• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Something We All Can Do To Help Prevent The Next Big Downtime

Littlerock

numb with cold
Here's a funny thing that many may not know:

When you see the 7N notice on your front page, that means you have seven UNREAD notes in your received folder. Why haven't you read them? Once you do, that notice goes away.

I was under the impression that some folks read them, then mark them as unread so that the little notice stays up as a reminder to reply to that note or reference it, if they haven't already.

maxgoof

Bad idea, those accounts can be groups, I've made many group accounts and I havent logged in those accounts for years, tho' they have activity in there from other people

I'd recommend logging in to them. There could be notes sent to it that only you can access.

[*logs onto his own group that he created*]

Um....yeah....I should clean that out....

[*add it to his todo list*]

Last edited:
There's no reason that this website shouldn't be able to handle notifications. This reminds me back on the days of Balto Source when we had to clear out our PMs because they were slowing the site down, somehow.

Because that crap builds up. I already did the numbers, and even at a measly 60 bytes per notification there are individuals with almost 29 megabytes worth of useless notifications. Forcing the database to wade through 29MB at 60 bytes a pop is not fast in any way, shape or form, and that's not even counting all the notifications of all the other users as well.

Clean out your crap.

Duraji

"That Android Guy"
Group accounts are just a pestilence.

Speaking of which, I'd love to see official group accounts made possible, complete with owners/admins and subscribers. Basically like mini forums on the main site. It would probably be a lot to ask for FA to do, but to be fair the competition hasn't done it, either, so it would be a massive leg up on the other sites!

AliothFox

That High-Flyin' Foxy
Speaking of which, I'd love to see official group accounts made possible, complete with owners/admins and subscribers. Basically like mini forums on the main site. It would probably be a lot to ask for FA to do, but to be fair the competition hasn't done it, either, so it would be a massive leg up on the other sites!

The competition has done it. SoFurry has real groups, and so does deviantART (though I usually don't count DA among furry sites).

maxgoof

Focus, people. This thread is about what we can do to help make the situation better rather than complain about it.

FoxWolfie

Pee-Stinky Raccoon
They way I've seen it implemented elsewhere (I forget where) is that a comment can be edited until such time as it is responded to. At that point it gets frozen. It can still be deleted by the thread owner at any time.

That's how I've seen it done most often, at least on the sites that allow editing. I often see stupid mistakes that I've made, usually right after I've posted something, like an included link that doesn't work, and stuff like that.

I've also seen sites where a timer would appear after hitting the send button. The user comments as normal, but their content is not actually committed to the database until 60 seconds after posting. They have that long to interrupt the pending post by deleting or starting to edit. After each edit, the 60 seconds would reset, in case they noticed another mistake. This would let users fix immediately noticed mistakes, but once the timer runs out, the comment is committed to the database, where it can be seen by other users. There would be no way for trolls to abuse it, since they could never alter a message that was visible to someone else, and it would cover the 90 percent of mistakes that are discovered right after hitting the send button. Personally, I'd benefit from just having a 15-second time to start an edit, since almost every mistake I make is noticed immediately after hitting send.

Duraji

"That Android Guy"
The competition has done it. SoFurry has real groups, and so does deviantART (though I usually don't count DA among furry sites).

Oh? I guess it's been a while since I've been on SoFurry, so I'll have to look into that. Would be a great way to spread some of my story ideas! (and, yes, DA doesn't really count, they have a ton of their own problems that make me not want to post there, plus it's a haven for 4chan)

DuckO

I still don't understand how this thread is supposed to help compared to the many other suggestion box threads regarding ways to help improve the many issues FA has, including those that caused today. If no ones really taken any of those to heart, where is this one supposed to succeed?

Not a complaint, just curious.

thoron

They way I've seen it implemented elsewhere (I forget where) is that a comment can be edited until such time as it is responded to. At that point it gets frozen. It can still be deleted by the thread owner at any time.

Now, if you attempt to respond to a comment while it is being edited, you are prevented from saving your response with a note saying that it is being altered, and to wait until the altered comment is saved to respond.

I believe that would be Ink Bunny. I believe you have 5 or 10 minutes to edit a comment before it becomes permenant.

Teal

Squirrel
I'd recommend logging in to them. There could be notes sent to it that only you can access.
Clearing the groups notices should be easy enough. Just nuke everything.

I asked them about this back when they had the "town hall" livestream. The answer to that was nope. Way to many things to do before that.

Duraji

"That Android Guy"
I believe that would be Ink Bunny. I believe you have 5 or 10 minutes to edit a comment before it becomes permenant.

Yes, you have ten minutes to edit comments. I kind of like the idea of being able to edit until there's a reply, though. Sometimes I leave a comment, then I realize I forgot something, but eleven minutes passed and no one responded anyway. Still it's good to get an edit feature for obvious mistakes.

I asked them about this back when they had the "town hall" livestream. The answer to that was nope. Way to many things to do before that.

I think it would require a full rewrite of the site's code, because I'm pretty sure the current code base for FA is incompatible with many of these social features that people want. If it took them this long to hide comments, it would probably take a decade just to add a "this" button to actual site comments. XD (and trust me, there are some amazing comments on FurAffinity, and amazing journals for that matter, that I wish I could thumbs up or anything to give them more recognition)

AliothFox

That High-Flyin' Foxy
Honestly, having dedicated group-type accounts (like what deviantART and SoFurry have) would be one of the biggest improvements to the site. You know what else would be awesome? The ability to thread shouts. I've always found it annoying that I have to go to another person's user page to reply to a shout - and it's not because I'm lazy; it's because conversations get lost in the shuffle. Sure, the argument could be raised, "Well that's what notes are for!" but that just seems like more of a hassle and more of a strain on the system than necessary. I dunno. I'm no IT guy.

