• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Sorting New Submissions

Twile

Would it be too much to ask to have the options to sort by artist name or submission name?

Personally, when I browse, I try to group by artists so I can have an easier time saving the files to my computer. It'd be a huge time savings for me personally to be able to sort by artist.

In a similar vein, I could imagine it being useful for other people to be able to sort by submission name, which would automatically group things like images from a comic series, or various progression stages of an image (sketch, inked, flat colors, final).

Adding this sort of functionality should take, what, all of 10 minutes to type up and test? I'd do it myself if I were in the coding team, because it would save me a great many hours every month >_>'

Stratelier

Before somebody goes and throws Pi in your face, any site coders handy to give an estimate on what sorts of work would actually be required for a feature like this, given FA's current codebase?

Remember the programmer's rule: Change your estimate to twice the number, and the next-largest unit of time duration.

tsawolf

This kind of behavior will be included in Ferrox, including intelligent handling of comics.

As for the current codebase, we would either have to include a seperate query to the db server with a sort on the end, which puts load on the db server, or do the sorting on the fly...

Of course, that's for sorting within an artists page. I'm not really sure what you mean by 'sorting by an artist'...

Eevee

Banned
Banned
Stratadrake said:
...any site coders handy to give an estimate on what sorts of work would actually be required for a feature like this, given FA's current codebase?

Remember the programmer's rule: Change your estimate to twice the number, and the next-largest unit of time duration.
6000 eons?

Doing this in a sane way would take a bit of thought, but it's certainly possible. If new submissions are a live stream, though, then any sort other than backwards-by-time will rely on FA being smart enough to guess at what you last saw.