• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Sometimes it's better to give up on an illustration that give you trouble ...

mapdark

Fluffy as a shaggy carpet
Like I said in the title , sometimes it's better to give up on a drawing than trying to FIX it if it gives you tons of trouble.

Trying to achieve PERFECTION is impossible with an illustration , (or any medium for that matter) and sometimes you will get that ONE piece of art that will give you tons of trouble. Well I give you this piece of advice. DO NOT go crazy over it .

You might want to take a break from that picture and start a new one and maybe come back to it later or simply drop it.

Otherwise , you might simply cause yourself unneeded frustration and stress and you won't go anywhere with this anyway.

I've seen so many people get frustrated over that one illustration when in fact they were plenty decent. It was just that one time where something went wrong and they couldn't fix it. And by trying to fix it instead of starting anew , they only ended up discouraging themselves.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Your first idea is not always your best idea.

Kaluna

*squeak squeak squeak*
This......this is advice i really need to take to heart. I definitely have the problem of reworking and reworking things until I'm so frustrated that I don't even want to draw anymore.

mapdark

Fluffy as a shaggy carpet
Your first idea is not always your best idea.

That too.
It happened very often that I would have an idea for a drawing , try to draw it and something was off. Just starting over would often result in something MUCH better than the original concept.

And overall by starting a new one all over again , you might actually SAVE time .

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Well if you're really doing this to eventually become a professional, imagine how many productions would be stalled if the people working on it didn't generate a series of concepts and work out the best possible solution for the media.

I think too if you want to get better at your output for commissions, it's in someone's best interest to keep doing more thumbs and concepts. You get better and work a bit faster at getting your initial ideas out.

I agree with Arshes. Lots of thumbnails and some experience help prevent that sort of thing.

If I do start over, it's never past a few hours into a painting... anything past that I'd just try to make it work. Sometimes you can work through things more easily with a little break, or by mirroring the image to more easily see its faults. :)

Zenia

I have a whole bunch of half-done pictures in my "working files" (aka .SAI and .PSD) folder. I wonder if I will ever get back to them. When I was working on this picture I got mad at it and let the sketch rot in my folder for a year before going back to it. I eventually finished it... and really liked it at the time. Now I hate it again. XD *looks at the date* Wow... It has already been (nearly) 6 years since I posted it. Doesn't seem like it has been that long. XD