• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Starting a series, looking for Readers!

Hi there! Call me Kess!

So, a few things to note: I'm not wholly looking for input on the subject itself. The stories I'm writing are more or less planned out, or will change depending on the mood I'm in when I get around to them.

What I will say is this: I'm writing a potentially expansive series of short stories centering around transformation (TFs) as a whole, including NSFW content of a non violent nature. It'll follow my protagonist the the newly changing world around her. I don't want to spoil too much, but it is set in the modern age, and involved a lot of fantasy, mythical creatures, and transformation of a magical nature.

What I want to know: How long is too long?

I could break the introduction down into installments, as it's growing to be rather long without being rambling. I like stories with backbone, but I worry that the general attention span might not appreciate it. I will be uploading each entry to my FA page when they're written, dictate spoilers/teasers in my journal, and so on, buuuutttt... I dunno. As it stands, the intro is just starting and it, itself, doesn't contain any of the more desirable content, if you will.. I'm loving it, but I don't want to chase off potential viewers by the sheer length of it.

So, thoughts? Opinions? Well wishes? Anything would be appreciated.
Thank you so much for your time!

Edit;; I uh, decided to just upload it. I hope you can read it here and maybe give me your ideas. Actually finishing and submitting something felt good enough on its own, so... cheers! Rebirth and Resurgence - Intro

Last edited:

Good Boy Avery

Level 28 Good Boy
Honestly just started my own stories myself, lol, this is a really good question. I'd assume that if someone's browsing stories, they're intending to dedicate their time to something they find that they like. That being said, as a reader, for shorter stories i tend to like between 5-10 pages. But this could be different for everyone.

Hoping others weigh in on this, I'd like to know a little more on this subject as well.

Honestly just started my own stories myself, lol, this is a really good question. I'd assume that if someone's browsing stories, they're intending to dedicate their time to something they find that they like. That being said, as a reader, for shorter stories i tend to like between 5-10 pages. But this could be different for everyone.

Hoping others weigh in on this, I'd like to know a little more on this subject as well.
Yeah, I just don't know. There are times when I just want to get to the 'meatier' bits, you know? So the actual content-centric stories are going to be 'shorter' I think. Just... this 'introduction' post is getting... long. xD

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
This is kind of a nebulous question, like what do you consider an expensive meal. The answer is very subjective. If I am poor, $5 might be expensive. If I am rich, $500 might be my limit. I have written a small number of things and even had some published. I'm in the midst of writing a novel right now. How long is too long? That is entirely up to you. If you feel a story is too long, maybe you should set it aside for use as a novella or even a novel. I am a printer. I have seen publishers create booklets entirely out of stories that were theme based and between 99 and 101 WORDS each. It just depends upon your values. I have written many stories for Furry convention books and have created nice stories that were between 500 and 1500 words. Short stories are generally between 5,000 and 10,000 words. Flash fiction can be as short as 500 words. These aren't hard and fast rules, but just general guidelines.To put this in perspective, a letter size sheet with one inch margins and 12 point Times New Roman font has about 500 words.

Thanks to the few of you who commented. I edited the OP to include a link to the story I posted. I hope you'll give it a read!