• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Some say the fandom is chidlish

Oh yeah, definitely. However, what's right doesn't matter until you have the power to correct the wrongs.
Well where does that power come from? Those who are willing to normalize it and are brave enough to do what they want to. And if you don't like it, don't be violent or hateful. Go hang out where you feel comfortable.

It's on YOU if you go to any group and publically claim you're gay, trans, Furry, etc, NOT the group you claim your shit to.

It's called situational awareness and common sense. Knowing what to say, how to say it, where to say it and to WHOM to say it.

You don't need to tell anything to anyone. It's called privacy, keeping your own shit to yourself. And to respect other people's privacy.

They don't want to know anything about you and it's your job to keep it that way.
So by that pedigree, nobody should express themselves in any way unless it is specifically approved by the majority first? To me it seems that in a truly free and democratic society we should strive for the opposite, to allow people to express themselves in any way. It's not right to censor freedom of expression or talk it down because it *might* offend someone's sensibilities. It's not indecent or violent or harmful for somebody to go out in public dressed as a character or wearing a tail or whatever. And I'm not even into that shit! Lol believe me I think it's kind of weird and worthy of a few laughs. That doesn't mean they should stop. Who are we to judge?

Not trying to be difficult! These ideals just don't seem right to me. And I was raised in a household where we constantly debated these types of issues. So if I offended anyone, it wasn't my intent.

Happy New Years!

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
So by that pedigree, nobody should express themselves in any way unless it is specifically approved by the majority first? To me it seems that in a truly free and democratic society we should strive for the opposite, to allow people to express themselves in any way. It's not right to censor freedom of expression or talk it down because it *might* offend someone's sensibilities. It's not indecent or violent or harmful for somebody to go out in public dressed as a character or wearing a tail or whatever. And I'm not even into that shit! Lol believe me I think it's kind of weird and worthy of a few laughs. That doesn't mean they should stop. Who are we to judge?
Expressing yourself fine. But it has a time, place and people to whom to express yourself, like for instance on meets/cons or among friends who are cool with it.

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression does not exempt you from freedom of criticism. It's your right to say and do whatever you want as much as it's my right to criticize your words and actions. Especially when you are in the public sphere. If I don't do it someone else will. Freedom of speech and freedom of expression along with freedom of criticism are absolute.

Learning to know in which situation on what to say and do and what not to say and do is important.

S

Sergei Sóhomo

Wellllll you can replace the word "furry" with "queer" or "trans" or literally anything and justify excluding people for doing their thing. I'm not saying it's the same caliber of issue, but it's really not your place to patronize a community under the guise of being helpful.

Difference is sexuality and a birth defect are different from liking a concept. Infact they're vastly different.

It's not about how a situation should be, but rather how it actually is. People in general don't like furries and are going to ridicule you if you choose to publicize it.

If you were to be openly LGBT in ISISland, they'd probably throw you off a building.

There's no doubt, they actively do it if they find out you're gay or trans

Not to be all corny but our society didn't even come close to accepting queer people until the first gay couple brave enough to break the barrier held hands in public.
Again, not the same caliber but the same principles apply here too.

Society is what society does. It's a collective belief and science has proven that homosexuality is a natural thing so it makes sense that it becomes accepted. Granted it's still an outlier and all but it's still a natural thing that's also prevalent in nature.

Well where does that power come from? Those who are willing to normalize it and are brave enough to do what they want to. And if you don't like it, don't be violent or hateful. Go hang out where you feel comfortable.

There are some things you can change. Others you cannot. With the mainstream media you can bet your ass furries will never be accepted. More so when people keep doing what they're doing that gives media outlets the fuel to report it

You're allowed to express yourself but expect backlash if it's not something that's the norm in society.

You want to be accepted and seen as a regular citizen? Keep it behind closed doors and away from prying eyes. You want to be known as a freak or degenerate? Then express yourself as much as you want!

Difference is sexuality and a birth defect are different from liking a concept. Infact they're vastly different.

There's no doubt, they actively do it if they find out you're gay or trans

Society is what society does. It's a collective belief and science has proven that homosexuality is a natural thing so it makes sense that it becomes accepted. Granted it's still an outlier and all but it's still a natural thing that's also prevalent in nature.

There are some things you can change. Others you cannot. With the mainstream media you can bet your ass furries will never be accepted. More so when people keep doing what they're doing that gives media outlets the fuel to report it

You're allowed to express yourself but expect backlash if it's not something that's the norm in society.

