• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Species List Update

Cherokee_Cory

Village Idiot
I think they should increase Gender options next, myself. :U
Then maybe make an amalgamation of the 'browse' and 'search' tools for even easier searching.
Unless this has already been discussed, I mean, I don't really come on the forums. :p

Volkodav

Dad****er
I think they should increase Gender options next, myself. :U
Then maybe make an amalgamation of the 'browse' and 'search' tools for even easier searching.
Unless this has already been discussed, I mean, I don't really come on the forums. :p
That could be cool

Male
Female
Herm
Transgender
Genderqueer
No..gender.. I duno the word atm

virus

TROLLUS MAXIMUS
Why is 'Tanuki' in with all the imaginary species under 'Exotic'?
I have proof that they DO exist

While raccoon dogs are the real thing, and although tanuki is what its phonetic is in japanese. Tanuki is more commonly referred to as the mystical one who shapeshifts and whatnot.

Also. FINALLY. NO MORE SHARKS IN MY CETACEAN-GENERAL.

Volkodav

Dad****er
While raccoon dogs are the real thing, and although tanuki is what its phonetic is in japanese. Tanuki is more commonly referred to as the mystical one who shapeshifts and whatnot.

Also. FINALLY. NO MORE SHARKS IN MY CETACEAN-GENERAL.
Tanuki is the Japanese word for Raccoon Dog, but Tanukis/Raccoon dogs are in folklore. They are called Tanukis in folklore because the folklore originates from Japan :p
They also have awesome, unique fur.. *owns a tanuki tail*
it's like.. it's uniform with no stray hairs, but the hairs curve and bend however without disrupting the smooth texture. Not like a fox or coyote's tail which has straight hairs

Hazel-roo

Chocolate Fuzzy Feets
Mammals need to be sorted to the top of the list. I hate scrolling all the way down towards the bottom for rabbit. Something simple now takes extra time because you wanted to appease a minority of people. Their species shouldn't be at the top of the list.

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
Mammals need to be sorted to the top of the list. I hate scrolling all the way down towards the bottom for rabbit. Something simple now takes extra time because you wanted to appease a minority of people. Their species shouldn't be at the top of the list.

you mad bro?

Tiger In A Tie

Say what now?

Tigers need to be at the top because of their sheer superiority in the animal kingdom.

Paint

The reptile category is a mess. In some cases its only making room for certain sub groups that fall under the same group. Silly stuff! It's an easy fix, though.

Reptiles-
Snakes
Lizards
Crocodilians
Chelonians
Tuatara if you want to get really specific, since they are not any of the above, and/or just Reptile Other

Entire problem solved. Efficient categories. Few in number. All modern reptiles are represented. Nobody looks like a fool for posting a caiman under alligator or gets questioned when they put it under Reptilian - Other. No frustrations to be had by the artist or art browsers. Also seriously, reptilian? Just say reptile, don't be scared. The word won't bite.

Nice short list, doesn't add too much, and covers everyone who would need to use the category correctly. Considering Gecko and Iguana are categories rather than just listing 5 basic things that encompass all, though, I guess people want fancier? It adds a lot more to break up the list and everyone seems to want to keep it simple, but just in case, here's a suggestion:
Crocodilian - Crocodiles
Crocodilian - Alligators
Crocodilian - Caimen
Crocodilian - Gharial or Other

Snake - Boids which covers pythons and boas, or alternatively
Snake - Python
Snake - Boa
Snake - Colubrids
Snake - Other Since beyond those first 3 groups, waters get murky and groups get tiny.

Chelonian - Turtle
Chelonian - Tortoise
Chelonian - Terrapin

Lizard - General/Other
Lizard - Gecko
Lizard - Iguana
Lizard - Agamid
Lizard - Varanid
Lizard - Chameleon

Yaaaay everything where it belongs with some fancy elaboration! As a primarily reptile artist who only really likes to browse under the reptile categories, first set of categories please. No, really. Please :(

Last edited: