• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

something special tonight

Irreverent

I'll be sure to turn on every light I can find out of spite.

This. Its a sham. The post-"earth hour" inrush current load in Ontario was double what the load would have been had everyone remained at a steady state. Things that cooled down needed to be heated up (a lot of heat comes from lights particularly office towers) and things that heated up (when fans and AC etc were switched off) needed to be cooled down. An unintended consequence.

On the "bright side" star gazing was better, but it will be cloudy tonight here in Ontario.

makmakmob

I'm going to just leave my lights on tonight, and try to find a cracking catalyst so I can turn all my petrol into methane. Just to piss them off.

I guess I find environmentalism annoying. The only thing that'll make a difference is serious government intervention. All these attempts to scaremonger the public into doing stuff will get nowhere.

Graviolies

sports sports sports sports
living in Vegas, I'd love to see the strip do this

Thatch

Still not at 10k posts
I prefer to produce some... fertilizer, so that plants will grow better. brb.

Thatch

Still not at 10k posts
It's only an hour... of about 8766.

And, as Irreverent said, they ironically waste even more energy because of it.

GOOD GOING, greenies.

This is a joke that doesn't actually accomplish anything. Another way for politicians to say they are doing something... Someone yesterday said they were going to cut on every light in their house, open the fridge and freezer doors, cut the air down to 60, cut on all the TVs full blast, and then take a drive around town in their SUV. I also heard someone mention setting up spot lights and christmas decorations.

PS: Doesn't something like this put a strain on the power grid? Everyone cutting everything off at the same time then cutting everything back on at the same time?

Irreverent

PS: Doesn't something like this put a strain on the power grid? Everyone cutting everything off at the same time then cutting everything back on at the same time?

Pretty much. More so for coal/oil/gas and nuclear than hydro, which has different turbine spool characteristics then exothermic power generation. Shed enough current quickly enough and it will cause a spike, draw enough quickly and you can get a sag or prolonged undervolt condition until more generating capacity can spool up.

The irony is, because electricity can't be stored only generated on demand, the current flux will go where ever the demand is. As people come out of earth hour and increase demand, they'll suck power out of over producing areas that are entering the blackout hour; subject to the limitations of the transmission lines. This can stress long distance transmission lines; many are already very old and at end of life.

Remember the north American grid failure of 2003? Root cause of that was a hot day, but an earth hour event might be enough to trip the grid again. And given the economic downturn in the US, I'm betting there's at least one utility that aint keeping its outside plant up to spec.

Hope for a non-event, but prepared for a long night.

Bellini Tabloid

whatcha say? that's cool...
This is a joke that doesn't actually accomplish anything. Another way for politicians to say they are doing something... Someone yesterday said they were going to cut on every light in their house, open the fridge and freezer doors, cut the air down to 60, cut on all the TVs full blast, and then take a drive around town in their SUV. I also heard someone mention setting up spot lights and christmas decorations.

What an idiot, they're going to get a huge ass electric bill; hope they like it ;3

Sunny_Otter

Whatsa Motter?
It's cloudy outside but I can still see Toronto, I guess most folks there agreed it wasn't worth it.

Of course, turning the lights off on the Tower would probably not be the best idea...

Kommodore

well what is it?
It is a gimmicky scheme that will have no real impact on the world, likely not make anyone more "aware" of the issue than they already are or care to be, and just continue to hype the green fad up more than it already is. Someone from another forum put it more eloquently that I can:

As for the idea itself, I'm having a hard time coming up with arguments to support it. This seems like another one of those "pretend to care by doing something incredibly superficial for a very short timespan, then immediately go back to doing what you were doing, only now with a clean conscience" type of deals.

Ultimately it is just a way for people to feel good about themselves, not "save the environment."