• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Sonic The Hedgehog movie trailer

V

Vitaly

Agree.

This actually looks surprisingly cool:

vlcsnap-2019-04-30-09h36m23s951.0.0.png
wtf you talking about?
he looks like pedophile watching playground

Jackpot Raccuki

Mind your manors
Is it possible the film released a trailer with a deliberately ugly sonic so that they could drive up attention for the film?
I want to say no in that it seems like a dumb idea, however the movie does look like it's close to completion, mostly in that most of the scenes with Sonic are pretty small and easy to change.
So it might be a marketing strat to try and lure more people in to watch it just for the sake of "Oh, maybe I'll give it a chance when it's released" or something.

However judging from how quick an artist was to "fix" the old model makes me assume this might be the case.
Hype up Movie > Release Uncanny Valley trailer > Internet gets upset > Apologize and say it'll be fixed. > Hype for the new model makes movie more relevant/stay relevant > Profit.

Stratelier

Is it possible the film released a trailer with a deliberately ugly sonic so that they could drive up attention for the film?
But is it probable? There's so much work that needs to be done that the people involved can become acclimated to things that an outsider will immediately identify as an obvious problem; alternatively, some problems only become visible once you have something resembling the final version. Either way, it's a "can't see the forest for the trees" scenario.

Say whatever you want about the people responsible for overseeing the work, but a project NEEDS to have those kinds of outsider perspectives.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
The design is uncanny, yea.

However, I don't think the trailer was that bad? Its not winning any awards, and I'm disappointed by the music choices. We have 50-million Sonic soundtrack remixes online you could flip a nickle to the creators for, and you pick "Ganster's Paradise"...?

Otherwise, though, its not meant to be like... Disney or Pixar. Its a stupid trash, low-key furry movie.

They need to get some high key furs in there to fix that design though.

Last edited:

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes

Stratelier

Outside of Sonic's design, the other major flaw in the trailer is the choice of Gangster's Paradise as mood music -- whomever made that call should be FIRED. (Okay, not actually fired, that's just the scale of error we're talking about here.) Musically, it's a song with a dark tone and that paints the movie as being dramatic and ominous -- and most likely NOT the actual tone of the film.

If you want to market a film as light-hearted and family-friendly, USE AN UPBEAT, LIGHTHEARTED SONG IN YOUR TRAILER DAMMIT.

(Fortunately, the Internet has also fixed this in a variety of ways. e.g.)

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I kinda hate how like, instead of having spikes, its just like... clumps of fur. *Squint*
Like they just applied fur texture over the entire form and its just not...

Some better design choices could have been made here.

luffy

Administrator
Staff member
I kinda hate how like, instead of having spikes, its just like... clumps of fur. *Squint*
Like they just applied fur texture over the entire form and its just not...

Some better design choices could have been made here.
Dragoneer pointed out to me that they pick up an electrified quill at the beginning and he doesn't have any quills xD

C

CrookedCroc

So, which character do you think it's gonna be teased at the end of the movie? My money goes to Metal Sonic

A Minty cheetah

~C H E E~
So, which character do you think it's gonna be teased at the end of the movie? My money goes to Metal Sonic
I'd put money on Shadow. He's a consistent favourite among younger fans, so I reckon they'd go for maximum fan-service points.

Illuminaughty

Ring-a-ding-ding, pal.
I don't know why but I really like his new model. As a HUGE Sonic fan myself, I'm really hyped for the movie. I wasn't a fan of his design at first but I kept seeing it and I learnt to love it and I know more people will too. I can't be the only one who actually unironically wants to see this movie and actually doesn't hate the new design. I think he's pretty cute!

Maybe some cute fan art will change some minds:

All credit goes to respected artists, I didn't draw these
tumblr_pjkxnjol201rbdjsro1_r1_1280.jpg

52412131_1038972506304473_4596946748911837679_n.jpg

That fanart is cute, and decently designed- too bad he doesn't look like either of those drawings, at all.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Pft. Nah.
Sasuke- I mean, Shadow. Duh. Hands down.