• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

So FA is 10 years old...ever going to update the site?

i don't believe in teasers like this. it's been a teaser for a while. until it's been put into effect and actually, yanno, works.. without breaking.. and actually has the features we want/ask for instead of some stupid fluffy frills somewhere else, i'm not buying it.

PheagleAdler

Don't buy it, then you'll be more surprised when something happens. I don't care.

PheagleAdler

Forget about HL3, OP, Duke Nukem Forever came out before any site overhauls.

Thinks about that for a sec.

Why should I care? Video games aren't websites.

ONEintheinfinite

In an infinite
I would lovev a name change option.

I'm trying to put a bigger divide between my sfw and nsfw stuff and i don't want to lose the 295 followers i have on fa. I know it aint much but these guys help me pay my bills.

TheArchiver

Ace Documenter
Well.

Both Piche and the official FurAffinity Twitter claimed a substantial UI update within a generous 30 days. Again. The launch date would be no later than February 22nd of both of those announcements. Please tell me otherwise. It is now February 23rd. There is no update nor a reason why. Not to anyone's surprise. Plenty of time to draw on one's feet, but not live up to expectations.

We can just add this to the ever growing plethora of unfulfilled promises.

StarrySpelunker

Fully Certified Lurker
Like everyone else here I'm hoping they are real but then again...project phoenix.

Until changes are implemented I am assuming they are just pretty drawn-up mock-ups.

Aidy

they call me yolo swaggins
i'm still waiting on the performance boosts that FA promised us before any of the promises of a new ui, which is still a few years late

the day fa delivers on a promise and it actually works will be the day hell freezes over like 5 times consecutively

PheagleAdler

Well.

Both Piche and the official FurAffinity Twitter claimed a substantial UI update within a generous 30 days. Again. The launch date would be no later than February 22nd of both of those announcements. Please tell me otherwise. It is now February 23rd. There is no update nor a reason why. Not to anyone's surprise. Plenty of time to draw on one's feet, but not live up to expectations.

We can just add this to the ever growing plethora of unfulfilled promises.

He's shown previews already, should be happening soon.

L

LizardKing

He's shown previews already, should be happening soon.

It's really not necessary to defend the site at every possible opportunity, especially when you're adding literally zero content to the discussion. We know about the "previews", and we know it "should" be soon (already here, in fact). There's no need to repeat it.

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
https://twitter.com/Dragoneer/status/569937726310649856/photo/1 :33

Also Yak's HDD died (see neer's twitter) so he couldn't deploy the alpha/beta/whatever as intended yesterday, but it gives us an opportunity to work on a few other things like the above. :)

Im looking forward to whatever may come :D
Tapatalk or a better mobile site would be cool too.
We're focused on tweaking the UI to look awesome on desktop first, but mobile is quite high on the priority list too.

Like everyone else here I'm hoping they are real but then again...project phoenix.

Until changes are implemented I am assuming they are just pretty drawn-up mock-ups.
These are not drawn up mock-ups. They are live on Yak's and Neer's development "areas" (excuse me for not being too technical) of the site. Currently still undergoing more tweaks and testing while Yak gets his stuff sorted.

i'm still waiting on the performance boosts that FA promised us before any of the promises of a new ui, which is still a few years late

the day fa delivers on a promise and it actually works will be the day hell freezes over like 5 times consecutively
You can monitor FA's performance and uptime here - http://status.furaffinity.net/169836/2015/02

We currently have an average (html) response rate of 357 milliseconds. To put that in perspective, here are some test results comparing FA to various big name sites, with a few other art/furry sites thrown in:

FA - http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.furaffinity.net/j0M57Ddg
Youtube - http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.youtube.com/uWEwrEsA - Scored lower than FA
Reddit - http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.reddit.com/WNI3Mixb - Scored higher than FA
Weasyl - http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.weasyl.com/TUfxzbfD - Lower than FA edit: I linked a different weasyl site <.< >.> Edited with correct URL, still lower than FA.
dA - http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.deviantart.com/BbvJRn3P - Did terribly, way lower than FA and others in this list
BBC - http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.bbc.co.uk/Gk283cZ9 - Lower than FA

Feel free to find other sites faster than FA, and feel free to look through the statistics histories of these sites. These scores were taken at the times listed at the top of the page and from (for some reason) Vancouver, Canada using firefox.

Last edited:
yaaay~ more excuses.
also... editable comments? really? that's their big wow? out of us begging for so much more/other things?

also, i think your website lies. the one that talks about % of uptime and other things. it said for Dec. of 2013 it was a 99.16% uptime. did it just magically forget that for a minimum of 2 weeks (though i think it was actually closer to 3), the site was completely down and unreachable? or does it count 'uptime' as something completely different than the site being up, running, and useable?

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
yaaay~ more excuses.
also... editable comments? really? that's their big wow? out of us begging for so much more/other things?

also, i think your website lies. the one that talks about % of uptime and other things. it said for Dec. of 2013 it was a 99.16% uptime. did it just magically forget that for a minimum of 2 weeks (though i think it was actually closer to 3), the site was completely down and unreachable? or does it count 'uptime' as something completely different than the site being up, running, and useable?
We use pingdom as our 3rd party stats tracker. I do not know what pingdom constitutes as being "downtime". I do not know enough about this topic to provide a satisfactory answer, I'm afraid.

I will note however that stats tracking for FA's CDN (content delivery network) was only added in November 2014, and the FA main results for html request time for that peroid of of time (dec 2013) was occasionally upwards of 2 seconds (2000 milliseconds, as compared to our current 357). This is just for the html code. You can also see it dropping in and out over the course of those few weeks, going down multiple times a day.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
yaaay~ more excuses.
The UI was actually intended (and originally) supposed to have been done last August/September as part of the Summer Updates. Clearly, things failed and went sour with that. It reached a really bad peak, and pretty much everything both in my personal and professional life were put on backburner to my job. Yes, it's a poor excuse, but life unfortunately got the better of me and a lot of things fell by the wayside.

Now, with things as they currently are, my days are spent fixing and improving FA across the board. Yes, I admit, we're playing a bit of catchup and there's a lot of things on the plate to contend with. Editable Comments are NOT the wow-factor, but a part of the larger equation.

The UI improvements are going to be rolled out in stages.

Making the site faster, improve performance and end-user experience. Performance is the primary issue for a lot of people, and improving reliability and accessibility is where we start. To that end, we've purchased roughly $8,000 worth of new server gear to roll out a new storage/file system to allow FA to support larger uploads and more robust content. We will be adding another storage server (mirroring the first) to compliment the system as we also work to phase out older.

As part of this, we will also be focusing on core improvements to the UI. A better note system (not perfect, but better), editable comments and lots of tiny, little fixes that make life better all around.

After that, we focus on mobility. Making FA work better and more reliably on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. I'm already working on this part of the phase, and some of it is going to leak over into the beta.

As for the question why does it say "$Gender $Country"? Because those are to be added in. Enhancing user profiles is a priority, and giving users more ability to tweak and improve their profiles is high on my list. No, it's not perfect, and yes, there are many, MANY more improvements which need to be done along the way.

Delays and unforeseen circumstances (some good, some bad) have really crept up in the way of this project, but I'm dead set on getting something out which will be better.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
If we're getting editable comments I hope we're also getting the option to disable comments on submissions.
This is on the list of things to implement, yes. The beta needs a bunch of tweaking, but giving users the ability to disable comments is one oft requested and towards the top of the list.