• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

So, a good 3D Sonic. I'm serious. No, REALLY.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
They can exaggerate the flaws though, especially if the person doing the review doesn't normally play the genre of the game he or she's reviewing.

right. but stuff like extreme glitches or completely broken gameplay that just doesnt work the way it should (like some of the more terrible wii games) cant really be exaggerated. usually im very careful when i read a review like that. i also dont believe in those scores they give each game. its nice to see SOME sort of rating but i dont think you can capture the awesomeness of a game with a stupid numbered score...

SirRob

right. but stuff like extreme glitches or completely broken gameplay that just doesnt work the way it should (like some of the more terrible wii games) cant really be exaggerated. usually im very careful when i read a review like that. i also dont believe in those scores they give each game. its nice to see SOME sort of rating but i dont think you can capture the awesomeness of a game with a stupid numbered score...
Well okay, they can tell if a game is complete trash, I'll give you that.

BloodYoshi

people who don't trust video game reviewers:

1. have really strange or bad taste in video games

2. have blind faith in, or disgust with a certain franchise

3. are just doing it because they think it's cool

4. had one negative experience involving a video game review
^the list goes on and on

just because you didn't appreciate that IGN.com gave your favorite (shitty) game a 3.2 out of ten doesn't mean reviewers don't know what they're talking about

reviewers have a tough job, and that is explaining the mechanics and grading the quality of video games in such a way that a broad general audience can comprehend. If you're outside that general audience, don't let yourself think you're more right than anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

SirRob

I dunno, when your review starts out with 'I've never played more than an hour of any Japanese RPG' and you're reviewing a JRPG, it makes me think that the wrong person is reviewing the game.

Superscooter143

QualityGamer

^the list goes on and on

just because you didn't appreciate that IGN.com gave your favorite (shitty) game a 3.2 out of ten doesn't mean reviewers don't know what they're talking about

reviewers have a tough job, and that is explaining the mechanics and grading the quality of video games in such a way that a broad general audience can comprehend. If you're outside that general audience, don't let yourself think you're more right than anyone else.
Am I going to have to break out the famous "IGN Gave Fallout 3 a higher graphics rating than Crysis" image again?

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot

^the list goes on and on

Sorry I gotta be the few folks who enjoyed C&C 4 :V

Riptor

Ran Out Of User Titles

Yeah, except for when they're paid off to keep their mouths super-glued around a publisher's phallus. I mean, you remember that whole thing with Kane & Lynch and that one guy who didn't think it was that great, right? Or when they end up giving something like Imagine Party Babiez somewhere around an 8.

Wolf-Bone

Banned
Banned
Um, I think the reason a lot of people don't trust reviewers unflinchingly is because there's a pretty strong element of payola to the industry. I like a lot of games that get bad reviews, even if I notice their flaws just as well as the reviewer, and I know it's just a matter of personal preference that I'll suffer through the bad parts to enjoy the good while others won't. But a lot of highly rated games will have the similar flaws, and the reviewer will point these out, and then give that game a higher rating than the former regardless. Anyone remember a certain Penny Arcade comic about a certain reviewer who got fired from a certain site for giving a certain bad review to a certain game that had shitloads of money behind it?

Anyway, as for the topic. It does seem like there's a light at the end of the long tunnel that's been Sonic's career since the Dreamcast went under. Too bad for me I'm 28 now and kinda stopped caring if or when he came out of that tunnel when I was like 20. If there's a really good Sonic game out there, yeah, it's on my tentative shopping list, but it takes no more priority over anything else than other games I've been meaning to get for a while now like Siren Bloodcurse and Fallout 3.

Wreth

GERTY
Am I going to have to break out the famous "IGN Gave Fallout 3 a higher graphics rating than Crysis" image again?

Pretty sure that takes in the size and detail of the game. It'd be much harder to make a large open world game like fallout run with graphics like crysis

Holsety

Pretty sure that takes in the size and detail of the game. It'd be much harder to make a large open world game like fallout run with graphics like crysis
Pretty sure if your graphics rating counts anything but how pretty the game looks, you're doing it wrong.

Project_X

I am pretty excited on how Sonic Colors looks. I scoff at the name, but overall it looks cool!