• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Soooooooo any Linux users out there?

zeroPony

I'm using linux on my raspberry pi, which is used as mediaplayer. Also have home server with Debian which is used as cloud and NAS.
But on laptop and PC I use Windows 10, beacuse it's pretty stable and had all software I need. Also I tried to use Ubuntu/Mint on my netbook from 2011, but developers removed GPU drivers in Ubuntu 18 so system became useless other than terminal.

Tenné

Purveyor of cookies
Wahoo
Skjermdump fra 2019-10-18 01-09-23.png

zeroPony

Oh, and does Ubuntu on Windows counts?)
It's very useful feature of Windows 10. I use it as SSH client, Postgres client and it's very handy to read large logs with 'less'

S.A.F.I

Simulated Anthropomorphic Feline Intelligence
Oh, and does Ubuntu on Windows counts?)
It's very useful feature of Windows 10. I use it as SSH client, Postgres client and it's very handy to read large logs with 'less'

I've heard of that feature, but I have not personally used it... Probably because the only time I use Windows is when I'm borrowing someone else's or working on the school's computer

Revan_Wolf

Barely containing the madness within...
Only Raspbian Buster on my Pi 4, for PC it's MS-DOS and various versions of Windows depending on which PC I''m using (Windows 3.1 - Windows 10)

Revan_Wolf

Barely containing the madness within...
So much legacy?)
Built a Dos 6.22/Win 3.1 PC for old DOS stuff, a Windows ME PC for the games that never got compatibility for NT versions of windows (Mainly XP forward), and Lastly a current Ryzen system running Windows 10

Pygmepatl

Spotted Skunk
Aww, all of you started their Linux journey with beginner friendly distros while mine when something like this:

Debian>three months later>Jump into Gentoo

But dont get me wrong, I didnt do it like this because I wanted to feel superior for using a hardcore distro but because my hardware only allowed me to do those two options, Debian being one of the latest distros to support it and Gentoo being the only distro that still supports it.

The hardware in question was an 800hz iBook G4, btw

Canis Dirus

Extinct Pleistocene canid

Canis Dirus

Wow! Now that's even older than mine XD
Well, it was the Nineties, we compute as we could. :)

P.S. Honestly, in 96 (Or 97? I don’t remember exactly when I got it.) P120 was quite adequate, albeit not the bleeding edge of technology. The "problem" is that by the beginning of the Aughts (when I changed it to K6-2 450), it was hopelessly .
obsolete

Tenné

Purveyor of cookies
Aww, all of you started their Linux journey with beginner friendly distros while mine when something like this:

Debian>three months later>Jump into Gentoo

But dont get me wrong, I didnt do it like this because I wanted to feel superior for using a hardcore distro but because my hardware only allowed me to do those two options, Debian being one of the latest distros to support it and Gentoo being the only distro that still supports it.

The hardware in question was an 800hz iBook G4, btw
Life's too short for Gentoo. UwU

Mayfurr

Mostly Harmless
I've been running Linux Mint for at around four years now, dual booting initially with Windows Vista before taking the plunge a year ago and going 100% penguin. I'm also running it on an old Dell laptop that's dual-booting with Windows 7 but I haven't felt the need to go into Windows for absolutely AGES...

It helped that I'd gotten into FOSS applications on Windows for a while before, so transitioning to Linux Mint was quite straightforward as I was already using apps like GIMP, Krita, and Firefox.

I still have to use Windows 10 at work, and every time I'm forced to do an "update and restart" I'm reminded of how little I have to do the same on Linux...

ManicTherapsid

In Stereo. Where Available.
Im a fan of mint but i cant get the amd video card drivers to run properly on it for gaming.

Kinare

RAWR
I tried to put Ubuntu on my server machine because free, but it just wasn't cooperating with what I needed to do, and when I tried to reach out for help on a developer forum I got snarky ass reply and downvoted by the same person, so I gave up and bought a cheap Windows 10 Pro key on eBay.

zeroPony

I tried to put Ubuntu on my server machine because free, but it just wasn't cooperating with what I needed to do, and when I tried to reach out for help on a developer forum I got snarky ass reply and downvoted by the same person, so I gave up and bought a cheap Windows 10 Pro key on eBay.
I think, you should choose right tools for your tasks. And often well known tool is better solution.

zeroPony

Just curious, can somebody recommend books about unix/linux for beginners?
I have "Unix power tools" from 80'th and "Linux User Guide". They're nice to start, but maybe there's some other books that helped you.
I'll appreciate your opinions and reviews:)

Canis Dirus

AngelwolfUK

I've used a few distributions, but my favourite was Arch. Yes, it's scary when you first start off, but once you're running, the experience is brilliant.

You have to install via the console, including your network, gpu and desktop environment - but it isn't as complex as you might think. The documentation is second to none and very easy to read and follow. What's more is that you learn how it works from the inside out. I find many distros try to be too easy for users, which just makes things harder to fix if they go wrong. Arch just lets you get on with it,with complete control and customisation.

Also uses Pacman, which is awesome for installing new tools and fixing dependencies. It's bleeding edge, too, so you can keep it up to date without having to reinstall a new long term release... But I guess that's also a double edged sword (RIP my 32-bit netbook which is now forced to use antiX)

Canis Dirus

I had no other option!
There is also another variant: cheap and small Chinese SBCs, like Orange PI PC and PC2 (three USB 2.0 connectors, and HDMI video output). I'm not sure that the Allwinner H5 (and even more so the H3) with system on SD card is faster than the old Power G4 (Plus, you may need to purchase an external hard drive. Otherwise, compiling the kernel (or other heavy software) quickly rapes the SD card to death.) but at least it will be possible to use more modern binary distributions.

FoxesYummy

foxoxofofofoxfxo
I used to use Linux Mint KDE but then switched to Windows 10 because of driver issues with my older laptop and Windows only programs that wouldn't run with WINE.

St.Jimmy

Raspian on my Pi, Centos 7 minimal on my Pentesting machine, Ubuntu on my Mailserver, CentOS 8 at Work and Tuxedo OS on my Notebook.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Quite a while ago in this thread, @S.A.F.I recommended KDE Neon for me. I was using it very occasionally so far, until recently. Blender3D started having severe stability problems on my installation of Windows 7. Crashing into complete blackout, with physical reset being the only thing remaining to do. Hard to tell what it is, maybe random bug, maybe the matter of no longer supported operating system.

This made me look into KDE Neon once again. And well - everything just works! No crashes anymore, and the render preparation stage is noticeably faster. Neon itself feels very "Windows like" and is stable too, I only had rare lock-ups at the sleep mode. Didn't boot into Windows for weeks. Happy happy, will keep. :p