, it's not their place too. I was more referring to friends and family saying something.

Rilvor

Formal when angry

I think it is generally easy to tell the difference between sincerity and passive aggressiveness. I am not trying to say that what you are saying is invalid, but there are also people who take kindness and twist it into something horrible to harm you with. This is perhaps why sincerity is less common?
Oh of course, complete strangers shouldn't comment, it's not their place too. I was more referring to friends and family saying something.
Indeed. This is mostly what I am talking about as well; People that know you.

However I do find it bothersome how often people are quick to discount sincerity [Or perhaps genuine, in the case of someone asking why] to place malice in its place. The cruelty of man is unending, but I have caught myself many a time discounting others for malice when I found it was not such much to my later guilt.

foxmusk

uh oh stinky
I hope to god you are not seriously trying tell us that people don't give a fuck about other peoples health because in "reality" people can't say they don't like it because I will so smack you right now for talking utter bullshit.

Because I like many others know that when one is over weight (like myself) it causes health problems. Depending on your weight the health problems can be minor or major. Are you seriously trying to tell me that people just say nice things about loosing weight/gaining weight purely because they can't say they don't like it?

I mean are you suggesting that we don;t encourage these people to loose/gain weight (which ever they need to do) to benefit their OWN health?

hfbbfbfhh where did you get that?
i don't even know where i said anything of that nature...

anyway...
no, i'm not saying anything related to that? i said it's shitty for people to shame people's bodies for who they are, especially if they're just overweight or underweight and are still doing fine. i'm saying we should promote being HEALTHY, regardless of size. if you're healthy and overweight, rock on. if you're healthy and underweight, more power. that's what matters.

jfc.

Randy-Darkshade

hfbbfbfhh where did you get that?
i don't even know where i said anything of that nature...

anyway...
no, i'm not saying anything related to that? i said it's shitty for people to shame people's bodies for who they are, especially if they're just overweight or underweight and are still doing fine. i'm saying we should promote being HEALTHY, regardless of size. if you're healthy and overweight, rock on. if you're healthy and underweight, more power. that's what matters.

jfc.

Dude, you can't be HEALTHY and OVERWEIGHT at the same time, it doesn't work.

foxmusk

uh oh stinky

oh my jesus YES YOU CAN. there's a big difference between being overweight and being obese. just like you can be underweight and still be healthy. it's just how people's bodies work.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/06/phys-ed-can-you-be-overweight-and-still-be-healthy/ first search result. it's pretty simple, really. some bodies are just built to handle what they are. look at how many people are incredibly scrawny and have awesome metabolism. THEY'RE healthy. look at overweight people who can dance, and run, and do all this olympic shit. THEY'RE healthy.

Bipolar Bear

Phallus Fellater
I'm a Furry, a Homosexual, Agnostic, a bit of an Emo, a Conscientiousness Objector and a tad bit overweight. So, I'll admit that I've been victim to metric shit-tons of discrimination, and have had my self-esteem shot more than Max Payne. But that hasn't stopped me and it never will. No way, no how.

I think the absolute key to losing weight is to remove any and all temptation and build up willpower against it. Hell, I haven't a single slice of cake or pizza in over a month! All because of one word: No. It's done wonders for me. =)

Ad Hoc

Untrue. "Overweight" is a nebulous concept. For example, the American female weightlifting champ, Sarah Robles, at 5'10'' and 275 lb is "severely obese" by conventional medical standards. That's not just extra muscle goofing up the BMI system either. According to her own blog, her body fat percentage is 35%, which is also considered obese. Yet she has no outstanding medical problems* and is an Olympic athlete who could wipe the goddamn floor with every fat-shamer on this thread.

As far as I recall, Zenia has no heart, cholesterol, or mobility problems in spite of her weight. My ma's the same way--she does have some joint/organ problems but they come from a genetic condition, and I suffer from the same despite being variably under- or average weight. Health has more to do with genes, environment, and the quality (rather than quantity) of one's diet than it does with weight alone. Being overweight can come from an unhealthy lifestyle, but poor health does not necessarily come from being overweight. It is very possible to be overweight and quite healthy.

*She did used to have high cholesterol but adjusted her diet and now it's actually lower than average. Her weight did not change.

Randy-Darkshade

Untrue. "Overweight" is a nebulous concept. For example, the American female weightlifting champ, Sarah Robles, at 5'10'' and 275 lb is "severely obese" by conventional medical standards. That's not just extra muscle goofing up the BMI system either. According to her own blog, her body fat percentage is 35%, which is also considered obese. Yet she has no outstanding medical problems* and is an Olympic athlete who could wipe the goddamn floor with every fat-shamer on this thread.

As far as I recall, Zenia has no heart, cholesterol, or mobility problems in spite of her weight. My ma's the same way--she does have some joint/organ problems but they come from a genetic condition, and I suffer from the same despite being variably under- or average weight. Health has more to do with genes, environment, and the quality (rather than quantity) of one's diet than it does with weight alone. Being overweight can come from an unhealthy lifestyle, but poor health does not necessarily come from being overweight. It is very possible to be overweight and quite healthy.

*She did used to have high cholesterol but adjusted her diet and now it's actually lower than average. Her weight did not change.

oh my jesus YES YOU CAN. there's a big difference between being overweight and being obese. just like you can be underweight and still be healthy. it's just how people's bodies work.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/06/phys-ed-can-you-be-overweight-and-still-be-healthy/ first search result. it's pretty simple, really. some bodies are just built to handle what they are. look at how many people are incredibly scrawny and have awesome metabolism. THEY'RE healthy. look at overweight people who can dance, and run, and do all this olympic shit. THEY'RE healthy.

I hate to burst ya bubble guys but even people who are mildly overweight (like myself) can be unhealthy. I can do everything you listed, I can run, skip, jump, ride a bicycle the six miles to my mums house and back again without stopping, ride 9 miles to the next town without a break (Yeah, I have high stamina I guess) My weight doesn't prevent me doing what people of an average weight can do, but I still have health problems, I'm now type two diabetic, I have high blood pressure and high lipids in my blood. It may or may not be directly caused by my weight (I am roughly 210lbs at 5'4")

Perhaps what I should have said is, even being mildly over weight can cause some health issues.

Maybe my diabetes was bought on because I adored energy drinks and had a very big sweet tooth, I loved candy bars, snack cakes, cookies, biscuits etc. I used to be able to gorge half a pack of cookies at a time, maybe all that sugar intake caused my pancreas to malfunction, I don't know I'm not an expert. I actually didn't think anything would go wrong with my body because I am always active and never gained any weight or lost any, and if I did go either way it was just a tiny bit.

I am now trying to shake some weight off, hence why I snapped up that forman grill I mentioned in the fat furry pride thread. I'm even trying to spend my money each fortnight before I get tempted to go get a take out. I've pretty much had enough of my old lifestyle. All I see when I look down is a beer gut and I want to at least reduce it.

Ad Hoc

I hate to burst ya bubble guys but even people who are mildly overweight (like myself) can be unhealthy.
Absolutely at no point did anyone claim that it's impossible to be unhealthy whilst overweight. What's being argued against is the assumption that "you can't be HEALTHY and OVERWEIGHT at the same time, it doesn't work," which is blatantly untrue, as people like Sarah Robles demonstrate. It is completely possible to be overweight and healthy, just as it is possible to be average weight and unhealthy.

I can do everything you listed, I can run, skip, jump, ride a bicycle the six miles to my mums house and back again without stopping, ride 9 miles to the next town without a break (Yeah, I have high stamina I guess) My weight doesn't prevent me doing what people of an average weight can do, but I still have health problems, I'm now type two diabetic, I have high blood pressure and high lipids in my blood. It may or may not be directly caused by my weight (I am roughly 210lbs at 5'4")

Perhaps what I should have said is, even being mildly over weight can cause some health issues.

Maybe my diabetes was bought on because I adored energy drinks and had a very big sweet tooth, I loved candy bars, snack cakes, cookies, biscuits etc. I used to be able to gorge half a pack of cookies at a time, maybe all that sugar intake caused my pancreas to malfunction, I don't know I'm not an expert. I actually didn't think anything would go wrong with my body because I am always active and never gained any weight or lost any, and if I did go either way it was just a tiny bit.
It's more like that your weight is correlated with your health problems rather than the actual cause of them. I think your third paragraph here is spot on--your health problems were caused by your former diet. That may or may not have also caused your weight, but either way it wasn't the weight that cause the problems, it was your old diet. That kind of diet would also cause problems for someone like me who is naturally thin. (I can eat and eat and not gain a pound, runs in my father's side of the family.) The weight is (potentially) an additional side effect rather than a primary cause.

Meanwhile, much as it is possible to have a low weight in spite of a poor diet, it's possible to have a high weight in spite of a good one. Individuals in the second situation will not necessarily have the health problems correlated with a heavy weight, as people like Sarah Robles, Zenia, and my mother demonstrate. (Again, my mother does have some health problems, but they aren't problems generally associated with weight issues, and I suffer from them too despite being quite thin.)

I am now trying to shake some weight off, hence why I snapped up that forman grill I mentioned in the fat furry pride thread. I'm even trying to spend my money each fortnight before I get tempted to go get a take out. I've pretty much had enough of my old lifestyle. All I see when I look down is a beer gut and I want to at least reduce it.
I wish you luck in obtaining your goals.

