• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

(Solved) Name/watermarks???

DireWolfJ4

Thanos Bear But i'm clearly a folf
So i made some art that i was gonna post on furaffinity or on here and i was scared that if i didnt put my user or name or whatever on it, people could steal my work because well it has no ones name on it. Is a watermark or user/name really needed???

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Its not, but it's advised.
I always incorporate my signature into all my artwork, usually in a place where it cannot be removed and it's by the focal point.

Bluefiremark II

Magic Blue Phoenix
So i made some art that i was gonna post on furaffinity or on here and i was scared that if i didnt put my user or name or whatever on it, people could steal my work because well it has no ones name on it. Is a watermark or user/name really needed???
No they aren't needed. It's just a choice of whether or not you think you want it to be safer from theft. Which it is unlikely to happen but if you want to make sure you can always add one. Nothing required of them though

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
This is a good example btw-
It's just part of my style/part of the piece. It would be really hard for someone to edit it out.

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
TBH, I'm not sure watermarks/signatures really deter theft that much. Editing tools being what they are, if someone wants the watermark gone it'll be gone. Hate to say it Percy, I could have that gone in 10 minutes or less, depending on how subtle I wanted it to be (I assume it's the giant "B"). However, the art is distinct enough you're not protecting it with the watermark, you're protecting it with the style. Carve a unique enough style, and art theft is likely to be caught by people recognizing it, watermark or not.

A watermark large enough to not be worth trying to remove is also a turn off for people looking at the art - they can't see the art under the protection, and it can come off as a bit arrogant (thinking you're that good you need so much protection) or too commercial (think about what Geddy Images or any other stock photo site does). I would instead advocate for treating the signature/watermarking as branding. Come up with a distinct enough logo and folks will start to recognize that the art they like is all one artist and come find you.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
TBH, I'm not sure watermarks/signatures really deter theft that much. Editing tools being what they are, if someone wants the watermark gone it'll be gone. Hate to say it Percy, I could have that gone in 10 minutes or less, depending on how subtle I wanted it to be (I assume it's the giant "B"). However, the art is distinct enough you're not protecting it with the watermark, you're protecting it with the style. Carve a unique enough style, and art theft is likely to be caught by people recognizing it, watermark or not.

A watermark large enough to not be worth trying to remove is also a turn off for people looking at the art - they can't see the art under the protection, and it can come off as a bit arrogant (thinking you're that good you need so much protection) or too commercial (think about what Geddy Images or any other stock photo site does). I would instead advocate for treating the signature/watermarking as branding. Come up with a distinct enough logo and folks will start to recognize that the art they like is all one artist and come find you.
It's a PD =u=//

And thanks for the feedback. Yea, my style is unique enough that I don't think any one would try to steal it. And I feel my signatures are integrated enough into the style that it doesn't look arrogant or commercial. Just 'me'. Good advice~

DireWolfJ4

Thanos Bear But i'm clearly a folf

Well now that ive red this post, in this piece of artwork of mine should i just take away the whole DireWolfJ4 thing (even though that is my user showing the artworks mine) and put Like Dire or J4 to make it shorter just so thats its not like taking away from the look of the art? Or should i not even bother with one because at this point i dont think its not even needed because it just taking away from the art? FYI: this characters name is Dire, and he is my persona

Attachments

• Dire - Blue-User.png
    Dire - Blue-User.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 63

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Im sorry ;w; Its just that im new to this stuff, you know furrie stuff.
Its okay~. Everyone has to start somewhere.

You don't have to write a whole paragraph on your piece. Just like your initials or something near the face is fine.

Paws the Gryphon

*Sad hoots*
I was all over the table with my art back in the day. I sometimes signed with my real name, and sometimes something else. Sometimes not at all. Don't think I had anything stolen, but it may be because I wasn't that good. :D