• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

So... I ran over my phone with the car today.

SparkyWolf

It's a bit of a long story, but in short I ran my HTC one M8 with the car. I think that it fell out of my pocket when I got in, and when I backed out I ran it over. After I backed out I looked back at the house to see if I had remembered to close the garage door and saw it laying in driveway. Amazingly, when I got out to inspect the damage, I found that all that was wrong with it was a cracked screen. It works perfectly! From what I read, the car that I ran it over with (2014 Acura MDX) weights in at a hefty 4,332 LBS (1,960 some odd kilos) and it still suffered little damage. I know that it was lying screen up, so the screen wasn't driven into the pavement by the weight of the car. I'm going to t-moble tomorrow to get a new one with no broken glass, but I'm not forced to. Just amazing. Here's some pics of it now:
tumblr_nigr7mRlFI1u57g2qo2_1280.png
tumblr_nigr7mRlFI1u57g2qo3_1280.png

shteev

Lol how do I delete this account
Are you replacing the whole phone or just the glass?

If it's just the whole phone: inspect the body for warping/bending. Aluminum is a malleable metal and, being that the device is rounded, I wouldn't be surprised if it got a little flattened under the weight.

If you're just replacing the whole phone, then no biggie :)

SparkyWolf

Are you replacing the whole phone or just the glass?

If it's just the whole phone: inspect the body for warping/bending. Aluminum is a malleable metal and, being that the device is rounded, I wouldn't be surprised if it got a little flattened under the weight.

If you're just replacing the whole phone, then no biggie :)

The whole phone. But I looked at the back and amazingly there's no bending or deformation. I have no doubt I hit it though, because I felt it go under the tire but at the time, I thought that it was a chunk of ice.

MaximizedNOVA

YoungClaw The Bright
Wow, that's pretty good that the phone held up 2~ tons, only out with a cracked screen. Lets hope your insurance covers the replacement.

Teckolf

Drank ALL the Coffee!!!
Well lets remember that the only one wheel went over it and that most modern cars have no worse than a 60/40 weight distribution. That means that at absolute worst you had 1200 lbs on the phone. Not to mention that the tire on the face of the phone distributed that load across the entire face which greatly reduced the amount of pressure on any one point of the phone.

With that being said still pretty strong. I am so clumsy that I break a phone every year or so. Which is why I am still rocking old school dumb phones...

SparkyWolf

Man.. What a waste.
Wait... how old are you again?
Did your parents bought you those?

I'm 16. The phone I paid for, and the car Is my mom's but I didn't hurt it so there's no problem there. Anyways, I have a protection plan on the phone so it won't cost me anything.

Well lets remember that the only one wheel went over it and that most modern cars have no worse than a 60/40 weight distribution. That means that at absolute worst you had 1200 lbs on the phone. Not to mention that the tire on the face of the phone distributed that load across the entire face which greatly reduced the amount of pressure on any one point of the phone.

With that being said still pretty strong. I am so clumsy that I break a phone every year or so. Which is why I am still rocking old school dumb phones...

I thought of that too. I'm sure that's why the phone survived.

Crazypaws

{Something creative}
Lol just be thankful that its not a Droid Razr otherwise you would have to get a new tire too. :grin:

shteev

Lol how do I delete this account
Lol just be thankful that its not a Droid Razr otherwise you would have to get a new tire too. :grin:

HAH!

and maybe a whole new set, depending on the remaining tread depth on the rest of the tires. AWD systems are finicky like that

Kazolas

Reminds me of the time my brother ran over my leg with his car. Luckily nothing cracked and I didn't have to go get a new one.

Ayattar

Banned
Banned
That's because of how the pressure works. Pressure under the elephant's feet is smaller than under the heel of the high-heels. Same goes for tank's tracks or trucks (this is one of the reasons why they have so many wheels). Et cetera.

So actually I'm not really that surprised.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
I'm not surprised as well. A car is heavy, but the load is being distributed equally on each tire.
Unlike most other phones the M8 also has a full metal case. A Samsung phone might have been completely crushed, an HTC has higher chances to survive.
I mean, you don't lose a foot of someone drives over it as well. Chances are you wouldn't even break a bone.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Aren't you two just sticks in the mud?

You can be realistic and still enjoy life. You know that, right?
It's still amazing that we can built phones that sort of survive this kind of punishment, but in this case it just really isn't too surprising :p