• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Staying positive and patient in these sucky times?

Connor J. Coyote

The ¥oteƵer Extraordinaire
Perhaps try a therapist? Or - take up a new hobby? Take up home cooking and perhaps hone in - on your culinary skills maybe? Take periodic walks in the park, or the beach, or - even in the nearby woods once and a while? Catch up on your reading interests perhaps - (like: novels, trade journals, reference books, etc.)? Maybe try your hand at poetry? Maybe take up some amateur astronomy?

Hmm.... these are a few of the things that I can think of, off hand - that comes off the top of my head.... and, there's tons more ideas out there, that are like this. (So, my advice is) - think a little bit about more of some type of hobbies that you may like to take up - and then, try your hand at some new things..... (it may give you some more positivity right now, and also - help to cure whatever blues that one has.... you never know - (until you try)..... right?

FlooferWoofer

Depressed. Going back into lurk mode.
Therapy DOES help, but those are limited mostly to zoom type meetings and only once a week. Otherwise, there's always chocolate therapy or fap for a little instant gratification. Maybe buy a video game to lose your worries in? Otherwise try a walk through somewhere secluded. A park walk or nature walk will relax you and help remind you that no matter what is going on in the news, the world around you isn't burning down.

Weirdo9018

Artist?
Therapy DOES help, but those are limited mostly to zoom type meetings and only once a week. Otherwise, there's always chocolate therapy or fap for a little instant gratification. Maybe buy a video game to lose your worries in? Otherwise try a walk through somewhere secluded. A park walk or nature walk will relax you and help remind you that no matter what is going on in the news, the world around you isn't burning down.
I would buy some happiness but I was laid off by my job recently :p

Kinare

RAWR
Distraction.

For me personally, if I let the bad thoughts in and give them a chance to sink in, there goes my entire day pretty much. If I can catch myself before letting them sink in and have a positive distraction, I try to let that distraction take hold instead. Whether that's a game, show, talking to a friend, taking a walk, anything. Even if that activity is not that long, it can break the cycle of bad thoughts and I don't lose my day to depression.

So in your case, I don't really know what's going on, but using your example of loss of motivation for art lately I'd say try to focus on something else for a bit. Don't hyperfocus on the fact that you wish you had motivation for art and then try to force yourself. Believe it or not, it's not helping you to fret over it! Let yourself come back to drawing as you feel the motivation. Heck, maybe even try something new if you can't think of anything old to go back to.

Weirdo9018

Artist?
Distraction.

For me personally, if I let the bad thoughts in and give them a chance to sink in, there goes my entire day pretty much. If I can catch myself before letting them sink in and have a positive distraction, I try to let that distraction take hold instead. Whether that's a game, show, talking to a friend, taking a walk, anything. Even if that activity is not that long, it can break the cycle of bad thoughts and I don't lose my day to depression.

So in your case, I don't really know what's going on, but using your example of loss of motivation for art lately I'd say try to focus on something else for a bit. Don't hyperfocus on the fact that you wish you had motivation for art and then try to force yourself. Believe it or not, it's not helping you to fret over it! Let yourself come back to drawing as you feel the motivation. Heck, maybe even try something new if you can't think of anything old to go back to.
That’s some great advice thank you

MagnusLucra

Magnus Lucra - BUSINESS WOLF
1. Get a piece of paper.
2. Write a schedule for 1 week. Use a 1:1 ratio of self improvement, to self enjoyment.
3. Write a meal plan for 1 week. Focus on cheap.
4. Breath.
5. Worship this new paper, submit yourself to it's power.
6. Follow the instructions for remainder of week.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Watch the human centipede and be glad you're not stiched to another person's ass. Puts things in perspective.
There are furries who would pay good money to be stitched to somebody's butt.

KippLink

LVL 1 Magic Apprentice
Well realistically theres not really much you can do apart from keeping yourself entertained at home or go for a walk through your local park. I spent most time catching up with films and music that i normally didnt have time for when i used to do the whole work>home - home>work routine. But i quickly gone through all that within like first month so about two-three months ago i started drawing which i never ever did before. This is another idea is to try something you always wanted to try and may discover your new passion.

FaroraSF

I've had to set myself certain hours which I'm not allowed to play video games in. So far its been working pretty well, although I think I need to apply the same rules to browsing reddit.

Bob Rover

Banned
Banned
i'd say i'm pretty good at staying positive if left to my own devices.

it kinda works similar to being bored. leave alone long enough with my own thoughts and i'll cheer myself up.

funny it tends to go the other way with most people.

problem is when people turn up with an agenda to put you down and make you upset.

i'm so glad the few friends i have are so good for that.

Connor J. Coyote

The ¥oteƵer Extraordinaire
Perhaps try a therapist? Or - take up a new hobby? Take up home cooking and perhaps hone in - on your culinary skills maybe? Take periodic walks in the park, or the beach, or - even in the nearby woods once and a while? Catch up on your reading interests perhaps - (like: novels, trade journals, reference books, etc.)? Maybe try your hand at poetry? Maybe take up some amateur astronomy?

Hmm.... these are a few of the things that I can think of, off hand - that comes off the top of my head.... and, there's tons more ideas out there, that are like this. (So, my advice is) - think a little bit about more of some type of hobbies that you may like to take up - and then, try your hand at some new things..... (it may give you some more positivity right now, and also - help to cure whatever blues that one has.... you never know - (until you try)..... right?
Actually - (if one can afford it), there's always those kinds of "mail order clubs" out there that exist, as well.... (that I've been thinking of joining lately myself), actually.

*(Things like) - "Book of the Month" clubs, or "Dessert of the Month" clubs, and that sort of thing.... and - (even though the lockdowns are still happening, in many places) - it can be an interesting and entertaining thing to engage in (and possibly enjoy), I think.... as almost all of it is done online, (or via mail order).

And those can be a good cure for one's moods maybe, also. *(They can be a bit pricey though).... and so - if one's money is tight, (and for a lot of people it is right now) - then, it may not be a good viable option.

But..... there are some clubs out there that I looked at - that are rather affordable, (like about $100 or so, per year) - and, there's some others I saw - (that can run about $250 to $450 or so, per year) - for the more "higher end" kinds of clubs..... and those can be done via a "pay-as-you go" option, as well..... (where - you just pay a monthly bill, if you decide to ship that month's item to you).

It's probably debateable whether the cost is worth it or not (TBH); but....one can always try it for a month or two.... and see if they get anything positive out of it.

My go to tips are. Have coffee since stimulants can help the areas that are weak in depressed brains, Avoid social media BS since much of it is people who think there only ones with issues, avoid any stress/triggers.

Yakamaru

Darn tootin'
Patience is a virtue, and a virtue worth having in my opinion. Someone who waits does not wait in vain. I have plenty of time to go around.

As for staying positive having good friends makes it so much easier, especially when you have a lot of crap going on in your life.