• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Someone explain this, and someone explain it -now-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampwulf

Verbose Senior Bitch
Viglink is not malicious, and it anonymously tracks links with no personally identifiable information.

So, this is why Vigilink has a section in their privacy policy titled 'Use of Personally Identifiable Information'?

Bobskunk

Banned
Banned
Oh no, it's ok, I understand.

'Neer makes a much better scapegoat, who cares about the other guy?

Okay, how about this: because they're both ultimately responsible for this decision and that either one of them could have either put forth the idea of informing the users of this program, whether "just testing" or fully implemented, or hanging back until they can better understand the legal implications and userbase reaction, Dragoneer AND Gavin own this. Out of habit and/or visibility (or possibly like myself, unaware that Gavin has equal responsibility now,) people are focusing entirely on his involvement.

tbh I forgot that "merger" even turned into a thing beyond the mangled initial announcement, and now that i'm aware that 'neer and gavin are co-owners they both should have thought this through more. My impression from that whole thing was Dragoneer remained solely in charge and that just understaff and advice are shared- after reading up a bit more, I realize that I was mistaken and that you were correct. It's not solely Dragoneer's problem, here.

anyway yeah saying "I fucked up" is part of it- we know what happened, that's why there's a thread. Just apologize and stop rationalizing.

That's better.

I'm simply saying there is no reason to pull apart every single post he makes, if you aren't wanting an answer in said posts.

Nah it's mostly being annoyed that he's taking time to pull excuses out his butt instead of working on this socalled draft.

Also classes don't start until the 6th, I need some drama to stave off the boredom here.

ygdrassil

leave britney alone blah blah white knight blah blah sorry what

Continuing on.

'Yeah I fucked up' is not an apology.

How is it that two words are so difficult to type.

you think I'm trying to defend this guy? I'm trying to help you to understand that he doesn't have to listen to you. at all. and he doesn't listen to you. you keep getting blue in the face over everything he does and screaming your head off. what's his response? "we're working on it." "we'll get to it later." then you forget and the cycle starts over again. welcome to FurAffinity.

again and again he does underhanded shit. again and again you people yell at him for it. the cycle keeps happening over and over again. you're so caught up in venting your emotions that you're not doing anything that will actually get him to change. I mean, shit, I'm doing the same thing now-- I'm typing at brick-walls that don't want to change their actions because they're having too much fun typing at the Internet and pretending that they actually fucking matter in the grand scheme of things. I'm frustrated that you guys are so frustrated that you're not doing anything useful. now I have to be a hypocrite and do the exact same useless shit to try and get you to understand what you lot are doing and not doing.

he's not going to apologize. he's going to say "mistakes were made." in fact, he already said it. you keep whining and nothing changes. if you care enough about the site to see it be changed and to see these actions that you're so upset over no longer occur, attack his bottom line. if you're so upset over his actions, attack his bottom line. all that matters is the bottom line. words don't.

moriko

To try and keep on topic, and this has possibly been brought up or thought about. Is it common to have an internal copy of a website, not open to the outside to test code changes for problems? I understand that certain connections needed to be made out/inbound, but I would think it would have come up before. I'm glad you came out and apologized and plan to rectify the situation and I hope this situation will bring about ideas about how to avoid something similar happening in the future.

I also apologize if this had already been done and passed an internal test, and was in the testing phase on the live server, which obviously should have waited till the TOS was ready for release.

Liardy

Nah it's mostly being annoyed that he's taking time to pull excuses out his butt instead of working on this socalled draft.

Also classes don't start until the 6th, I need some drama to stave off the boredom here.

To be fair, I post of forums while working(Or playing SC2...I should stop that) a lot, because it helps me think of what to say.

Reading a page of posts and throwing a paragraph out there doesn't take much time.

you think I'm trying to defend this guy? I'm trying to help you to understand that he doesn't have to listen to you. at all. and he doesn't listen to you. you keep getting blue in the face over everything he does and screaming your head off. what's his response? "we're working on it." "we'll get to it later." then you forget and the cycle starts over again. welcome to FurAffinity.

again and again he does underhanded shit. again and again you people yell at him for it. the cycle keeps happening over and over again. you're so caught up in venting your emotions that you're not doing anything that will actually get him to change. I mean, shit, I'm doing the same thing now-- I'm typing at brick-walls that don't want to change their actions because they're having too much fun typing at the Internet and pretending that they actually fucking matter in the grand scheme of things. I'm frustrated that you guys are so frustrated that you're not doing anything useful. now I have to be a hypocrite and do the exact same useless shit to try and get you to understand what you lot are doing and not doing.

he's not going to apologize. he's going to say "mistakes were made." in fact, he already said it. you keep whining and nothing changes. if you care enough about the site to see it be changed and to see these actions that you're so upset over no longer occur, attack his bottom line. if you're so upset over his actions, attack his bottom line. all that matters is the bottom line. words don't.

Okay I'm sorry here.

blah blah grey knight blah blah lawful neutral

maybe you should stop explaining and rationalizing and saying that a proposal to draft up an announcement to announce an announcement about how SOMEHOW this monetizing plan didn't pan out in the court of public opinion and just..

say "whoops i fucked up i'm sorry guys please forgive me and let's try to work things out from here"

the more you say things like "well the ftc thing doesn't apply to us because x y z" the more it seems like you're trying to redirect and bury this without owning up to what happened or understanding why people might be upset

I also promised to re-quote this a couple pages back because it sums up the whole thread p.much.

Anyway. To tl;dr it all.

People are pissed, it was five days without notice. (Wtf.) This is against laws. People are allowed to be pissed at law-breaking.
Dragoneer flails and tries to dodge around claiming hurricane + DDOS even though it would take five seconds to alert everyone to the opt-out link and what this was.
People get mad at excuses.
Other people try to stay neutral and get annoying.
I make a billion posts that say the same thing.
All most the people want: Mainsite apology.

Kiha

So let me get this straight, Neer:

This thing went live five days ago, nobody was told despite it being against the law, because "Oh we were just testing it."

Nobody says a word about it until a user happens to spot it in the site's coding and demands an answer, and then suddenly it's "Oh we were going to update the TOS today." That seems... Convenient.

And then people keep pushing the fact that it was illegal not to tell anybody, and it's "Oh we only found out about that last night."

On top of the fact that you supposedly went to the coding team about it and not one of them spotted the FTC requirements, or thought "Hey we should tell the users before we try this", this whole thing just sounds way too convenient to me and I'm just not buying any of this. :/

Last edited:

Liardy

Other people try to stay neutral and get annoying.

All most the people want: Mainsite apology.

Being neutral is only annoying to those who are not.

But a mainsite apology is, apparently, on the way.(Or so I gather reading Dragoneer. I could be wrong)

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
This thread was started with someone wanting an explanation. That explanation was given. We apologized for what happened and we admitted what we did wrong. This thread no longer serves much of a further purpose and is quickly devolving into something less than useful. As such this thread is now going to be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.