You want to be accepted and seen as a regular citizen? Keep it behind closed doors and away from prying eyes. You want to be known as a freak or degenerate? Then express yourself as much as you want!
Ok well you're missing the point. I said that being a furry and being queer are not the same thing. It's not about that, it's a matter of principle. If people respond violently towards something completely innocuous to them, as you suggest, then you shouldn't just shrug your shoulders and say "oh well. That's society". Society can- and does- change. Again, not saying everybody has to be comfortable with it but nobody should be hostile towards it. Just as the fuckheads in ISISland see gays as being freaks and inhuman, that is their 'society'. Does that make it right? Of course not. But I'm sure the moderate people in the far east just shrug and say "oh well. That's society".
So why would it be right to have such hostile views towards anything else?

heteroclite

Everone is a hologram
I hate this thread. I don't know why. It just fills me with rage for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Epistates

Prodigiously Fit Foxy
There may be those who denounce the fandom as juvenile yet they are just covetous of the passion and liberty we have to just be as we are. Unless a man treasures himself in his worth, in a sense, he is not someone who can go "soul searching" for his niche like within furry fandom to put aside his differences to join any solidarity. We might have some sub-groups of the fandom that fit the bill of being "juvenile" a little yet those do not discredit us wholly in the ill side when have sub-groups that are intended for mature stuff like programmers and musclefurs to balance it out reasonably.

Starbeak

Born in Space, endlessly exploring star-systems
o_O

How is making others happy when they are feeling down childish?
Granted some might play with animal toys while dressing up in a fursuit but for the most part it is something people enjoy doing. Drawing, Music and Writing are far from childish, only furries do it dressed up in a silly suit ;)

I say it is more therapeutic for those who have very high stress and anxiety levels being able to go out in public behind a fursuit so they can loosen up and enjoy the company of fellow furs.

Non-furs see fursuiters as "Childish" because they don't realize how fun and creative it can actually be. My opinion anyway.

o_O

racoondevil

Minogue be my furname, hello!
Just skipping the explanation and just replying to the title, I joined BECAUSE this is childish. I have enough problems being an adult. I like to go brain dead and just play dammit. I even got castle building blocks, ands a monkey. Here look, here's my silly monkey. He has his own toys and different outfits for different occasions
20160126_042843.jpg

scet

Just skipping the explanation and just replying to the title, I joined BECAUSE this is childish. I have enough problems being an adult. I like to go brain dead and just play dammit. I even got castle building blocks, ands a monkey. Here look, here's my silly monkey. He has his own toys and different outfits for different occasionsView attachment 16789
That is a sweet radical awesome monkey

ChromaticRabbit

lagomorphic
Banned
... and (Jesus) said, “Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven..." --Matthew 18:3-4

Children, when very young, do not desire authority, do not regard outward distinctions, are free from malice, are teachable, and willingly dependent on their parents. It is true that they soon begin to show other dispositions, and other ideas are taught them at an early age; but these are marks of childhood, and render them proper emblems of the lowly minds of true Christians. Surely we need to be daily renewed in the spirit of our minds, that we may become simple and humble, as little children, and willing to be the least of all.
(biblehub.com: Matthew 18:4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.)

My point wouldn't be to go all religious on you, but rather to point how being child-like is a Western cultural ideal. Personally, I associate being child-like with knowing innocent honest joy in my life.

Iriastar

Rawr.
Haah, let them take a look at FA and they'll see how childish it really is.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Just skipping the explanation and just replying to the title, I joined BECAUSE this is childish. I have enough problems being an adult. I like to go brain dead and just play dammit. I even got castle building blocks, ands a monkey. Here look, here's my silly monkey. He has his own toys and different outfits for different occasionsView attachment 16789

Aw! That's cute!

Same here. I like the playful, child-like aspects of it. Plus, being an adult can be tedious and boring, and I tend to get overly serious/analytical, so the furry side of me is a good way to let go, relax, and have fun.

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
Is there something wrong with being a little childish every now and then? In a world thats so dark, its nice to have some light.
Being childish is in no way, shape or form bad. It only means you are taking your outlook on things with you from your childhood. In some ways, it helps you see things that you may have not seen previously. There are pros of being childish, and can have cons, depending on the situation.

You're only an adult when you realize you're a child on the inside. Then, as a 30-something, go make a pillow fortress on the couch with the warning "No gurls aloud!".

AustinB

Professional loser
I'm a little childish every now and again. I only really do it when I'm around my doggos though. But yeah, I'd say the fandom is childish. Nothing wrong with that. (As long as you're not acting like a 5 year old 24/7)