• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Space Traveling??

A

Alex K

Anyone read/listened to the book "We Are Legion (We Are Bob)"?

Fun and thought provoking book about space travel and expansion to the stars.

And it's not often you see light-hearted humor mixed with some rather hard sci-fi themes.

Hmmm I think I know what you're talkin about. Ain't it that book the one where it tells you all bout them planets of the earth orbit?

S

Saylor

I think space travel outside of our solar system is impossible at the moment.

To understand why, you have to consider a few things like Einstein's theory of general relativity, the speed of light, biology, etc.

When you say "space travel" the thought that pops up in most peoples' minds is traveling through the final frontier to seek out new worlds on a 5 year journey and to boldly go where no other men have gone before. This is made possible in science fiction by either traveling at ridiculous speeds faster than the speed of light, or through cryogenics.

But, there are a few problems with these ideas of space travel.

The first one is the speed of light. Nothing is capable of exceeding the speed of light. As matter accelerates, it gets more massive. If you were to take a spaceship and accelerate it to be capable of reaching light speed, it would grow more massive and then decelerate as soon as it reached the speed of light. Another effect is that time itself slows down as you get closer to the speed of light until you reach it and at that point, time freezes completely. Cars even have this issue in their computer circuitry because when they are moving at an average speed of 50 mph, time moves fractions of a second slower than what it would if you were at a stop, it's not noticeable to us, but only because the numbers are so incredibly small that it doesn't make that much of an impact in our lives. So, put that into perspective of spaceship flight. You literally couldn't do anything, you wouldn't even be capable of having any thought processing because that is a perameter of time which would be completely frozen while traveling at the speed of light. I know that there are particle accelerators that are capable of getting carbon molecules up to the speed of light which is technically matter. But, even then they can't sustain light speed, so this proves light speed travel to be impossible.

The only thing that is capable of traveling the speed of light would be a light particle which is known as a photon. Some might ask "How about transforming the matter into photons?" Well, you can't really do that either. Photons are energy particles and they have no mass and you can't really turn matter with mass into something that isn't matter and has no mass. And if you were to somehow find a way to do it, you wouldn't even have any concept of anything. And by that, I mean you wouldn't even know that you are something. You wouldn't even know you began or that you were. It would just be a blank emptiness that can only be observed by a person of matter.

This leaves the only possible way to travel through space to be cryogenics. Cryogenics is already being practiced by dozens of people who freeze themselves after they are diagnosed with a terminal illness with hopes of being unfrozen when there is a cure for their disease. They do successfully freeze themselves without damaging any vital nerves or tissues through the "deanimation process." However, scientists have yet to find a way to successfully reanimate an organism after being frozen. So, for now cryogenics is another way to die.

I believe that mankind might be able to launch a mission out to Pluto and back in the next century if the world really came together on it. But, anything outside of the solar system is likely never going to happen.

SSJ3Mewtwo

Hmmm I think I know what you're talkin about. Ain't it that book the one where it tells you all bout them planets of the earth orbit?

No.

Not in the slightest.

S

Saylor

Oh.
Huh...ah remember once readin a book bout how the earth travels at the speed of light but everything else around us doesnt so thats why we have orbit patterns

Matter cannot travel the speed of light. The Earth orbits the sun at 30 km/s and the Sun orbits the center of the Milky Way galaxy at 230 km/s which means the Earth moves at 260 km/s.

The speed of light is 1080 km/s

A

Alex K

Matter cannot travel the speed of light. The Earth orbits the sun at 30 km/s and the Sun orbits the center of the Milky Way galaxy at 230 km/s which means the Earth moves at 260 km/s.

The speed of light is 1080 km/s

But the Sun and all the other planets revolve around the Earth cause havent you ever looked at the planet Moon circlin round us? That means we gotta be goin faster than anyone else if the planets gotta catch up to us

SSJ3Mewtwo

Okay, putting a stop to this.

A

aloveablebunny

I have a great curiosity about the universe and possible existence of life outside of earth. However, the thought of traveling into space terrifies me!

Starbeak

Born in Space, endlessly exploring star-systems
:)

I have this belief that we all came from space and to space we shall return.

Big fan of sci-fi and all thing Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace =3

Dimensions, portals, planets, exo-planets, galaxies, novas, universe(s), stars, black-holes, sun, moon, astrology, astronomy, constellations, and everything in-between. (=

:)

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I'm not sure we'll ever travel to a world outside of our solar system. Our species may go extinct before there is any opportunity or indeed impetus to make interstellar ships.

Some of the comments about possible life in the cosmos confuse me. For example somebody said they thought there would be 'Helium based life' out there somewhere. Helium is a Noble gas with a full outer electron shell; it does not form bonds with other atoms so you can't make structures with it.

If there is life out there it is almost certainly carbon based like us. The essential molecules we are made of- amino acids, nucleotides and polymerised macromolecules, are all assembled out of elements that are reasonably common in the cosmos. Indeed organic molecules analogous to these have already been detected in interstellar dust clouds and in comets, confirming the ubiquity of complex carbon based chemistry in space:

www.esa.int: Rosetta’s comet contains ingredients for life
Complex organic molecule found in interstellar space - BBC News

with current tech the best we can do is a colony ship. It would have to be massive, such as a hollowed out asteroid were many generations could live, reproduce, die and such. Likely propulsion would be ion drives, and gravity assisted sling shooting. Would be kinda sucky for the first few generations though.

