• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

So ah…from reading the forum history I’m getting the impression that otherkin and therians aren’t really welcome here?

justenoughlight

It kinda feels like a lot of y’all don’t like us?
Idk but it’s a bit sad to see, as someone who is both a therian/otherkin and a furry.
So yeah idk just a little rant I guess not trying to guilt trip any of y’all but I just kinda wanted to get that off my chest I suppose

Idk but it’s a bit sad to see, as someone who is both a therian/otherkin and a furry.
So yeah idk just a little rant I guess not trying to guilt trip any of y’all but I just kinda wanted to get that off my chest I suppose
I don't know much about therian\otherkin but I definitely don't mind you.

Balskarr

The Lurking Hooman
While I personally find the concept dumb and quite often attention seeking? It's not something I'd exclude anyone from this place for. Not that I even have the power to do so even if I wanted to.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I think otherkin and therians are often convenient punching bags, sadly, and that furries will use therians and otherkin as a way of signalling their own comparative "normalcy." I reckon more furries could definitely stand to get to know more therians and otherkin to break down some of those stereotypes and misconceptions.

L

LameFox

I wouldn't think most people care that much, but otherkin (mostly?) has a kind of spiritual element to it that isn't really common to furries as a whole. When you're the true believer in a group of people who are mostly doing something for fun/entertainment I do think they often find it a bit silly.

That said, I've also known otherkin who considered it more of a psychological phenomenon.

ben909

vaporeon character != mushroom characters
wouldn't really say that, don't take thoughs on the idea in general as not being welcome, there are numerous things here we do that is "odd" and as long as its not a hyper focus you can get along, even if people disagree if it becomes a main focus

Inferndragon

Dragon Doodler with a Tail Snake
I'm on the autistic spectrum myself (Asperger's syndrome).
When i was younger I believed to be a Therian myself going through a ton of traumatic events (Being bullied for 12 years).
Trying to find reasons why things were happening and feeling like an outcast of society.
People making comments in games saying "you act animalistic" and so on...
Literally reinforcing the mentality myself.

Everyone's minds develop in different ways.
If we all had our minds wired the same.
It would be completely boring.
Nothing would be new. Creativity wouldn't able to strive.

Regardless. You are welcome in the forums :3

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥oteTastic
No..... I don't really see that, in all honesty. I've never heard of anyone feeling unwelcome because they subscribed to those belief systems.... (I dunno, perhaps I'm wrong) but..... in fact, I think it'd be quite the contrary..... as a community such as this is probably more welcoming to those sorts of folks (like yourself) than anywhere else.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
More in the direction of most people don't care if you are one or not. You do you.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat

A lot of people are confused by the idea of therian/otherkin, but I think we're relatively welcome here. I've been open about myself and came across no issues yet. Someone giving you troubles?

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
Well, I don't hate you. Not even a little bit. We don't know each other well enough for that.

I think some of the perceived "hate" may just be frustration over the assumption that all furries are therians. Although I haven't witnessed any hate directed toward therians, I have seen furries become defensive when others just assume that they are one. If you're both, then you're basically what most non-furries assume a furry is. And that's okay.

Also, as @Smityyyy said, there were times when this forum was quite toxic. Something to keep in mind when browsing old threads.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
gonna rough some people up?XD

<lol> More just curious, the poster seemed pretty down and felt harassed. Usually the admins are pretty on-top of any abuses so I was wondering if someone slipped through the cracks and was causing them needless troubles.

QueenSekhmet

A Nightmare Dressed Like A Daydream
<lol> More just curious, the poster seemed pretty down and felt harassed. Usually the admins are pretty on-top of any abuses so I was wondering if someone slipped through the cracks and was causing them needless troubles.
i don't think they have actually been harassed at all but i DO think that this thread is the result of another thread about otherkin and such and opinions were less than stellar on the subject.XD

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
Don't confuse a vocal minority as representing the majority. People who don't care won't say anything because what's there to say?

I'd hazard most people don't really have strong opinions because, generally, whether some rando on the internet wants to call themselves human or dragonkin basically has no bearing on one's life. It's a thing that exists, that's about it.

justenoughlight

A lot of people are confused by the idea of therian/otherkin, but I think we're relatively welcome here. I've been open about myself and came across no issues yet. Someone giving you troubles?
Not me specifically, just that when I went through some older threads quite a few people didn’t seem to have a very positive opinion on the topic is all.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
i don't think they have actually been harassed at all but i DO think that this thread is the result of another thread about otherkin and such and opinions were less than stellar on the subject.XD

AH, I get it now, and yes I think I remember that original thread from long ago. A few trolls took it over and spoiled the entire discussion to the point where nobody could really talk about their experiences at all. Even genuine questions were getting drowned out in the BS.

Not me specifically, just that when I went through some older threads quite a few people didn’t seem to have a very positive opinion on the topic is all.

Probably the one I was just talking about. Trust me, I found on these forums that despite what that thread said (at the time too, this is nowadays with some different people) most people seem to basically not really care in the slightest, or at worst don't understand and assume you're just a little weird with a shrug. But outright anger or harassment's? I don't think I've seen much over the years I've been here. Just the occasional idiot, but then everywhere has those, right?

Personally I never really had a problem understanding it or explaining it, but many people just can't wrap their head around it, or like others said, assume it's an act being done just for attention and not their real self. But then some people can't understand furries or fursuit wearers or gender-fluid people either, so no biggie.