• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Spreading a new species around.

I'd also point out on the biology standpoint, the 'armored ribcage' thing. There's a reason we don't have overly solidified ribcages, and that's because we need to be able to breathe. Ribs are all built to allow for expansion with inhaling, so have to have a degree of soft, rubbery tissue of you don't want your creatures to keel over and suffocate on exerting itself.

The creature in my avatar I designed for an animation project,(though the picture in question was drawn by a much better artist rather than my scratchy efforts) it wasn't something I was specifically out to spread around or get others to use, but for my own usage for making him move, designing environments, working out a story and such it took an awful lot of work and constant criticism and refinement. The design took god knows how many almost total overhauls. That is to say, if people are already so heavily comparing the design, then you many have to rethink it.

And even then with my creature design effort it was never really designed for the fandom, so never needed to 'compete' so to speak. I'm not holding it up as a great example, but I'm just trying to explain how much refinement creature designs tend to go through before they get the all clear.

If it isn't capturing people's imagination off that bat, than rather than trying to shoehorn the issue, perhaps get re-hauling.

Tiamat

Sex nuts and retard strong
Banned
Some great points have been made in this thread.

To the OP, why do you think people would want to embrace your design? Where is the appeal?

I'd recommend doing some research into conceptual creature design. Picking up books like the incredible "Winston Effect" and "Imaginative Realism" could do wonders for you.

117fejo.jpg
hry4c7.jpg

Doing some studies of functional real world anatomy would also strongly be to your advantage.

Brazen

Terrorist Scum
Here's the first book he should read

Bible-ASV-American-Standard-Version.jpg

Seriously, beg for the Lord's forgiveness before you mock his creations like that again.

Ricky

To the OP, why do you think people would want to embrace your design? Where is the appeal?

That's my main gripe with this thread. It's not "hey, I want to make something great" but rather "hey, I want to create a meme and everybody to love it." The motivating force doesn't sit well with me. When I read between the lines I see someone who wants to become popular as opposed to someone who wants to contribute. Anyone who turns furry into popularity contest really needs to reassess their priorities.

There were definitely good points made in this thread though, and lots of valuable information like the books you mentioned.

(I don't know anything about them, but still...)

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
I like biologically sound critters. Oh, it has horns and tusk? Why. Why in its environment are they needed. If it just has horns because it looks good, well thats cool I guess but its more interesting to see the evolutionary reason it has them. Oh your sona is 8 feet tall and has gigantic fingers? Cool I had no idea they dug out bugs from tall trees with their fingers like an aye-aye.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Looking more at it, there needs to be more of a solid muscle and bone structure for the hips and legs to help support the upper body. You should look at more prehistoric animals "before" the Jurassic period to get a general idea.

I have a new species. A dekranor! It's an anthro wolftaur with ram horns which are curled. They have no pupil, lines texture their fur which glow a colour according to their spiritual take e.g Soul(Green, eats souls) Heart(Pinky red,Eats hearts of lovers) and Emotive(Blue,Feeds of emotion)

Tiamat

Banned
I made a new species. An Arums-Ye. Its like a wolf, but it has wings and horns and looks like a dinosaur.

Deo

The hatred of FAF personified
I have a new species, it's a wolf, but get this, it has hands. Human hands. And it can talk and think like a person. Damn I am so good at this.

Furryjones

I take all constructive criticism to account, don't think I'm not listening to your advice. I can see I do have some flaws in the overall design of my creature, but all in all I'm happy with it, and in the end that's all that matters right? And I guess I mislabeled the thread by accident, I just created this species basically for myself and I just wanted to spread it around to see what other people thought about it.

Deo

I take all constructive criticism to account, don't think I'm not listening to your advice.
Some people actually went out of their way to give you advice and books, the least you can do is personally acknowledge/respond to them rather than some ubiquitous blanket statement of passive-aggressive-thanks.

I'm happy with it, and in the end that's all that matters right?
That depends. If this was a creature concept for anything other than pure self-indulgence it would be failing miserably. Or if it was something that had to be designed with biology, anatomy, shapes/silhouette in mind then it would also be a failure. Since it's your personal joy-ride in the world of furry, enjoy your design-masturbation.

IAnd I guess I mislabeled the thread by accident, I just created this species basically for myself and I just wanted to spread it around to see what other people thought about it.
Please, back track faster. But I doubt you can eat your words fast enough to forget you precisely asking us for advice on how to make other people want to use your characters and how best to spread your species (even citing the rising popularity of sergals.)

Ricky

That depends. If this was a creature concept for anything other than pure self-indulgence it would be failing miserably. Or if it was something that had to be designed with biology, anatomy, shapes/silhouette in mind then it would also be a failure. Since it's your personal joy-ride in the world of furry, enjoy your design-masturbation.

Oh, come on... Something you create doesn't have to be perfect in order for it to make you happy.

I could criticize the art but I couldn't do any better myself. Actually, I would do much worse. Art isn't my forte, I just enjoy appreciating it. I'm a perfectionist and when I tried my hand at drawing I didn't like anything I did. At least the person in question is motivated and could get really good if they listen to advice and keep at it.

Deo

Oh, come on... Something you create doesn't have to be perfect in order for it to make you happy.

I could criticize the art but I couldn't do any better myself. Actually, I would do much worse. Art isn't my forte, I just enjoy appreciating it. I'm a perfectionist and when I tried my hand at drawing I didn't like anything I did. At least the person in question is motivated and could get really good if they listen to advice and keep at it.
While this is true I was talking about the merits of it as an original creature concept design, not as "this is my fursona and I wuv him". And improvement is definitely possible for everyone who tries hard, art is only dedication and practice after all.

Furryjones

I'd also point out on the biology standpoint, the 'armored ribcage' thing. There's a reason we don't have overly solidified ribcages, and that's because we need to be able to breathe. Ribs are all built to allow for expansion with inhaling, so have to have a degree of soft, rubbery tissue of you don't want your creatures to keel over and suffocate on exerting itself.

I guess i should have gone into further detail, the bones of the ribs overlap with a small plate of bone. Think like the scales of a fish, The first pair of ribs rest over top of the second, and so on and so forth. Still allows for the ribcage to flex when they breathe and offers some added protection to their major organs.

Furryjones

So for those of you that took the time to read the Guide, what would seem to be the greatest areas that need a rework? I've gotten very mixed reviews from people all over the place. Some have said to stop and let it sit for awhile because its good enough, others have given me very negative reviews. As for where I stand I'm quite happy with the creature I've created.

Tiamat

Banned