• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Space stuff

D

Dat Wolf

any other space nerds out there? I’m huge into space history and current events.

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
Since I'm interested in all mysteries of the unknown I'm well interested in space. Scientificly, philosophicaly and metaphysically.

Which aspects of it are you interested it?

Keita Lemur

A lot funnier than I look
Im a huuuuge space nerd and I have collection of space stuff starting with the Apollo missions. I have family that worked on the program from the beginning to the shuttle program. I worked there too. 3 years for the contractor that builds the PLSS for the EMU. I started right after the Columbia accident and worked on the return to flight mission, STS 141.

Want to see the owners manual for the environmental control system on the Lunar Module? hehe
sNwQUbil.jpg

IxdkfPQl.jpg

D

Dat Wolf

Since I'm interested in all mysteries of the unknown I'm well interested in space. Scientificly, philosophicaly and metaphysically.

Which aspects of it are you interested it?
U.S history like Gemini, Apollo, Space shuttle that kind of stuff

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
Ah you mean Astronautics and Space travle. That's someting I'm not so versed with. I'm more interested in astronomy not the technological aspect of it.

Yakamaru

Autumn Wolf

Keita Lemur

U.S history like Gemini, Apollo, Space shuttle that kind of stuff

How about the manual for the Apollo EMU

114F6Prl.jpg

vKk4mW0l.jpg

I0tr7Zel.jpg

@Keita Lemur since the moon is being mentioned, I've handled a moon rock before. A tiny little section taken for a microscope slide, but still...from the moon.

Thats awesome! I havent touched any moon stuff but tons of stuff thats been in space. There are parts on the ISS right now that I worked on. The biggest being the fan/pump/separator in the EMU. Its the thing that pumps the fluid through the tubes that cool off the astronaut, moves the air around and takes the moisture out of the air so the face shield doesnt fog up. Theres also a part called the Bends Treatment Adapter and its does what it says. If there is a problem with the pressure in the suit and the astronaut gets the bends that part helps with it.

Probably the coolest thing I have is some charcoal that was on Apollo 8, the first trip around the moon. Jim Lovell who was also on Apollo 13 was on 8. Because of the slingshot maneuver around the moon to return to earth hes also the person thats been the farthest from Ohio (where hes from) lol.

ScARh4zl.jpg

What kind of stuff would you like to know? Ive seen probably every documentary on the moon and space shuttle missions and I can ask my great uncle anything since he was there from the beginning. He was one of the people called up in the middle of the night when the tank exploded on Apollo 13 and helped with making the square Command Module CO2 filter attach the round hole on the LM.

Stuff to watch is
The Right Stuff-has a lot of info on the Mercury and Gemini missions and the people were a part of it. Its also a book if youd rather read about it
From the Earth to the Moon-an HBO made mini-series that covers the Apollo missions pretty accurately

Then just look around youtube, netflix and PBS for documentaries on whatever you are interested in. There are tons of them out there. Last good one I saw is on youtube called Moonshot. Its 3 hours long and narrated by Deke Slayton and very, very good.

O

Okami_No_Heishi

Little story.
When I was in High School, I was in Air Force Jr ROTC. Our Senior Master Sergeant was a maintenance crew chief on the SR-71. I got to wear his pressure suit to the Middle Schools to recruit for the ROTC program. That fucker was HOT!! I probably lost two pounds in sweat in the first five minutes!

Keita Lemur

I really hope there's life on other planets out there. I also hope the government doesn't hide it from us once they find it.

I think about this a lot and figure that if there is wouldnt they be just about the same amount of advanced as we are when it comes to traveling long distances in space? Or maybe they discovered worm holes or ripples in gravity already, hmmm

I hope that if there is other life and they find us we arent really far behind and we look really dumb compared to them, haha

Slytherin Umbreon

Black Lives Matter
tenor.gif
200.gif

Little story.
When I was in High School, I was in Air Force Jr ROTC. Our Senior Master Sergeant was a maintenance crew chief on the SR-71. I got to wear his pressure suit to the Middle Schools to recruit for the ROTC program. That fucker was HOT!! I probably lost two pounds in sweat in the first five minutes!
Subconsciously practicing for becoming a furry and getting a suit.

Ramjet

Seizing the memes of production
It is claimed that the Mikoyan MiG-31 "Foxhound", Russia's high-altitude interceptor jet, is capable of shooting down satellites in low earth orbit.

The Russians carried out experiments with the MiG-31D as an anti-satellite weapons platform during the Soviet era, with the 79M6 anti-satellite missile and the 45Zh6 Krona space-tracking radar. The MiG-31 anti-satellite missile program was shelved when the USSR collapsed, but was resurrected in 2009.

The US conducted similar experiments with the F-15 in the last years of the Cold War, but the program was cancelled in 1988.

Apparently, not many details are known about the Russian's efforts to revive this program, but the idea of an airplane being able to shoot down an orbiting satellite is absolutely fascinating to me.

nationalinterest.org: Russia's MiG-31 Might Have a New Mission: Kill American Satellites

Now with regards to other stuff, I'm still wondering when or if we're going back to the moon this century.

Yup, and the Americans successfully shot one down with the F15:cool:

They still hold the only satellite kill with a fighter jet.

www.americaspace.com: History’s First Space Ace, Taking Out a Satellite with an F-15

Keita Lemur

Love it.
My father ran shaker tests on the Apollo Lunar Module and got to play with the lunar rover simulator the astronauts trained with. I know he also met Sally Ride.

That rules, did he work for Grumman? The company my great uncle worked for built the environmental system for the LM. His first job was getting the project on time and budget since it was over on both and he did it, he was a hardass, haha. If you or your dad havent yet check out the series From the Earth to the Moon by HBO you should for sure. The episode called Spyder is the one on building the LM and lander and its my favorite one. Ive rewatched that one the most.

That rules, did he work for Grumman? The company my great uncle worked for built the environmental system for the LM. His first job was getting the project on time and budget since it was over on both and he did it, he was a hardass, haha. If you or your dad havent yet check out the series From the Earth to the Moon by HBO you should for sure. The episode called Spyder is the one on building the LM and lander and its my favorite one. Ive rewatched that one the most.

Yes, he did work for Grumman for awhile before following one of their engineers to found another company. He's since passed away but I know he did see the documentary. I've seen parts of it but I do plan on going back to watch the whole thing.

Keita Lemur

Yes, he did work for Grumman for awhile before following one of their engineers to found another company. He's since passed away but I know he did see the documentary. I've seen parts of it but I do plan on going back to watch the whole thing.

Oh, sorry about your dad :( Ive watched that show probably 5 times, love it.

In other news sad day for Opportunity. NASA made the call after sending 600 plus wake up messages. 15 years is amazing when they counted on 6-8 months. Thats a huge contribution to science and space knowledge.

www.newscientist.com: Opportunity Mars rover is probably dead after 15-year mission

Starbeak

Born in Space, endlessly exploring star-systems
:cool:

I came from space so of course I am space nerd ^v^

I may not understand all the science talk and jargon related to space but I do like how humans are interested in adventuring out into the cosmos even though Gaia is way behind in it's absolute potential for the residents that reside their to go further than their own galaxy but they will get there.

I am interesting in Ancient Alien Theories and Astral Projection (Which some claim they visited other planets while projecting)...

So space is everywhere and it is where we live and where we are destined to remain. =D

:cool: