• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

So, how about that Flappy Bird?

KOfoxing

Breakfast Club Honorary Member
I have been playing the notorious Flappy Bird game for about 2 weeks. It's a gem of a game. I just got a high score of 150. Yay! When I compare my scores with other people, I'm pretty much treated like a god. WHY? Is this game really that difficult to the majority of people that play it?

Anyway, what's your high score?
How do you feel about it being deleted from the App Store?
Are you planning to get rid of it too?
Are you frustrated with this game?

Most importantly, did you or did you ever break your device while playing this game?

Kalmor

Banned
Banned

The (lone) developer is well within his rights to do so, and I don't blame him. He never expected it to blow up like this, he even said on twitter that he hates the game himself and the amount of abuse thrown at him from angry gamers got to him. Some people just aren't built to "deal" with that kind of abuse. If he wants a simple life (like he said on twitter), then let him have it.

Nah

99% of the time.

Most importantly, did you or did you ever break your device while playing this game?
No, and it's not worth paying the price of another tab 3 if I did.

Last edited:

Jashwa

I feel really bad for the developer and all the spotlight being put on him that he doesn't want.

KOfoxing

Breakfast Club Honorary Member
Such a simple game, I would be surprised too if I receive that kind of notoriety. Hell, i would hate it! I wonder how much time was spent on creating such a brilliant piece. Like composing "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star".
It's horrible that a mob of angry gamers would put the heat on a mini game. I mean, I just got 37 the first few minutes I played. I compared scores with a couple of my buddies, then I heard, "Man, you are a freak!" My goodness, I really never knew it was that staggering to people! As a person who hit the hundred mark, I question the difficulty of this game. What makes it so hard? Honestly, I'm a man with zero patience, and I have a few smashed controllers on my shelf currently.
Timing.
Rhythm.
Eye coordination.
Done. (That's all there is to it folks!)

Last edited:

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
I wonder how much time was spent on creating such a brilliant piece.

Apparently he wrote it in three days during his free time after work :p
So maybe 15 or so hours of work, $50.000 a day. I dunno about you guys but that sounds like an awesome deal!

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
My high score's like 12 or something.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
My sister is really into it, last week when I saw her at the family dinner she was trying to get everyone to play it. It's like... wow if you think that's a good game go play Robot Unicorn or something

Jags

Shepherd of Fire
25. It's the most irritating game I have ever played, I reckon. Annoyingly addictive too...

Catilda Lily

May all your bacon burn.
I've never played it, hadn't even heard of it until a few days ago.

PastryOfApathy

idk, 9 or something. Only played it for 3 minutes.

Completely indifferent. It's like Angry Birds, it's a concept that's been done better by a million other people. Although I guess it's nice that people can shut up about it now.

I don't have a phone, played it online so no I guess.

Not especially. It's far, far, far from the most frustrating game I've ever played. At least it won't become another Angry Birds where I'm forced to make sense of its inexplicable popularity.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
From something I got in e-mail:

-"Flappy Bird Was Taken Down by its Creator... and Now the Clones are Taking Over. Mobile Gaming is Shameless.". No, really? /sarcasm

Falafox

Chaotic Neutral
I go to vacations for 2 weeks and as soon as I leave. DRAMADRAMADRAMA.

Now I want to play the game...

RedDagger

From something I got in e-mail:

-"Flappy Bird Was Taken Down by its Creator... and Now the Clones are Taking Over. Mobile Gaming is Shameless.". No, really? /sarcasm

Who'd have thought mobile gaming was shameless, huh? It really took something like flappy bird to show just how shameless it was, no-one knew that beforehand. Nope.

I'm indifferent about it being taken down. It's told us what we already knew: some people are jackasses (death threats), people get addicted easily to simple concepts, mobile gaming success is not comparable in any way to how good the game is, and cloning is a problem on mobile games.
Seriously, there's a game on there which is exactly like flappy bird - hold on, this one specifically out of the dozens already - and uses the red angry bird as the bird. It even has a starting cutscene with a 'naughty dragon' flying off with the bird's egg. Yup. Nothing like angry birds/flappy birds. At all.

Jashwa

Who are the million people that have done angry birds better? Because Angry Birds is pretty legit for what it is.

Falafox

Chaotic Neutral
And receiving death threats.

Why is that so? Is because too hard? Because if it is that , I will write a special letter to the Dark Souls creators.

Pepe le Chew

nenenenenene~
Hey, at least you scored higher than the Broncos.

Oof. ;)

Honestly, I love Flappy Bird. It's aggravating as anything, but my friend and I have a good competition going. It's a shame the developer took it down, IMHO. As is the case with anything popular, remember that for as many people who were complaining (and throwing threats) there were tons more who actively enjoyed the game despite their frustrations. I cannot help but to think there was a better way to handle this than pulling the game all together, but I digress: this is his game, no other. If that's his intention, who am I to disagree?

Ironically, by pulling it, I'm of the mind to say it's no longer "just a game". I wonder if some people are actively downloading it as of now just to see what the fuss was about? (It may no longer be available on the web stores, but I'm sure there are some copies laying around on a few other websites..)

Last edited:

RedDagger

As is the case with anything popular, remember that for as many people who were complaining (and throwing threats) there were tons more who actively enjoyed the game despite their frustrations. I cannot help but to think there was a better way to handle this than pulling the game all together...

This person was just some small vietnamese student; under the pressure of the threats, the popularity, the people complaining about the game, the people saying they were addicted, the huge amounts of discussion and money involved...he only saw the negative stuff, and didn't handle it as a larger dev would or someone under a publisher.

But as you said, he can do what he wants; the biggest shame I've seen of all this is the misinformation, bad reporting, and how people don't properly understand the situation. For example, there are lots of people really annoyed at the $50k a day quote; despite the fact that this comes from Verge who interviewed the dev himself. Or the idea that's still held by people that it's because of a copyright claim by nintendo because of the pipes. Or all those bids on Ebay being taken as serious by tabloids, and so on.
Not as if journalism hadn't already shown itself to be pretty shite anyway, but hey.