• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Beatle9

Asexual coywolf and amateur writer.
I know this is more common when talking about movies, but I was wondering if anyone has played any bad games that they consider "so bad they're good".

One I can definitely think of is an often overlooked game called Raw Danger, also known as Disaster Report 2. I remember playing the first Disaster Report, and remember it being decent enough, the animations weren't that good, but it pulled off a cool idea of surviving and getting off a slowly sinking island, and had an interesting, if not a little cheesy story. The sequel though, oh boy. First off, look at this cover!

tumblr_orvqr2uKXD1uv3hlzo1_1280.jpg

I think it speaks for itself.

The best way I can describe the game itself is it's like the first draft of the PS3 game Heavy Rain.
The game's basic plot is that this manmade "Underground City" is flooding, because I guess they didn't prepare for that type of disaster very well, and you play as 5 characters (6 if you make the right series of choices), and you need to help them survive by the end of the game.

All the characters in this game move like freaking animatronics at a bad theme park. The voice acting is pretty wooden too, with one character not having any voiceover at all, despite having subtitles in cutscenes, with the exception of an over the top scream when he dies. It's not quite the level of the original Resident Evil, but it's pretty bad.

Also this game has villains (yeah the disaster isn't the villain in this), and their motivations make no sense! The main one wants to release this deadly disease throughout the city, even though the entire city is underwater at this point, so it's kind of pointless.

This game has choices that affect the plot and other characters, but some of them are freaking ridiculous, while most are the generic "Choose this for good", "Choose this for asshole" choices. At one point when one of the partner characters is knocked unconscious, you have the choices of "Shake her", "Slap her", or "SNIFF HER!" I shit you not, that's an actual choice you can make!

I think my favorite parts are when the game tries to have "moments", like when you fall off an overpass with this chef character, who has no name by the way, they try and give him an emotional final moment. He tells you not to worry about him, then randomly pulls out a photo and says "I should have spent more time with my son." before coughing ridiculously, but just lying there still while he's coughing, like he died, and his cough was late coming out of his mouth.
There's honestly too much wrong with this game for me to list, go ahead and search for it on YouTube, there's countless gameplay videos.

I think the main reason that I consider this "So bad it's good" is because the game itself isn't broken, the gameplay functions alright, and there's no real glitches, but the story and everything else are just awful, but not insultingly awful. I really need to go back and play this again.

So, do any of you have any games that you consider "So bad, it's good", I'd love to hear about some of them.

Nixonia

Hi! I'm irritating!
Road Rash 64!

Where the bikes are too slow or too fast, the AI is abysmal and crashes themselves all the time, and it can be buggy as heck for no reason.

Bonus!
Damnation - PS3/X360/Windows

Where to start with this one. Just.....just YouTube the opening cutscene. It's that.....the entire way through. But! Play co-op with a friend, and you will die laughing at the janky animations, ability to have spiderbikes, and the WAY TOO OP grappling hook (seriously, you can hook yourself out of the level in some missions)

Those are my recommendations!

~Nix

kidchameleon

Obsessed With Shapes & Colours
I think Sonic R might qualify, depending on your standards. I love it to pieces, but the general consensus of my friends was always that they only humored me with it because it fell into this category. Sonic the Hedgehog ('06) probably counts too actually. It's an absolute mess of a game, but there are glimpses of better things and if you take the glitches as a "challenge" it can be pretty of fun XD Lux-Pain is also "helped" somewhat by the lameness of it's translation. It's so bad that it makes the game an oddity, whereas had the translation been better it probably would have just been forgettable.

Beatle9

Postal 2....did i have to add something? :)
Nah, I only went into detail cause not a lot of people have heard of mine. You can just leave it at the title if you want.

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
This isn't exactly a real video game(it's a parody game and it's online) but playing Supra Mayro Kratt is kinda a guilty pleasure of mine. It's really bad and broken but it's still fun for some reason. And the models looks so funny. It's great.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Something of a legend around Eastern Europe gamers, but an obscurity everywhere else, is a little Russian fighting gem called "Месть Боксёра" (Boxer's Revenge). From gameplay standpoint, it's nothing really special, just one poorly executed 1v1 brawler with barely any strategy to it. But in terms of plot, oh boy...

You play as "non-guilty" (according to plot, at least) ex-boxer prisoner who runs out of prison through an open window (yeah), but not before beating a police officer to a pulp, along with some random inmate. Then he goes hitchiking, but since driver of the stopped truck happened to be rude, our brave protagonist knocks the poor guy out too. After getting to the city (presumably on a stolen truck), he beats up some random biker who happened to bump into him, and then procedes to solve a problem with a clingy prostitute that tries to scam the money out of him (by, you guessed it, beating the living hell out of her). After all that he tries to take a bus ride, but since his travel card is outdated, he gets kicked out of the bus, so he decides to take a wise decision and walk to his destination on his two... just kidding, of course he beats the crap out of bus conductor. After arguably murdering every possible person in his way, he finally walks into a place where lives the angry slav dude who set him up for prison, and beats him up too. That somehow initiates second trial, where angry slav dude is found guilty, and protagonist returns to boxing, where he can do what he does the best in his life.

All that nonsense is displayed through poorly drawn cutscenes along with cheesy toughguy voice acting, which makes for a true comedy gold, even if you don't know the language. Seriously, this game is amazing in its shitiness.

Beatle9

256px-Michigan.jpg

Everyone should play this piece of art at least for Brisco.
YES! I want to play that train wreck so bad, but I can't find it anywhere, at least for a price I'm willing to pay.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
256px-Michigan.jpg

Everyone should play this piece of art at least for Brisco.
Wouldn't call it bad, though. It's kinda dumb at times, and definitely weird too, but also pretty damn creative and ingenious. Not really "so bad it's good" (it's objectively pretty playable, after all) as much as "So weird, it's awesome" c:

Cowmatian

The bible game for gba. My curiosity got the best of me at a garage sale. It's hilariously bad. I thought maybe my lack of religiosity was the reason for my opinion, but my religious aunt confirmed its terrible-ness. That said, I found it fun to play through a little bit, killing here-tics and the like. They made that pun, don't blame me for it :p

draqen

I think Sonic R might qualify, depending on your standards. I love it to pieces, but the general consensus of my friends was always that they only humored me with it because it fell into this category. Sonic the Hedgehog ('06) probably counts too actually. It's an absolute mess of a game, but there are glimpses of better things and if you take the glitches as a "challenge" it can be pretty of fun XD Lux-Pain is also "helped" somewhat by the lameness of it's translation. It's so bad that it makes the game an oddity, whereas had the translation been better it probably would have just been forgettable.

As cringey as Sonic R is, gotta love how upbeat and cheery all the songs are xD.

But I definitely think Goat Simulator is a good fit. It's like it's made to be bad on purpose, and it's hilarious.

Impulse-8

That one guy.
"Alone in the Dark" (2008) is definitely in the category of "so bad its good".

It's an inconsistent rollercoaster of ridiculous voice acting, over-the-top story scenes, nonsensical plot, and very unrefined gameplay that had good ideas in concept (Real-time inventory management, closing your eyes to see enemy weak points, physics puzzles, a mixture of melee and firearm combat in which the only way to kill enemies was with objects on fire or fire bullets), but messy execution.

One of the best lines in the game occurs during one of the endings:
"I'm the light bringer!
I'm the FUCKING UNIVERSE!"

Lexiand

Werewolf a Tophat
I'm kinda waiting for someone to talk about bad rats

real time strategist

"What's an airport, again?"

It's an inconsistent rollercoaster of ridiculous voice acting, over-the-top story scenes, nonsensical plot, and very unrefined gameplay that had good ideas in concept (Real-time inventory management, closing your eyes to see enemy weak points, physics puzzles, a mixture of melee and firearm combat in which the only way to kill enemies was with objects on fire or fire bullets), but messy execution.

"I'm the light bringer!
"I don't have your stone! And fuck you anyway!"

F

FluffyShutterbug

DRIV3R is a game choc-full of glitches that can only be seen to believe. Some of them are pretty awesome, tbh. :3

Beatle9

"I'm the light bringer!
Oh God, I couldn't get through that train wreck. I tried playing the version on PS2, and gave up about 15 minutes in, and returned it to GameStop.