• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Sound issues on my laptop.

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
I can't get the sound to work on my laptop, either through it's speakers or the headphones. I have ran a test and there is input from a microphone and the test said my sound device is working properly, what the fudge?

Kranda

I'm going in for the kill.
Try going and uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it. Barring that try a boot into safe mode and see if it works. Also run a virus scanner, maybe you have some virus whose job is to do just this.

HuskyWusky

your friendly neighborhood ass
Do you have the correct driver installed? Are you using windows xp? If not you shouldn't be having this issue cause windows vista and windows 7 included audio drivers that work for 95% of devices... Verify you have the correct driver... If you have the same issue like me... my manufacturer has dropped support for my device... if this turns out to be a case in your situation you can use a tool such as hwinfo to identify the audio device and obtain the correct drivers for your sound device

Last edited:

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Well, what make of laptop and model?

Randy-Darkshade

Well, what make of laptop and model?

It's old, it's an ERGO Mercury 2 L2000 Series. It has a windows 2000 COA sticker on the underside but whomever owned it before me has had windows XP installed on it. It has a 1ghz processor and 512mbs of RAM. It works absolutely fine apart from the sound.

Do you have the correct driver installed? Are you using windows xp? If not you shouldn't be having this issue cause windows vista and windows 7 included audio drivers that work for 95% of devices... Verify you have the correct driver... If you have the same issue like me... my manufacturer has dropped support for my device... if this turns out to be a case in your situation you can use a tool such as hwinfo to identify the audio device and obtain the correct drivers for your sound device

It has XP. I got this laptop free when someone replied to a wanted add I placed on freecycle.org. Now I am assuming at one point it's audio did work as there was plenty of music stored on it. I have been through all the test procedures and they all say the device is working properly yet I still have no sound output. I did a mic test and it showed I had input from the mic and the bar next to it was showing I had sound output as I spoke yet no actual sound.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
I know this is gonna sound stupid but it's not on mute is it?

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race

Randy-Darkshade

Hir

my name is lucifer, pleased to meet you.
you seem to be totally avoiding the idea of re-installing the driver. that will probably do the trick.

Randy-Darkshade

you seem to be totally avoiding the idea of re-installing the driver. that will probably do the trick.

Just exploring all options. Though I think one of those USB adapters would be useful either way.

Just can't be arsed at the moment to boot the machine up, get it online and uninstall and reinstall the driver, gotta find the driver online too.

I've just gone into Sounds and audio devices and looked under hardware, there are two drivers listed. One is SIS 7018 Audio Driver and one is Legacy Audio Driver, conflicting maybe?

Last edited:

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Nah, Legacy Audio Drivers is something else entirely. It basically provides support for older drivers / codecs, and isn't a driver itself.

Hir

my name is lucifer, pleased to meet you.
search for an update for SIS 7018 Audio Driver. legacy audio driver won't be clashing with it.