• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

So George R.R. Martin is a pretty cool guy

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
hiss

Haters...

Ayattar

Banned
Banned
Not haters - bookworms with critical approach. My main fandom is sci-fi/fantasy, literature section, into furdom I came by chance :p

Besides... books are my life. Just let me count amount of pages I read last week (both professional literature and entertainment, and look like it was 50/50). Yep, 5200.

Last edited:

tisr

I exist perhaps
I'm not a hater, I just never really understood the young adult fantasy fiction craze. Never really been my thing, and the same for all the fandoms in all other series as well. Though I haven't read/watched Game of Thrones before so if you can convince me I'll take a look.

Ayattar

Banned
Banned
Nah, it's best to begin your great journey with fantasy with something classy. Earthsea cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin or Foundation series by Isaac Asimov are great for starters. Great language, interesting story, not too long, so action and/or narration are not slowing down like in Song of Fire and Ice (so called Game of Trones :p) series, and they're also world classics. Not to mention how innovative they were by their times, and how they inspired new trends in the fantasy.

Last edited:

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
I've listened to a Nerdist interview with R R Martin and he seems like a really cool dude. Big fan of his work, even if his writing process is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

I'm not a hater, I just never really understood the young adult fantasy fiction craze. Never really been my thing, and the same for all the fandoms in all other series as well. Though I haven't read/watched Game of Thrones before so if you can convince me I'll take a look.

GoT isn't young adult fantasy.

There, does that help? :rolleyes:

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
I don't watch GoT. It's not that I don't like it or anything, I just never bothered to watch it.

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
Baby murder, disembowelment, rapes and more rapes, disfigurement, incest, dismemberment, BOOBS, more gore, shaggin, more shaggin, pushing kids outta windows, people dropping like flies, dragons, MOTHER FUCKING DIREWOLVES, and zombies...

Yeah totally intended for the young.

Machine

Shrieking Possum Queen
Baby murder, disembowelment, rapes and more rapes, disfigurement, incest, dismemberment, BOOBS, more gore, shaggin, more shaggin, pushing kids outta windows, people dropping like flies, dragons, MOTHER FUCKING DIREWOLVES, and zombies...

I need to pick up these books.

This sounds like the most metal story ever.

You forgot all of the flaying in the later books. D:

Kangamutt

Then throw in all the convoluted politics, that there is almost no clear-cut bad person or good person, and almost everybody has a hidden motive. Because kids totally get that stuff. :V

Also, about half your list alone is a Dothraki wedding. :p

I need to pick up these books.

This sounds like the most metal story ever.

It's all done in wonderful detail. The food, the sex, the murdering.

Last edited:

Esper Husky

Absolutely love this series thus far; I wish I were more of a reader, but at the same time, now I don't wanna spoil anything for myself, since they are just about caught up.

> Well, not exactly; this season will end Book 3, and I guess there are already two more after it, but still. <

It's really interesting, that sometimes "something" happens, and I didn't realize how much I actually cared about or liked a character until they are gone.

Also, I really wanna give major thanks to the posters in this thread for covering spoilers. My friend keeps teasing that we will have much to talk about when this season ends.

I've noticed that "Episode 9" of each season is usually incredibly heavy stuff -- but the last episode (8) was just as relevant to that definition for me, I'm shocked that supposedly the real moments of the end of said book are gonna be Episode 9 and 10 (season finale).

Sharing of history: I never thought I'd watch this show / get into this show, 'cause I don't watch television, don't download stuffs, etc... but then, the whole internet reaction to "The Red Wedding" piqued my interest, and I watched like five minutes of that scene. It was pseudo spoilers, I basically had absolutely no context, and by the time I did start watching the show, I completely forgot who the hell was in that scene. So when it finally started, my hands immediately came to my face and I was just like "oh, god, no, please, no."

( Though none of my absolute favorites were in that scene... one of them just clocked out, though. :'( )

Hello. My name is Oberyn Martell. You killed my sister. Prepare to die.

Anyway, I just find it so interesting with how much is going on, and the direction certain plots take -- my only grief is that, just some portions feel so far removed at the same time, that I'm basically waiting for it to matter, moreso than waiting for it to happen. But I imagine it will all come together soon enough... bwahaha!

Also, I really wanna give major thanks to the posters in this thread for covering spoilers.

No problem! I don't get why people spam spoilers on Youtube comments etc. When the final Harry Potter book was released, I just straight up didn't use the internet at all until I had finished it. x3

Kangamutt

Sharing of history: I never thought I'd watch this show / get into this show, 'cause I don't watch television, don't download stuffs, etc... but then, the whole internet reaction to "The Red Wedding" piqued my interest, and I watched like five minutes of that scene. It was pseudo spoilers, I basically had absolutely no context, and by the time I did start watching the show, I completely forgot who the hell was in that scene. So when it finally started, my hands immediately came to my face and I was just like "oh, god, no, please, no."

The Red Wedding was fucking intense. I stopped reading for a month or so. A friend of mine threw the book in grief, and I've heard stories of people breaking Kindles. If you're getting reactions like that, you must be doing something right.

Hello. My name is Oberyn Martell. You killed my sister. Prepare to die.

I got around to watching that clip last night, and I made that exact same comparison! Except instead of being funny, it was tense as fuck.

Anyway, I just find it so interesting with how much is going on, and the direction certain plots take -- my only grief is that, just some portions feel so far removed at the same time, that I'm basically waiting for it to matter, moreso than waiting for it to happen. But I imagine it will all come together soon enough... bwahaha!

Just you wait. The next season is a combination of books 4 and 5, which both happen at the same time, each book simply focusing on specific characters, so you are in for some things that M. Night Shymalan and the Spanish Inquisition wouldn't expect. (and nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!)

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
Yeah you really gotta watch Game of Thrones, it's great
also Jon Snow is hot

Not as sexy as Robb Stark though.

I like Martin for the most part, although sometimes I really question why he drags shit out the way he does. (The Wall will melt before Dany gets to it, I swear.) Lady Olenna is the best character imo. So funny and cunning.