But I gotta run upstairs and wrap some Christmas presents for a bit, so I'll check back and see what you guys think of that idea ^^

Duraji

"That Android Guy"
Honestly, having dedicated group-type accounts (like what deviantART and SoFurry have) would be one of the biggest improvements to the site. You know what else would be awesome? The ability to thread shouts. I've always found it annoying that I have to go to another person's user page to reply to a shout - and it's not because I'm lazy; it's because conversations get lost in the shuffle. Sure, the argument could be raised, "Well that's what notes are for!" but that just seems like more of a hassle and more of a strain on the system than necessary. I dunno. I'm no IT guy.

But I gotta run upstairs and wrap some Christmas presents for a bit, so I'll check back and see what you guys think of that idea ^^

Threaded shouts would be great, but they have already acknowledged that they need to fix the comment threading system in general. I know the new UI under Ferrox had it fixed, but now I have to wonder just how much of that project could be salvaged and started anew? There are plenty of folks willing to help, but I don't know how willing Yak is to let anyone help him. And if he keeps not letting anyone help him, of course the site will never get these fixes. It's not about complaining, it's about wanting more information as to what's going on and wanting to offer help, but some white knights don't see it that way and only help enable nothing to get done.

FoxWolfie

Pee-Stinky Raccoon
Group accounts are just a pestilence.

This is true - if the owner of the group is never logging in to maintain their group. Any group that is not logged into on a regular basis is mostly just a waste of server space.

Some groups are actively used and maintained. Those groups have good value and are fun to participate in.

My guess is that there are probably at least ten abandoned or unmaintained groups for every one that is active and useful.

Mint Chip

minty fresh
Do they have a system for deleting older accounts (like some of us have) that if we notify you that we no longer need the account and we want it to be deleted - if that would help the system with 1 less thing. Though that's probably small.

I also have a question, when the notification thing (I saw in a different thread) suggesting that they will implement a system to delete notifications over 90 days old, if that includes notes. Submissions and journals I can understand clearing after 90 days. But there are some notes that I have from that can date back further than 90 days that are still relevant/important for me to keep.

Also - when the site comes back up, perhaps everyone who goes to submit should try to lessen the number of submissions they do in a day. I mean I honestly have like 7 or 8 images that need submitted - but I could lower to submitting those to a minimum of two a day until I catch back up to the proper day. (Mine's a day by day thing going up to the 25th.) Of course this is honestly just a low-grade suggestion. Though sometimes just the small things could help the site.

Though I have to agree with many others above who have said we do need more updated software. Though I'm sure that's quite a long list.

Duraji

"That Android Guy"
Is there a way to mark notes as unread? If so, I've never seen it. I'd love to have that feature.

Yeah, you just click the notes you want to get unread, and then click the "restore" button. At least I think so, I can't demonstrate it to confirm just yet for fairly obvious reasons. ^^;

maxgoof

I still don't understand how this thread is supposed to help compared to the many other suggestion box threads regarding ways to help improve the many issues FA has, including those that caused today. If no ones really taken any of those to heart, where is this one supposed to succeed?

Not a complaint, just curious.

This one differs in that it is SUPPOSED to be things we, ourselves, can do, immediately, once FA comes back online. If we make a campaign of it, and point it out each time we see others with thousands of notifications, we can make a difference.

maxgoof

Do they have a system for deleting older accounts (like some of us have) that if we notify you that we no longer need the account and we want it to be deleted - if that would help the system with 1 less thing. Though that's probably small.

I also have a question, when the notification thing (I saw in a different thread) suggesting that they will implement a system to delete notifications over 90 days old, if that includes notes. Submissions and journals I can understand clearing after 90 days. But there are some notes that I have from that can date back further than 90 days that are still relevant/important for me to keep.

Also - when the site comes back up, perhaps everyone who goes to submit should try to lessen the number of submissions they do in a day. I mean I honestly have like 7 or 8 images that need submitted - but I could lower to submitting those to a minimum of two a day until I catch back up to the proper day. (Mine's a day by day thing going up to the 25th.) Of course this is honestly just a low-grade suggestion. Though sometimes just the small things could help the site.

Though I have to agree with many others above who have said we do need more updated software. Though I'm sure that's quite a long list.

Here's an idea on what we can do if we wish to close an account:

1) Change your profile information to inform visitors that the account is closed with pertinent information of what the viewer should do.
2) Trash all notes in the received and sent folders, then go into the trash folder and delete them there.
3) Delete all shouts not on the front page.
4) Unwatch all watched accounts. (this is crucial. It will prevent most notifications from accumulating.)
5) Delete all journals.
6) Delete all favorites.
7) Delete all submissions.
8) Change the password to a weird series of letters, numbers, and symbols.

If you want to leave things up for visitors, you can skip steps 5-7.

maxgoof

Oh, my gosh!! Something I just now realized!

Shouts! Are you aware that only the last 12 shouts can be readily viewed? But they are never removed, unless you remove them.

How many old shouts do we have in our accounts that we can simply trash?