Fallowfox

with current tech the best we can do is a colony ship. It would have to be massive, such as a hollowed out asteroid were many generations could live, reproduce, die and such. Likely propulsion would be ion drives, and gravity assisted sling shooting. Would be kinda sucky for the first few generations though.

Breeding would also have to be regimented to avoid inbreeding. e_O

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
Gotta start small with Dyson spheres
Yeah, ((((small)))).

Lets start small by throwing a Dyson's Sphere around Vy Canis Majoris.
That is another way to look at it. We're pretty clueless in the grand scheme of things
We only know about life on our planet. For all we know, life is teeming all across the universe in all kinds of different shapes and forms. For all we know, carbon and water may not be the things that defines life as we start exploring the galaxy.
I think space travel outside of our solar system is impossible at the moment.

To understand why, you have to consider a few things like Einstein's theory of general relativity, the speed of light, biology, etc.

When you say "space travel" the thought that pops up in most peoples' minds is traveling through the final frontier to seek out new worlds on a 5 year journey and to boldly go where no other men have gone before. This is made possible in science fiction by either traveling at ridiculous speeds faster than the speed of light, or through cryogenics.

But, there are a few problems with these ideas of space travel.

The first one is the speed of light. Nothing is capable of exceeding the speed of light. As matter accelerates, it gets more massive. If you were to take a spaceship and accelerate it to be capable of reaching light speed, it would grow more massive and then decelerate as soon as it reached the speed of light. Another effect is that time itself slows down as you get closer to the speed of light until you reach it and at that point, time freezes completely. Cars even have this issue in their computer circuitry because when they are moving at an average speed of 50 mph, time moves fractions of a second slower than what it would if you were at a stop, it's not noticeable to us, but only because the numbers are so incredibly small that it doesn't make that much of an impact in our lives. So, put that into perspective of spaceship flight. You literally couldn't do anything, you wouldn't even be capable of having any thought processing because that is a perameter of time which would be completely frozen while traveling at the speed of light. I know that there are particle accelerators that are capable of getting carbon molecules up to the speed of light which is technically matter. But, even then they can't sustain light speed, so this proves light speed travel to be impossible.

The only thing that is capable of traveling the speed of light would be a light particle which is known as a photon. Some might ask "How about transforming the matter into photons?" Well, you can't really do that either. Photons are energy particles and they have no mass and you can't really turn matter with mass into something that isn't matter and has no mass. And if you were to somehow find a way to do it, you wouldn't even have any concept of anything. And by that, I mean you wouldn't even know that you are something. You wouldn't even know you began or that you were. It would just be a blank emptiness that can only be observed by a person of matter.

This leaves the only possible way to travel through space to be cryogenics. Cryogenics is already being practiced by dozens of people who freeze themselves after they are diagnosed with a terminal illness with hopes of being unfrozen when there is a cure for their disease. They do successfully freeze themselves without damaging any vital nerves or tissues through the "deanimation process." However, scientists have yet to find a way to successfully reanimate an organism after being frozen. So, for now cryogenics is another way to die.

I believe that mankind might be able to launch a mission out to Pluto and back in the next century if the world really came together on it. But, anything outside of the solar system is likely never going to happen.
A theory is a theory. And theories are often wrong and/or incomplete.

Until someone or something comes along and prove it. Our current understanding of physics and quantum mechanics say it's impossible to go faster than light. Our CURRENT understanding, that is. Nothing is certain, not even our knowledge is certain, as it's expanding daily.

Fallowfox

Yeah, ((((small)))).

Lets start small by throwing a Dyson's Sphere around Vy Canis Majoris.

We only know about life on our planet. For all we know, life is teeming all across the universe in all kinds of different shapes and forms. For all we know, carbon and water may not be the things that defines life as we start exploring the galaxy.

A theory is a theory. And theories are often wrong and/or incomplete.

Until someone or something comes along and prove it. Our current understanding of physics and quantum mechanics say it's impossible to go faster than light. Our CURRENT understanding, that is. Nothing is certain, not even our knowledge is certain, as it's expanding daily.

Water is the most common molecule in the Universe, carbon is also common and can create more compounds than any other element on the periodic table, so I think it is very likely that almost all life in the cosmos will be carbon based and require water.

Saylor is correct that you cannot break light speed as much as a hot pie from the oven will warm up if you sit on your window sill, instead of cooling down; it is the nature of reality.

No further discoveries will mean that the laws of thermodynamics change and no further discoveries will change the universal speed limit.

There do exist 'cheats' however, such as warping the fabric of space around a ship, such as the Alcubierre drive, but these would require substantial amounts of negative mass. Alcubierre drive - Wikipedia

This is not true 'faster than light travel' because the ship doesn't actually move faster than light relative to the warped space it sits in.