• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Species and other tags

KaputOtter

Hi. :)

While you guys are revising the filter system, I'd like to suggest that you overhaul the species lists as well. It's been frustrating for some of us to upload because we can't categorize our work as well as we'd like, and that makes it harder to search for things, too.

I reccomend against having a list of species that is too specific, for example: fox, wolf, skunk, cat, etc.

Instead, I reccomend something like this:
------------------

Mammals
--------
canine/lupine/vulpine (these tags can be consolidated or seperated, I can't decide which would be better...)
feline
mustelid
mephit
mongoose
raccoon
hyena
viverrid
bear

This will enable users to effectively categorize *ANY* picture of *ANY* kind of mammal. I believe the only mammallian class that's missing is Euplerida, which includes Malagasy fossas and mongooses. Personally I'd love to see that thrown in there because I'm fossa-biased, but, you know, it probably won't be that commonly used except by me and a few other fossa enthusiasts. ;D

It will *ALSO* help inspire people to draw pictures of OTHER KINDS OF ANIMALS FOR ONCE, since they'll see what else is available to them. Wink wink nudge nudge. YAAAAAAAY different animals.

Anywho, the list continues! :

Other
------
reptile
bird
human
fish
amphibian
fantasy -- dragons
fantasy -- miscellaneous
insect
invertebrate
non-animal

Seeing as how dragons are so very popular, it follows that they should probably have a tag all their own, and anything else can be lumped into miscellaneous.

Non-animal obviously encompasses all imagery that does not have a human or animal subject at all. But this is specific to imagery, not writing/music.

What do you all think?

Aquin

Haunted
Since you guys have "Alligator" you need to have a "Crocodile" tag along with it. Gators and crocs are similar, but they arnt the same. Id really like to see that option in the next update.

Alevva

Well, this too has been a HUGE thing for me. Surprising to most, there's no rabbit in the list! XD And yes, being a bunny... that's quite frustrating~
But anyway, seeing as there'll probably be no species list, this comment is deemed void! *dance*

Edit: Oh, and also. I agree with you on people trying out different animals for once. Always great to see something new and refreshing! Elephants anyone? >o>

Emerson

FYI I am a SPY.
Alevva said:
Well, this too has been a HUGE thing for me. Surprising to most, there's no rabbit in the list! XD And yes, being a bunny... that's quite frustrating~
But anyway, seeing as there'll probably be no species list, this comment is deemed void! *dance*

Edit: Oh, and also. I agree with you on people trying out different animals for once. Always great to see something new and refreshing! Elephants anyone? >o>

Yes, yes. Why for are there no bunnies? Do not discriminate against them, for their tails are cute and fluffy.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
In the new version, as i see it now (but that can change, of course) there will be only two "properties" applied the submission.

Dropdowns, genders, species and keywords will be set by tags.
Theme (category) will be set by the "category" property, which will be used by filters, and will attempt to classify all art, somehow.

The idea is still quite fuzzy, and most certainly has a lot of flaws and shortcomings, but it looks pretty good so far.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
Aquin said:
Since you guys have "Alligator" you need to have a "Crocodile" tag along with it. Gators and crocs are similar, but they arnt the same. Id really like to see that option in the next update.
Same here:evil::evil:

Daniel Kay

Scalie love
I have a small sugestion to that... if you replace so much with custom tags have something like a "tag-check" meaning you see if others entered your tag already and how often it was used and maybe a list of pre-deffined tags similar to the surrent ones... that way it could reduce the risk of accidentaly messing up a tag (typo for example) and not showing up during a search

N3X15

Daniel Kay said:
I have a small sugestion to that... if you replace so much with custom tags have something like a "tag-check" meaning you see if others entered your tag already and how often it was used and maybe a list of pre-deffined tags similar to the surrent ones... that way it could reduce the risk of accidentaly messing up a tag (typo for example) and not showing up during a search

You mean like a spellchecking system? Hmm... Good idea.

uncia2000

N3X15 said:
You mean like a spellchecking system? Hmm... Good idea.

Well, not just spellchecking, n3x, since you won't find "chakat" in there, but you might wish to suggest pre-existing "chakat" instead of "chakittie" or "chakut", should someone input those.
Need to be careful not to bloat the submissions process too much though, IMHO. Manual tweaking/re-aligning could easily be done by submissions editors should they have access to suitable tools. (OK, I know you could implement sweet auto-hinting, too, if you so desired, but that's by-the-by! ;))

02c, only. :)

SilvaNoir

I'm all for a more general drop-down list description for species.  For instance, I draw a bird that isn't an eagle or phoenix, but those are my only option for the dropdown list.    Being able to select only "bird, reptile, rodent, canine, feline, equine" etc would be better, and then use the custom tags to be more specific.

Daniel Kay

Scalie love
Well my idea was kinda like a spellcheck system BUT user controlled... lets say a tag was already used 10 times, when you enter a similar tag that one is suggested to you and maybe if it was used 100 times it´s added to the pre-set list you can chose tags from... you dont HAVE to pick one from the list so you can still have your custom tags and you can chose as many as you like of course

It might be a good idea to have drop down list for taurs as well, with a sub list that allows you to choose the type... as well as adding gryphon to the mix, because it seems gryphons are more common than most bird anthros.

Growly

Rouge2 said:
What we really need is Story Tags.

Lemon, Lime, and Clean.

Humor me for a minute... I've heard of a lemon, but what's a lime?
Are you trying to sell me a soft drink?

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
Growly said:
Rouge2 said:
What we really need is Story Tags.

Lemon, Lime, and Clean.

I hope they don't have Cherry. I hated Cherry Coke.

uncia2000

Bokracroc said:
Growly said:

I hope they don't have Cherry. I hated Cherry Coke.

Cherry pop? No, that's not one of the traditional "flavors". Which says a lot, I guess...

Grapefruit and orange ya can probably work out.

lemons, limes, cherries, oranges and grapefruits?! sounds like a recipe for ghetto fruit loops if yah ask me.....mayhaps some coconut too?

Rouge2

Lemons are stories that goes in depth on sex scenes.

Limes are soft-core, doesn't go in depth on sex.

My idea would give writers a catagory to post under and even let people search for stories.

Hanazawa

Would Like To Play a Game
and I already explained, Rouge2, that you don't NEED "lemon, lime and clean" tags, because "adult, mature, and general" already cover that. In terms everyone already understands, no less.