Ricky

So I was watching a documentary trailer and someone said the following quote:

"Size discrimination is every bit as much of an oppression as class discrimination, color discrimination and sexism."

What do you folks think of a statement like this? Is size discrimination (basically hating on fat people) as bad as discrimination based on class, race or sex?

Absolutely not.

Well, by "discrimination" I don't usually think "hating on fat people" but I would think denying medical benefits or the like. That WOULD be wrong.

But I think hating on fat people is OK for several reasons.

First off, although people can predisposed to gaining weight, it is of their own accord they become morbidly obese.

With proper diet and exercise this shouldn't happen to anyone.

Secondly (and most important) obesity was found to be socially contagious. The study I'm thinking of found you are (statistically) 57% more likely to become obese if you have obese friends. The reason is it is socially contagious and since people judge themselves in terms of the others around them, they often won't see anything wrong with it if they too get overweight and turn into a blimp.

So I think there needs to be MORE hating on fat people, because it's NOT okay to let yourself become morbidly obese.

Our society is such a hugbox though, it's seen as WRONG to say anything about it.

No, it is not OK. Of course I'm talking about people who are obese and not someone who is just kind of out of shape.

Everyone is different and has different body types, yadda, yadda.

Randy-Darkshade

Absolutely not.

How is it not? Discrimination is discrimination no matter what. If you don;t want to say, employ black people because they are black, that's discrimination against their color (Also probably considered racism too) Same as if you don't think women should do a "mans job" that is considered sexism and is discriminating against a specific gender. How do you see fat people treated in the same way as being different? If an employer wont employ someone because they are fat it's still discrimination, just against that persons size.

Well, by "discrimination" I don't usually think "hating on fat people" but I would think denying medical benefits or the like. That WOULD be wrong.

But I think hating on fat people is OK for several reasons.

No, it's not okay. It's not okay to hate on someone because of their skin color, gender, size or looks.

First off, although people can predisposed to gaining weight, it is of their own accord they become morbidly obese.

Wrong. There are cases out there where being obese is a result of a medical condition. To assume everyone who is morbidly obese is that way as a result of their own doing is rather naive. Same as people who are skinny. They could be beleimic(sp) or anorexic, recognized medical conditions aka eating disorders. Same as comfort eating as a result of depression is also an eating disorder, or being addicted to food. Don;t assume it is the fault of that person that they are over weight/skinny, that is very naive.

With proper diet and exercise this shouldn't happen to anyone.

Again this is wrong for people suffering from medical conditions.

Secondly (and most important) obesity was found to be socially contagious. The study I'm thinking of found you are (statistically) 57% more likely to become obese if you have obese friends. The reason is it is socially contagious and since people judge themselves in terms of the others around them, they often won't see anything wrong with it if they too get overweight and turn into a blimp.

Lol I call bollocks on that. Obesity isn't a contagious disease.

So I think there needs to be MORE hating on fat people, because it's NOT okay to let yourself become morbidly obese.

So you're saying we should hate on fat people even if their weight is a result of a medical condition and of no fault of their own. All I have to say to that is, fuck you.

Our society is such a hugbox though, it's seen as WRONG to say anything about it.

There is a right way and a wrong way to handle it and to be honest with you, a random persons weight is non of my fucking business so what right do I have to go hating on a person I don't know?

Ricky

How is it not? Discrimination is discrimination no matter what. If you don;t want to say, employ black people because they are black, that's discrimination against their color (Also probably considered racism too)

I made it pretty clear I wasn't using discrimination in that context.

Although it's the correct definition of the word, the OP states it refers to "hating on fat people."

Actually denying the people rights (and taking specific action to do so) is wrong and probably illegal.

No, it's not okay. It's not okay to hate on someone because of their skin color, gender, size or looks.

I can hate anyone I want for whatever reason I want.

Wrong. There are cases out there where being obese is a result of a medical condition.

If you consider the inability to stop putting food in one's mouth a "medical condition" then maybe. Otherwise, no.

Lol I call bollocks on that. Obesity isn't a contagious disease.

It's socially contagious. I also cited a study that was all over the news a few years back.

That's not an opinion; it's a statistically proven fact.

Randy-Darkshade

I can hate anyone I want for whatever reason I want.

That just makes you an asshole. It also doesn't make it right to hate on people for stupid reasons.

If you consider the inability to stop putting food in one's mouth a "medical condition" then maybe. Otherwise, no.

I suggest you go look up medical conditions relating to weight gain before you continue spouting this shit.

It's socially contagious. I also cited a study that was all over the news a few years back.

That's not an opinion; it's a statistically proven fact.

And it's my opinion that the study is bollocks.