• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

dhhdhshhh

Okay so this is a throwaway because I wanted to just get something clear, I enjoy creating OC’s i love making my own characters however they’re not me or represent me in any way, they’re a seperate character from myself, detached, i have multiple “”furry”” or “”anthro”” ocs, i don’t really care for the furry fandom and i don’t have any interests in having a fursuit bc as said my characters aren’t me I have no interest in being them. however companies like budsies interest me because it would be cool to have my OC’s in person? anyways. point being, would this by definition make me a furry? is just the idea of creating an oc for nothing besides the joy of creating one and having your own plushie design, make me a furry?

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I do art and I have a fursona.
However, I never rp my fursona. Really, my fursona is just for modding for art. I also have other anthropmorphic characters and I hang out in the fandom so I just call myself a furry. *Shrug.*
Its up to you, though.

pippi

Stinky Skunk
Furry is being a fan of anthro art, so technically yeah, if you like the art you're a furry.

Minerva_Minx

Explosion loving skooma cat
Furry is as furry does. Not like anyone will say you are when you aren't and aren't when you are. you decide for you if you're a furry or not. I am. I like the art, I have a fursona, don't have a fursuit, can't draw, and don't write much anthro stories. But still a furry, lol.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
You are if you want to be.

I mostly like to draw furries and look at other peoples' art. Although I do have a fursona, and I'm working on a fursuit of him, he doesn't presently appear in my online galleries. This avatar was drawn by me, but isn't my fursona.

Am I a furry? According to the definitions used by most furries, yes. I am a fan of anthropomorphic animals. According to the definitions often used by the mainstream media? No. There's too much room for misunderstanding. Even according to research on the subject, I'm somewhat of an outlier. As such, I don't refer to myself as one when dealing with normies.

Flumpor

Just because a lot of people in this community share interests like Fursuiting that doesn't mean you need to be interested in it. But hey, I would also be a non traditional Furry. I don't have a Fursona at the moment, I am currently making one as a personal challenge and goal since I want to learn how to draw cartoony. I really like anthro characters, specifically in comics and video games where the aesthetic really grabs me more so then in traditional arts. But because of this I wouldn't call myself a Furry since in Video Games an escapist fantasy I just don't like to play Humans. (If I can be anything, why a human, I already am one)
But I fall into this fandom as a fan of Furries, of the people and I do go to Meet-ups and conventions because of them. We have Furries here who are giant fans, but never have been to a Meet-up, I barely am one and went to a bunch. But here is the important thing, calling myself a Furry feels correct to me, maybe I am not in the traditional sense but I love the people I met, I felt welcome here (thanks some Leipzig Furs) and a lot of people seem open enough to be able to talk about things I just can't talk about in regular everyday live (kinks or fashion for example).

If you feel genuine disconnect between your characters and yourself and Roleplaying is the Hobby for you, then you don't have to label yourself as a Furry, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
Okay so this is a throwaway because I wanted to just get something clear, I enjoy creating OC’s i love making my own characters however they’re not me or represent me in any way, they’re a seperate character from myself, detached, i have multiple “”furry”” or “”anthro”” ocs, i don’t really care for the furry fandom and i don’t have any interests in having a fursuit bc as said my characters aren’t me I have no interest in being them. however companies like budsies interest me because it would be cool to have my OC’s in person? anyways. point being, would this by definition make me a furry? is just the idea of creating an oc for nothing besides the joy of creating one and having your own plushie design, make me a furry?
It sounds like you're just more of a "creative type" that enjoys making stuff. That doesn't make you a part of the Fandom, per say.. because as you said : "they’re not me or represent me in any way".

Most Furries believe that their Fursona's are a part of themselves, (both mentally and physically).. and thus, your own statements tell me that you probably aren't. If you simply enjoy creating stuff though - then there's nothing wrong with that, per say; but I'd probably label your interest to be more artistic based, as opposed to a more Fandom based one.

If you "don’t really care for the Furry Fandom" then there's no real reason for you to be a part of it.. unless you have financial interests in selling your artistic wares.

P

Picklepaige

Do you want to be? Then congrats, you are! Do you not want to be? Then congrats, you're not!

It's not an identity or a major life choice. It's a fandom. You can enjoy things and not be apart of the fandom. So, it's up to you!

zidders

It only applies to you if you want it to. It's something that has a lot of different aspects to it but what it comes down to is whether you feel it fits you or not. That said...

" i don’t really care for the furry fandom"

This is where your statement veers from being an innocent question from someone looking to know more about the community to it sounding like something else. Why don't you care for the furry fandom? Do you think it's something furries should be ashamed of being? Because from the sound of it you seem to be upset at the comparison and are looking to the community to help you be sure you're not part of it. While it's rude for others to label you there's nothing shameful about being a furry or being considered one coming here saying you don't care for us and asking us to validate that no, you are most certainly not one of those kinds of people is a little disrespectful (if not outright demeaning), don't you think?

At any rate while none of that makes you furry you do share a lot of common interests with people in the fandom. Is it really that terrible to be associated with the moniker? Because while being a furry isn't like being LGBTQIA not wanting to be associated with an entire group of people 'you don't care for' does sound a teensy bit phobic.

Nihles

Pet foxxo
Furry isn't an orientation or an identity, it's just acknowledging, "Hey, I think these animals are cute." Which activities associated with the fandom you choose to enjoy is completely up to you. Even if all you do is make memes and draw doodles for us to enjoy, we're happy to have ya.

On the other hand, if you don't like the label "furry" you can just say you like to draw cartoon animals for your...fuzzier friends.

LabyrinthMaster

Maze Designer // DDR-ITG Player
One of my french friends with who I spent my years of "Lycée" with is a fan of anthropomorphic characters and art. He used to like everything that furries like, but didn't like calling himself a furry.
For the longest time, he was just a fan of anthro art, not a furry and that's completely fine.

Liking something furries like or doing something they do doesn't make you a furry, people will think you're most likely to be one, but then it all comes to if you want to call yourself one or not.
You are not a furry if you don't want to be a furry.

WillRoss

So, I'm new here and it's because I think I may be a furry. Now, I'm an older guy, at least I think I am (I'm 39), and growing up I watched shows like Thundercats and stuff like that. Never thought anything of it, in junior high and high school I really got into the broadway show Cats, still didn't think anything of it. Then I got into anime and began noticing that I kinda had a thing for Neko's, sexually. Now, some of my personality traits that I had never really paid attention to before are things like I enjoy being petted and given head scritches and things like that. I even enjoy cuddling more than I do actual sex. I get excited when I see animals (not the sexual kind of excited, just really happy) and almost can't help myself wanting to give them pets and head scritches and all the loves. Now from what I understand, those are just some of the "traits" of being a furry. I guess what I'm getting at is since I think I may be a furry, how do I get in touch with the furry community in my area? I really don't know anyone personally who could help me.