• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Spankings... yay or nay?

Spankings?

• Bad idea (why?)

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Good idea (why?)

Votes: 57 71.3%

• Total voters

coolkidex

Hug a wolf today!
I didnt vote because for many kids, i'm sure spanking dosn't do anything.
My dad literally hit me, and i use to fight back, but i did not change one bit.

Why would spanking do anything?

Thatch

Still not at 10k posts

because there's a line when it's not punishment and becomes abuse. And people, even kids, fight back when they feel they didn't earn what abuse they get. Unless you're one of the inheritely narcistic people who think that they should not recieve punishment nevermind what they do, because they're just that important. Then it's your problem.

Rytes

Click Here
fuck spankings, you gotta make that child of yours fear YOU and only YOU. as soon at the child is born you gotta catch him and say "IM YOUR DADDY (or mommy), DON:T YOU START NO SHIT, I WILL FUCK YOU UP!!!"

i got spankings too and im proud of that... cuz my pops is a buff dude.. he.. will fuck..me..up.. if i ever do something bad

Bellini Tabloid

whatcha say? that's cool...
fuck spankings, you gotta make that child of yours fear YOU and only YOU. as soon at the child is born you gotta catch him and say "IM YOUR DADDY (or mommy), DON:T YOU START NO SHIT, I WILL FUCK YOU UP!!!"

i got spankings too and im proud of that... cuz my pops is a buff dude.. he.. will fuck..me..up.. if i ever do something bad

The japanese dress up as demons (Oni), to scare the hell out of the neighboring children. They use this as a threat, but it keeps them in line alright. They treat it, like it's Halloween over there.

Kaiit

The reason why it's effective with children and not with animals, is because children fear pain but also understand WHY they're getting punished.

So do animals. I not only study cat behavior but train my own and know for a fact they know what they've done wrong when they do it. Hitting my cat, however, would not solve the problem but rather make the cat see me as a predator or associate me with pain.

The same can apply to children. Perhaps this is just where most people from either side are missing each others' points, but when I was hit for saying a word I didn't even know was a "bad word", I stopped wanting to speak to my parents altogther.

Also, as a Brit, I know most of these off-the-rail hooligan kids that hang around to cause trouble often have extremely abusive parents, as opposed to not being hit at all.

Rytes

Click Here
because there's a line when it's not punishment and becomes abuse. And people, even kids, fight back when they feel they didn't earn what abuse they get. Unless you're one of the inheritely narcistic people who think that they should not recieve punishment nevermind what they do, because they're just that important. Then it's your problem.

your pretty much right. there's punishment and there's abuse, if you fight back then you're not treating it as punishment and your pops should have beaten sense into you when you were younger ;). it's all about conditioning.

something is wrong if you trash the family car for some dumb reason, you go to your room with no guilt, your pops smacks you and you two get into a fisticuffs. he hits...cuz he loves you

Rytes

Click Here
The reason why it's effective with children and not with animals, is because children fear pain but also understand WHY they're getting punished.

i simply have to raise my hand and my dog will know INSTANTLY not to shit on the fucking carpet. i can say the words "did you shit on the carpet?" and he hids under my bed. now she knows and will bark and whine at me to let her outside

SnowFox

The same can apply to children. Perhaps this is just where most people from either side are missing each others' points, but when I was hit for saying a word I didn't even know was a "bad word", I stopped wanting to speak to my parents altogther.

I remember getting into trouble for the odd swearword that I didn't know was a swearword and a hand gesture that I didn't think meant anything. I remember my dad kept interrogating me to find out who "taught" me it and in the end reduced me to tears and made me invent a story about how someone at school told me. LOL parents.

lilEmber

Small Dragon

Clearly you weren't hit hard enough, or are just too stupid to feel pain and understand the concept of pain occurring if you do something you're not suppose to do.
Tell me, have you ever touched something hot and then realized never to touch it again, or are you just covered in burns and cuts?

Aryeonos

Gimme Back My Post Count!
I find that is a good second to last resort idea. I won't work if used in excess like lots of things but when a child is rely out of hand, not listening, and has their own idea who is boss, then sure a couple smacks on the behind works. But when used way to often it can rely F*** a child up, because it would change the child's view on how their parents think of them but how they treat others. Pretty standard psychoanalytical stuff rely. But if propper conditioning on behavoral aspects early in life should help prevent this from being necessary latter in life; but again, parenting is hard and so is being a child. It's a situational punishment, not all purpose solvent.

Veekahr

I wasnt really scared of spankings as a child.
It did a lot to my self esteem, because my Dad would beat me, anyways.
Spanking was done when I had done something wrong, but when something was REALLY wrong, I'd get hit everywhere else on my body, too.
Spankings were preferred - they didnt hurt as much, and I knew I wasnt in as much trouble as I could be.

Thatch

Still not at 10k posts
So do animals. I not only study cat behavior but train my own and know for a fact they know what they've done wrong when they do it. Hitting my cat, however, would not solve the problem but rather make the cat see me as a predator or associate me with pain.

Also, as a Brit, I know most of these off-the-rail hooligan kids that hang around to cause trouble often have extremely abusive parents, as opposed to not being hit at all.

See below and my previous post.

Any punishment doesn't work if the kid (though it applies to animals as well) doesn't feel it deserved it and/or if it's more severe that earned. Abused people mostly fight back or break. With a kid who's psyche is only forming, neither is good.
But used reasonably, spanking most likely is the most effective countermeasure against unwanted behaviour, until the kid grows up enough to reason for itself.

Though I won't say it's totally neccesary. My cousing and her husband rised their kids to be absolutely obidient to them, so they don't have to punish them. Just being angry or dissapointed is enough to make them feel bad about what they did (though it also has it's drawbacks - if you're just angry and snap at your kid, it then falls under 'undeserved punishment' and makes it either rebelous or depressed)

Of course as always it's fun and dandy in theory. I guess any parent will say that theories are worth shit and you just have to rise a kid as you can. Even experience can fail. My parents had my two brothers before and managed to rised them normally, and yet they failed at rising me in certian ways.

i simply have to raise my hand and my dog will know INSTANTLY not to shit on the fucking carpet. i can say the words "did you shit on the carpet?" and he hids under my bed. now she knows and will bark and whine at me to let her outside

Well, that's called conditioning. But I just meant that in overall it's not a good method of rising a dog, because while you can explain to a kid what it has done wrong, a dog will just form a pattern 'object-action-your anger' without understanding it. And if the pattern doesn't add up, the dog can grow paranoid.
I guess the same goes for kids if you DON'T explain, but that is not what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Jack

good idea, for the most part. I got the belt a few times when I was little, and I learned my lesson the first time around. every time.
just use in moderation.

Zseliq

Spankings only causes fear and fear-based agression. You must use time outs and positive reinforcements to properly train children. B)

I am miffed that people actualy think spanking a dog will break him of bad habits. Your dog is NOT cowering becaue he knows he did wrong he is cowering because your voice infliction and your energy means you are about to hit her for reasons she does not understand.

Sorry I almost went all dog-rescuer-person an ya'll. lol

Last edited:
T

Tycho

No point in smacking a dog. Their minds don't work like that. You would have to actually catch them in the act for a swat on the nose with a newspaper to mean a damn thing.

But kids are different. They ARE. They can understand things dogs cannot. You must remember that while that dog may be the smartest damn dog you've ever seen, a 7 year old blasts him out of the water as far as intelligence and comprehension go. They're on two entirely different levels of consciousness for fuck's sake. Sentience and sapience.

Thatch

Still not at 10k posts
I guess there is a consensus here - smack the children, be nice to animals :)

T

Tycho

I guess there is a consensus here - smack the children, be nice to animals :)

That's oversimplifying it. Not so much "be nice to animals" as understand that their minds work in a different matter from a 7 year old human child's. Their discipline must be handled somewhat differently as well.

Zseliq

I guess there is a consensus here - smack the children, be nice to animals
lol Exactly.

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
I need explanation behind this action of the spanking(s) other than that, I'm like WHY?

Rytes

Click Here
I need explanation behind this action of the spanking(s) other than that, I'm like WHY?

don't fucking question me! *smacks*

now do you understand? i only hit you cuz i love you

Thatch

Still not at 10k posts
That's oversimplifying it. Not so much "be nice to animals" as understand that their minds work in a different matter from a 7 year old human child's. Their discipline must be handled somewhat differently as well.

I already wrote a long srs post. I get to oversimplify now :D

No. My mom didn't believe in it either. It teaches kids that violence is the only solution, which is a message they don't need to be learning, especially from their parents.

No it doesn't. Indescriminate violence does, not punishment. That's like saying children who's parents are gay will always be gay or if their parents are skinny soccer players the kids will be sport gurus. Punishment is punishment. If used correctly, it doesn't turn the child violent. It just teaches them that if they do something bad they will be punished.

It's a way for lazy fucking parents (usually drunks or crackheads) to get out of having to actually raise their kids.

Ya, you were never spanked and you sound like a model citizen....