• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

So..Characters who are actual breeds.

Raspberry

Potatoes.
This is referring to domestic animals. Dogs, cats, etc.

I can't say it's common to see characters who are breeds. The most I see are Border Collies or Huskies.

I've never got this. Maybe in furry animal societies people don't care about breeds much so everyone's mixed? Then where did breeds come from? Then again furry genetics is often confusing.

Volkodav

Dad****er
Huh???
There are more often purebreds than there are mixed, ahah
Huskies, GSD, Lab, Malamute, Border Collie, Pit Bull, these are the most common dog breeds in the furry community.
Most common cats are probably just your average Domestic Shorthair and Oriental breeds.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Yeah mang I see hundreds of breeds. Huskies must be the most popular, but one of my favorite dog-furs is a English Bull Terrier. (Also my favorite dog breed).

Nashida

She do a blep
I've seen quite a few breeds. Sure huskies and GSDs are the most popular dog breeds, and cats it can be hard to tell who's what. But I've seen a Pomeranian, a couple chihuahuas, several dobermans, and a pit bull. I've never figured out what breed Coopertom is supposed to be, but Tso is Siamese, and I think Flo is a tabby.

Kagisnad

To be honest, what with the high customization, I don't think we can always associate breeds, and there aren't very evident differences between breeds in most cases. I don't think breeds should matter as much as the design itself, which can pull elements from all sorts of breeds.

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
My sister had (has?) one that's specifically a Norwegian forest cat.

I suppose it depends a lot on whether or not people even care about specific breeds. Personally speaking, I'm really not one of those people. It limits ideas.

I guess it might bare some kind of importance if you're trying to make a highly realistic fursona or fictional world, but most people don't care about that kind of shit when making their fursonas.

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
If we're talking about certain breeds, I wonder if anyone has a dachshund fursona. I could imagine the hilarity.

LadyToorima

Nyaa nyaa~
There are fursonas for just about everything. I have seen plenty of cats and a bunch of dogs, birds, rabbits, things like that.

S

Sar

I've never got this. Maybe in furry animal societies people don't care about breeds much so everyone's mixed? Then where did breeds come from? Then again furry genetics is often confusing.

Aren't breeds the Furry equivalent of Ethnic Origins? You are over thinking this all way too much.

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
^ Thats really cute.

Demensa

Characterless sack of potatoes
Yeah, as said earlier, there's plenty of people who have characters of a specific breed and plenty of people who don't care or disregard the idea of breeds being relevant to their fictional characters.

Kind-of-but-not-really off topic, I've seen a few corgi fursonas that have made me chuckle.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
I've seen tabbys, maine coons, dobermans, shepards, chowchows, papillions. so ..yeah

Nataku

Shapeshifting alien dragon
Some people have specifics, some people get no more particular than it being 'canine'.
I have multiple characters which I write stories about, several are canines with specified breeds. I have a saluki, a malamute and an irish setter. Then I have some others which aren't a single breed, but by body style are classified into certain groups. One is a spaniel of some kind, probably closest to a springer spaniel. One is a eastern spitz mix of some kind or other, an admixture of shiba inu, akita, etc. Another is a shepherd of some variety or other, though I've never pinned down if she's a GSD, malinois, tervuren or some mix thereof. There's also a couple characters in the mix which were never any particular breed, just some form of canine. I also have a character which is a tiangou - its not a breed per say, but a mythical type of dog which supposedly ate the sun and sometimes fell from the sky trailing its long tail behind it (ie a comet).

Percithecatdog

using the blood of my enemies
If we're talking about certain breeds, I wonder if anyone has a dachshund fursona. I could imagine the hilarity.
My best friends sona is a Dachshund

Wither

Is honestly confused by life.
My secondary fagsona, or as I like to call it - my birdfag ohmigawshcute simpleasfuck sona, is a Monk Parakeet a.k.a. Quaker Parrot.
I also have a in-progress-character that's a derpy Cocker Spaniel. She's just a fun character to play around with in writing so she wouldn't really count as a fagsona.

Umbra.Exe

Revolver Snocelot
Don't forget corgis and pit bulls! I've seen a couple of Shiba Inu, I think some kind of spaniel, and a Saluki as well. I've also seen a Doberman Pinscher around.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Are you trying to figure out furry characters' genetic history?That is rather stupid because every character is made up