• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Some Feedback Please

A_Dusty_Wolf

So I wanted to challenge myself with my next piece, something to push me to improve and I wanted to get some constructive criticism before moving forward. I plan on making this a night scene with a really limited palette. It took me four tries to get that city in the right perspective though, very frustrating. I'm happy with Renamon's posing though. Any thoughts or advise before I get to work? It'd be super appreciated :)
renamonwip.jpg
renamonwip.jpg

MissNook

@A_Dusty_Wolf
Hi there,

I think both the perspective and pose are cool! You've done a great job :)
I see two points of improvement, one for the composition and one for the anatomy.

For composition, in my opinion Renamon's head is a little too lost in the global shape. You may want to reduce the size of the glove at our left to add some space at the left of the head (that will make the ears and head stands out more and it would seem more coherent in term of gloves sizes if they were meant to have the same length). And you may also want to use a rim light in your coloration to add volume to it in both sides.

In term of anatomy, Renamon has three toes and we should at least see part of the third one here.

Except for these two things, you've really done well. I don't know if this was intentional but you've made a good use of the rule of third vertically and also a nice work on shape with the arms doing strong lines of action.

Keep up the great work and hope that helps!

A_Dusty_Wolf

@MissNook

Thank you so much for your advice, I can totally see your point about her head getting a bit lost as far as the silhouette goes, but I fiddled around with the size of her right arm (to our left) a bunch in previous sketches and since there is a bit of foreshortening in that form, this was the best I could come up with. I did, however, plan on adding some pretty strong rim light in that area, as you suggested, to strengthen the shape of her head and ears.

Yep, definitely will modify her right leg a touch and add in her missing toe!

also, yeah, I payed attention to the rule of thirds to really give a sweeping motion to the piece, as if we caught her mid-leap and she's about to bound off again.

MissNook

@A_Dusty_Wolf
Mmmh, I'm not sure what you wanted to show with the foreshortening, cause the hand seems bigger, but the elbow seems at the same depth than it. I guess you wanted to do a bent arm with the elbow towards the back?

And good for the leg, and you move it a bit and it seems better now :)

A_Dusty_Wolf

@A_Dusty_Wolf
Mmmh, I'm not sure what you wanted to show with the foreshortening, cause the hand seems bigger, but the elbow seems at the same depth than it. I guess you wanted to do a bent arm with the elbow towards the back?

And good for the leg, and you move it a bit and it seems better now :)
yes, the arm is bent slightly, elbow is just a touch behind her head. Maybe I need some clarification there. Thanks again for your help ^^

A_Dusty_Wolf

Just laid down the major values, I think that rim lighting really makes her pop

Attachments

• renamonvalue.jpg
    renamonvalue.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 60