• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Sony gets sued for taking out Linux from PS3

Vintage

you're beautiful
Meh I think it was a stupid feature anyway. I'm glad it was removed before people could pirate games

hardware backwards compatibility was a stupid feature anyway. i'm glad it was removed. i mean, if you want to play old games, just pull out your old playstation

seriouspost: i mean you really don't see what implications this could have for license agreements and companies being able to remove whatever they want from a game console you spent your very real money on when what they removed was being advertised as a feature???

AAAAAAANALOGY: it's like taking your car to a brand-licensed mechanic and they change out the tires 'n' shit and replace the windshield but they take out the cupholders and the lumbar support in the driver's seat. sure, it's not necessary, but come on. stick to your fucking word, guys

Last edited:

Skittle

Banned
Banned
Just because there was the potential to pirate games with Other OS doesn't mean there isn't potential to do it NOW.

Fuck, if you are worried about pirated items, then you shouldn't be allowed to put anything from an external onto the PS3 cause it may be pirated music or movies!!

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
I hope Sony does get their shit kicked in for this.

Saying that OtherOS should not be allowed just because you have the potential to pirate games, is like saying you should not be allowed to connect to the internet via computer while owning a PS, just because of the potential of pirating games.
Same shit, different source, is it not?

Ames

it smells like dust and moon light
hardware backwards compatibility was a stupid feature anyway. i'm glad it was removed. i mean, if you want to play old games, just pull out your old playstation

Good thing I bought my ps3 before they took out all that shit. I have all the memory stick slots, 4 usb ports, and backwards compatibility (I'm still buying ps1 and ps2 games :D).

Vintage

you're beautiful
Good thing I bought my ps3 before they took out all that shit. I have all the memory stick slots, 4 usb ports, and backwards compatibility (I'm still buying ps1 and ps2 games :D).

yeah i bought mine as soon as i heard it was being discontinued because i knew that they'd pull some of these stupid shenanigans but now i have the added bonus of watching them get sued by someone with bigger balls and more time than me

also: still running 3.2.0 but that's mostly because i don't play games often. i'd be pissed if i actually cared about PSN or online play.

Last edited:

Skittle

Banned
Banned
I have a PS2 and honestly, it is cheaper to buy a 40GB and a ps2 than to buy a backwards one now adays.

Or hell, a brand new 120GB (not like size matters) and a ps2.

Last edited:

Bianca

Banned
Banned
Amusingly it's too late for OtherOS removal to do anything, anyway. Certain individuals in the scene have got re-signing of installers working off the back of the initial exploits, so expect custom firmwares requiring no modification to the hardware (or access to OtherOS) sooner, rather than later.

Viva la piracy ♥

T

Tycho

Whatever. Linux on the PS3 was a novelty. The annoying part is them going back on their word like they did.

Lazydabear

Your Bear of Crap Wisdom
For some reason Sony heard a rumor of a Hacker claiming he finally can play a Pirated copy of a PS3 game using Linux as his tool to pirated games which out of fear made Sony restort this type of thing.

Taren Fox

Filmmaker
Sony needs to ad a feature that would create more giant enemy crabs.

A

Azbulldog

I'm really looking forward to the outcome of this case. I don't think Sony had the right to remove the feature, after it was advertised and such. Not that it affects me, I don't own a PS3. If I did I ever happen to get one I'd like this feature intact.

Foxstar

lol reggin
Linux on the PS3 was complete shit anyway, you could run it better on a 300 dollar laptop. So for people bitching about this, go buy a cheap laptop.

T

Tycho

Linux on the PS3 was complete shit anyway, you could run it better on a 300 dollar laptop. So for people bitching about this, go buy a cheap laptop.

It's more about Sony reneging on a deal than actually using Linux on the PS3.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
If OtherOS could have been made to use the GPU and/or more tasks could be offloaded to the SPE's, then things would be a lot different regarding OtherOS performance. Having used it, I can indeed confirm that no sane person would want to use it as a computer under those circumstances, but it can be made bearable by adding the VRAM to the swap space and so on.

All in all, though, I'm disappointed that the OtherOS feature was removed, and I'm pretty angry that the reason it was removed was because they feared piracy. While it wasn't a critical component, how far are they willing to go to that end? What if, for example, a modified PSP were able to break the hypervisor and install custom firmware? Would they disable RemotePlay? USB support entirely? What if, like the PSP, exploits for certain games are found possible via savegame hacks (not likely, but for the sake of argument)? What would Sony do then? Ban every owner of that game from PSN because clearly they're dirty pirates?

They're acting on the potential for evil. They may or may not have the right to do it this way (lawsuits will tell), but they're punishing everyone because an exploit that wasn't even really used to do anything was discovered by breaking open the console and shorting a trace on the motherboard. Had Sony's reaction not been so immediate and harsh, I don't think there would have been much else to happen, at least not so quickly as it seems to be going now with, as I understand it, multiple groups attempting to modify the firmware and release it for use on normal systems.

Last edited:

Skittle

Banned
Banned
If OtherOS could have been made to use the GPU and/or more tasks could be offloaded to the SPE's, then things would be a lot different regarding OtherOS performance. Having used it, I can indeed confirm that no sane person would want to use it as a computer under those circumstances, but it can be made bearable by adding the VRAM to the swap space and so on.

All in all, though, I'm disappointed that the OtherOS feature was removed, and I'm pretty angry that the reason it was removed was because they feared piracy. While it wasn't a critical component, how far are they willing to go to that end? What if, for example, a modified PSP were able to break the hypervisor and install custom firmware? Would they disable RemotePlay? USB support entirely? What if, like the PSP, exploits for certain games are found possible via savegame hacks (not likely, but for the sake of argument)? What would Sony do then? Ban every owner of that game from PSN because clearly they're dirty pirates?

They're acting on the potential for evil. They may or may not have the right to do it this way (lawsuits will tell), but they're punishing everyone because an exploit that wasn't even really used to do anything was discovered by breaking open the console and shorting a trace on the motherboard. Had Sony's reaction not been so immediate and harsh, I don't think there would have been much else to happen, at least not so quickly as it seems to be going now with, as I understand it, multiple groups attempting to modify the firmware and release it for use on normal systems.

^This

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race

Kangamutt

Because the more you pirate a game the less money devs get to make new games thats why I care

Question: Do you buy used games?

Seriously. Devs don't make money off of residual values. They get the cut from the initial sales in shrinkwrap, and if it's a hit, a nice bonus. Just because there is piracy, doesn't mean everyone pirates media. And besides, to pirate it, there has to be someone who has to chip in to the developer to get the initial copy. And don't go on about how the devs are losing money, either. Blizzard hired a few students last month before they even graduated, and they're getting payed $45k/yr with full benefits. Do you honestly think studios that do nothing but pump out triple A quality games are bemoaning losses?

Now that doesn't mean I'm condoning piracy. I'm working to get a spot in the industry myself, so I'd rather you buy legitimately! But if you're buying used games, the developer won't see a CENT from that sale! Anyway, my point is, is that taking out Other OS for fear of piracy is plain bullshit. Not only is there every other fucking computer made that can do it far more easily (if I remember correctly, the exploit on the PS3 is a rather tricky move and has a high risk of turning it into a $300 brick), AND it creates false advertising. Now the idea of running Linux on your PS3 does seem a bit like a novelty, but it IS advertised that you can do that, and once you unpack it, plug it in and get the necessary updates, you can't! Wouldn't you feel somehow cheated if you bought something that advertised a feature, no matter how trivial, but WAS a point of conviction to get you to buy it, and the manufacturer suddenly says you can't use it?

Last edited: