• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Sooo... The PSN hacking, anyone?

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
Go fig, a few days after my fiance bought a PS3, the network has been down for going on two weeks.
I've changed both my gmail and bank passwords, just as a precautionary measure, though I've never shared any credit card information with Sony. (We just buy points cards from stores, instead.)

Still, it's unfortunate that there very well could be people out there with their cards and personal information at risk.

It's also annoying that we just bought a card, and network is down.

Sony dun goof'd.

ghilliefox

SUPER DUPER PARATROOPER!
Actually it's more GeoHot's fault than Sony's. If he hadn't tried to jailbreak the PS3, then none of this would have happened.

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
Actually it's more GeoHot's fault than Sony's. If he hadn't tried to jailbreak the PS3, then none of this would have happened.

whaat really

are you really blaming hundreds of people's reactions to a lawsuit on the guys in court right now? did he actually tell them to hack 'em or something?

might as well blame his mother for birthing him and raising him if you want to keep going that far down the road

On Topic: sorry to hear that happened OP! I love my PS3 and I'm kinda disappointed over all this hubbub too. I hope that it passes soon so we can just have fun with the consoles again without having to worry...

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
No, not really. If Sony's PSN were so vulnerable by virtue of having possession of a dev unit, then at some point some yahoo would have gotten hold of one and figured it out anyway. You can blame Sony for Geohot's jumping onto the scene, anyway; The whole point behind his focus on jailbreaking the PS3 was to put OtherOS and other Sony-removed features back into the PS3. He had originally decided to see if it was even possible to unlock the PS3's GPU and CPU cores under OtherOS, which he did (OtherOS (Linux/etc) has absolutely ZERO hardware acceleration available and performs much like an old Pentium 3 unless you've got software that can use the few Cell SPU's Sony let you use). Sony got wind and removed OtherOS completely in a gross overreaction. Geohot and others kept at it in outrage. PS3Groove drops. Sony again overreacts and locks down USB ports. Master key gets found. Sony goes apeshit, sues Geohot in a bold statement that PS3's are not in fact the property of the consumer that paid for it, but rather property of Sony. Because the suit was settled out of court, Sony scored a mild victory. Sony's reactions are the corporate equivalent of a dictator punishing the masses for the actions of dissenters, and the reactions of hardcore Sony fans the equivalent of the masses turning against dissenters in the deluded notion that it's they, not the dictator, who are causing them anguish.

This probably won't affect me in any real way seeing as I'm not a huge PSN user, but seriously... The people who this DID affect deserved better, and they deserve better than a "We didn't tell you for a week because we didn't know". It doesn't take a week to figure out that your systems have been compromised, guys. It also doesn't take a week to realize that you should probably issue some kind of preventative warning early on rather than keeping details scant until it's pretty much already too late.

I'm guessing they were going to keep it completely under wraps to save face regarding PSN's security holes, but their lawyers probably advised them to issue an advisory to keep the trail of blame off them. Of course it's the actions of the hackers that are the root cause of all this, but it's Sony's responsibility to protect the privacy and financial information of its customers. This information was under their stewardship. If something happens to compromise that, it's on them to notify those affected in a timely fashion. They won't even tell customers which credit card they might have linked to their account, or even help beyond saying "monitor your credit rating". The delay and relative silence about the issue speaks volumes about Sony's willingness to step up to the plate on accountability issues, not to mention their rather cold view of customers.

Last edited:

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
This probably won't affect me in any real way seeing as I'm not a huge PSN user, but seriously... The people who this DID affect deserved better, and they deserve better than a "We didn't tell you for a week because we didn't know". It doesn't take a week to figure out that your systems have been compromised, guys. It also doesn't take a week to realize that you should probably issue some kind of preventative warning early on rather than keeping details scant until it's pretty much already too late.

I'm guessing they were going to keep it completely under wraps to save face regarding PSN's security holes, but their lawyers probably advised them to issue an advisory to keep the trail of blame off them. Of course it's the actions of the hackers that are the root cause of all this, but it's Sony's responsibility to protect the privacy and financial information of its customers. This information was under their stewardship. If something happens to compromise that, it's on them to notify those affected in a timely fashion. They won't even tell customers which credit card they might have linked to their account, or even help beyond saying "monitor your credit rating". The delay and relative silence about the issue speaks volumes about Sony's willingness to step up to the plate on accountability issues, not to mention their rather cold view of customers.
This pisses me off about the whole thing, too.

At first it was all "Well, they might have your username and password and profile information, but no credit card info. No worries."
Now it's "URGENT: Keep an eye on your bank statements, look at your credit scores, change your SSN, buy a dog!"
A whole week later.

We bought the PS3 to begin with to avoid the 360's online subscription costs.
Now I'm wondering if it was even worth it.
But I know I'm definitely going to transfer my PSN account email to one of my throwaway emails, and never use a credit card on there ever, now.

LLiz

Use your flippers to get down!
Man this was such a pain, I spent yesterday changing passwords (because PSN fits into my "generic password" category) and I had to have my credit cards / bank cards re-issued which means that I have no atm access to my money while this takes place (nor can I use them in a store, etc).

Sony should be shamed for not telling people about this sooner, yeah I get that they need to asses the damage, but if there is a HINT of activity saying that credit cards are under risk they should have acted immediatley. It really pisses me off that my money has been at risk for about 1 week without me knowing, just because Sony want to save face... guess what Sony, it backfired! And you deserve whatever fallout you get from this, and I hope this costs you something.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
This is the same stupid Sony whose idea of a random number generator was to roll a die once (LOL it's random!) and write that as the number returned. This is the same arrogant Sony who declared that they'd kill the Revolution/Wii even if the PS3 was twice the launch price, just because it had the Playstation name on it. Ridge Racer!

Part of me knows that if this doesn't utterly destroy the company, then nothing will. Part of me knows also that Sony has a fan base so loyal that the Onion story of Sony's Stupid Piece of Shit That Doesn't Fucking Work is so disturbingly close to the truth that not even this massive "holy fuck" grade incident will phase them.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
This is the same stupid Sony whose idea of a random number generator was to roll a die once (LOL it's random!) and write that as the number returned. This is the same arrogant Sony who declared that they'd kill the Revolution/Wii even if the PS3 was twice the launch price, just because it had the Playstation name on it. Ridge Racer!
Don't forget that at one point, Sony claimed to be the only fully backwards compatible console of this generation, with only one of their competition even having partial backwards compatibility.

Look how that turned out.

Dr. Durr

Misses The Point Frequently
I never linked it to my new credit card, and I used the Gift Cards.

Kivaari

Meow.
My PS3 has been down for weeks due to a failed PSU. I've been extremely happy with other Sony products I have (Headphones, DSLR) but the way they handle the PS3 makes it very tempting to just ditch it and get a better graphics card for my desktop. If only I could convince my friends to do this.

LLiz

Use your flippers to get down!
I've started changing passwords already, but the credit card company's already given us a "you might be in danger" call. Get your shit together, Sony.

I replaced all my cards "just in case". I think we're still yet to see the real fallout from this. The identity theft and fraudulent purchases probably hasn't even started yet.

Don't forget that at one point, Sony claimed to be the only fully backwards compatible console of this generation, with only one of their competition even having partial backwards compatibility.

Look how that turned out.

Also don't forget Sony's rootkits that they put on their music CDs. Who knows how many people were vulnerable due to hacks because of that.

Xegras

Peerat
I was thinking of getting a PS3 >.> Guess I'll just update my computer.

Xegras

Peerat
So, I heard this from my friend and here's exactly what they said: I heard that Sony will charge you for using PSN because of the incident

These bots are becoming sentient.

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
Sony is already being sued.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Yeah, Sony's never considered their customers to be anything but thieves.

Dr. Durr

Misses The Point Frequently
Yeah, Sony's never considered their customers to be anything but thieves.

Sony CEO: Kay, we have 6.20 Firmware for PSP, let's see those hackers stop us n-
Intern: They don't need to hack their PSP to get homebrew now.
CEO: WHAT!?
Intern: Half Byte Loader just needs Patapon 2.

*A while later*
CEO: We now have all HBL methods patched now-
Intern: They now they don't need a game for that now, now they are able to play whenever, no HBL needed.
CEO: FFFFFF-

Bobskunk

Banned
Banned
laffo

w9sVX.jpg

sonyisnotverygoodwithcomputers.gif

the fact that PSN is down is not such a big deal, since the PS3 has no games to play over PSN in the first place

but in all seriousness sony has consistently fucked up with their console as a result of a bad attitude and a sort of arrogance. i'd say this would knock them down a peg or two, but... nothing will change on their end, and a whole lot of people will get hurt over this credit card dump.

this whole mess could end up costing over 599 U.S. dollars, 599 U.S. dollars, 599 U.S. dollars, 599 U.S. dollars, 599 U.S. dollars, 599 U.S. dollars, 599 U.S. dollars, 599 U.S. dollars...

EDIT: real talk ghilliefox is dumb

L

LizardKing

I haven't purchased anything from Sony (as far as I'm aware) for about a decade now. Fuck 'em. Their SonicStage software reminds the most godawful program I've ever had the displeasure of using. Or in some cases, trying to use.

T

Tycho

Fuck Sony so fucking hard.

I want to Cartoon-Jackie-Chan-uncle-forehead-bap my brother for leaning on me to get a PS3. (So glad I traded that fucker away.)