• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Something in the water?

In my opinion I think sexuality is deffined by your genes and chromosomes.

like people have mutated genders beacuse like the sex chromosomes are damaged well I think it has something to do with that but like the chromosome is like damaged but its damaged so little it wont cause you to become mutated. it just effects your sexuality instead.

but it could also be something to do with genes. like I was told certain parts of the genes determain certain things such as eye coulor, your behavior and your hair coulor but there could be a part of your genes to determain your sexuality.

so it could very well literaly be something in the water thats damageing chromosomes and genes and that may have caused the high amount of LGBT people in your area.

VoidBat

I guess it's easier for certain individuals to live out their sexuality in a larger community where they just become another face in the crowd. Smaller communities and neighbourhoods were the everyone-knows-everyone mentality is thick might discourage, as well as create hostile/unpleasant situations.

Of course this is just one of many variables, so I'd say that you need to track down a few more before you can get a clear view of the whole picture.

RagnarokChu

A deal with a demon.
I think that if your are a homosexual, you like yourself too much and if your heterosexual you like the opposite gender.

Bisexual don't care and Pansexuals would do anything.

The amount of water or quality may or may not affect your sexuality as because there has not been any studies done on different types of water on your sexuality during development of a child.
;V

In addition, your environment may have a factor in "acceptance" as people tend to do things only if preconceived as normal "around them. Otherwise they become something else then what they would be left alone.

Last edited:

Ad Hoc

Some old guy
I think that if your are a homosexual, you like yourself too much . . .
Then why do gays have a higher depression and suicide rate?

The amount of water or quality may or may not affect your sexuality as because there has not been any studies done on different types of water on your sexuality during development of a child.
No, but there are plenty of studies indicating that it has a biological origin, such as genetic, endocrine, or neuroanatomic differences.

In addition, your environment may have a factor in "acceptance" as people tend to do things only if preconceived as normal "around them. Otherwise they become something else then what they would be left alone.
Why do so many gays come from non-accepting families and backgrounds, then? Furthermore, if it's something that can be learned, then it must be something that can be unlearned as well. If that's the case, why do both the American Psychological Association and American Medical Association condemn therapies to "cure homosexuality" as being ineffective and potentially harmful?

RagnarokChu

A deal with a demon.
Then why do gays have a higher depression and suicide rate?

No, but there are plenty of studies indicating that it has a biological origin, such as genetic, endocrine, or neuroanatomic differences.

Why do so many gays come from non-accepting families and backgrounds, then? Furthermore, if it's something that can be learned, then it must be something that can be unlearned as well. If that's the case, why do both the American Psychological Association and American Medical Association condemn therapies to "cure homosexuality" as being ineffective and potentially harmful?
You are aware I wasn't serious what so ever.

But if you want a dicussion.

1. Because they are already socially discriminated against for what they are, that or because they are just depressed people. Sexuality shouldn't matter anyway?

2. That's Great, I was making a joke about the title and the subject of the topic that just happen to be completely different.

3. Because they are gay? Some people get married and have kids and then turn out later to decide to be gay later on their lives because they believed from society that they are in fact not gay. I could be born a cannibalistic person, but because how society works I learned to not become that type of person. I could also be born a serial killer, but because of how society raised me I don't go around murdering people on urge. Although I have it within me, I may never accept or even think about that part of me. Down the line, what type of person you are is still affected by what's around you. Certain things or themes may be more apparent in certain environments because it's easier for people to become what that thing is. You cannot "unlearn" what you are now, you can only simply decided to change who you are.

Last edited:

CrispSkittlez

Unprincipaly principled.
The initial push was mostly to prove that it is in fact a natural phenomenon, intrinsic and incurable; so that the homophobic establishment won't have as much justification to outlaw it and chemically castrate us (or worse) when we break that law, and so the laypeople slowly come to accept it better. You prove it inarguably, and they won't have a leg to stand on, unless they go down the rather unpopular route of eugenic cleansing. Proving that it's inborn and irreversible also helps us when we challenge things like DOMA. It hasn't been proven inarguably yet, though, so studies are ongoing.

That's the idea, anyway. I kind of agree that the money might be better spent on education, etc., because some people will never change their mind no matter how much evidence you give them. There's a roadblock there, though. If you try to disseminate pro-gay material in a school environment, you'll invariably get that one parent who freaks out about it because of the "homosexual agenda." If you've proven it's a natural thing, then it can find more of a place in the schools.
It's things like that that make me glad more and more schools in my area are going for the whole equal opportunity bit, to the point where some of the gays I know are the most popular people in school and any people who do feel so strongly against homosexuality are few and far between to the point where their argument simply gets lost in the crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are good intentions with finding the causes of homosexuality, but in the end, the people who are against it will still unfortunately most likely be against it, and the people who are alright with it will laugh at the haters wasting time and energy protesting something that will never go away.

Spatel

Some of it is hereditary, or is correlated. However remember, Correlation DOES NOT equal causation.
Of course there are Genes that lead to it, but they would be so far out.
That also would break a lot off the evolutionary theory.
Bisexuality is a common and highly successful evolutionary strategy in nature. The concept of homosexuals as a class of people that never interact with the opposite sex and never reproduce is a recent one, appearing only in the last few hundred years in western societies.

Ad Hoc

Some old guy
You are aware I wasn't serious what so ever.

But if you want a dicussion.

1. Because they are already socially discriminated against for what they are, that or because they are just depressed people. Sexuality shouldn't matter anyway?

2. That's Great, I was making a joke about the title and the subject of the topic that just happen to be completely different.

3. Because they are gay? Some people get married and have kids and then turn out later to decide to be gay later on their lives because they believed from society that they are in fact not gay. I could be born a cannibalistic person, but because how society works I learned to not become that type of person. I could also be born a serial killer, but because of how society raised me I don't go around murdering people on urge. Although I have it within me, I may never accept or even think about that part of me. Down the line, what type of person you are is still affected by what's around you. Certain things or themes may be more apparent in certain environments because it's easier for people to become what that thing is. You cannot "unlearn" what you are now, you can only simply decided to change who you are.
Ah. I am glad we see eye to eye. I apologize if I came off as combative.

It's things like that that make me glad more and more schools in my area are going for the whole equal opportunity bit, to the point where some of the gays I know are the most popular people in school and any people who do feel so strongly against homosexuality are few and far between to the point where their argument simply gets lost in the crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are good intentions with finding the causes of homosexuality, but in the end, the people who are against it will still unfortunately most likely be against it, and the people who are alright with it will laugh at the haters wasting time and energy protesting something that will never go away.
Yeah. It's good that there are places like that out there now, and they seem to be spreading. My little town wasn't quite like that, though. That said, I do believe people can change. Most of my friends and family were anti-gay when I was growing up. I wouldn't call it a perfect conversion, but most of them started changing their tune when I grew old enough to seriously defend LGBTs, as the general national culture grew more tolerant, as more information about it started coming out. Most people can change, I think. It just takes patience and the right mix of rational and emotional appeals.

fingerpaints

cupcake muncher
Gay, bi or straight aint a choice, its what you are, you don't 'become' it, you may be confused or not know, but nobody knows you better than yourself - I dont think location or where you were raised has anything to do with being gay / straight or whatever. Alot of my friends that I grew up with are gay, im bi, but we grew up in an area that was remote where it wasnt exactly well 'accepted' to be 'that way' - I just think its something that you are, and no matter how much you research, its chance.

Gay isnt a desease, I get a bit sick of people acting like it is, you cant catch gay

Spatel

I'm not sure I can agree that sexuality is an immutable, constant force in someone's life. I've notice mine change over time, and I wouldn't say that it's because I've gained any awareness of myself. There is a huge emotional component that seems to be highly dependent on one's environment. Your ability to be attracted to either sex is contingent on this emotional aspect.

There are components of sexuality and gender identity that don't and can't change. These things dictate the way the rest of the sexual identity fits around them, but there are always going to be several ways.

Last edited:

EdieFantabulous

Admurrable Admurral
Bisexuality is a common and highly successful evolutionary strategy in nature. The concept of homosexuals as a class of people that never interact with the opposite sex and never reproduce is a recent one, appearing only in the last few hundred years in western societies.

Umm... homosexuality shows up everywhere, and with everything.
It is by no means a recent development sir, I assure you.
It just is not documented due to Western society.

Either that or I am just totally misinterpreting this post.
I do that often.

Last edited:

RagnarokChu

A deal with a demon.

I do that often.
No you are right, homosexuality been around since the roman/greek times. It's even present in animals as a social bonding behavior.

Like your own junk too much were you want more isn't a "new thing." People haven't drastically changed in the past thousands of years.

Spatel

I do that often.

The concept of preferring same sex partners has been around longer than history. I'm pointing out that the trait doesn't have to be maladaptive from an evolutionary standpoint.