• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Steve Irwin legacy vs. PETA

insertgenericnamehere1

Any of you guys heard about the PETA tweets against Steve Irwin? Apparently it' starting a whole storm online. Any thoughts or opinions? Open to all ideas and perspectives here.

Here's the quote:
"#SteveIrwin was killed while harassing a ray; he dangled his baby while feeding a crocodile & wrestled wild animals who were minding their own business. Today’s #GoogleDoodle sends a dangerous, fawning message. Wild animals are entitled to be left alone in their natural habitats."

Link to original tweet:

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
PETA is trash, end of story.

Z

ZeroVoidTime

PETA is trash, end of story.
Let me add on say yes PETA statements are true in regards to the incidents involving his infant son. However PETA is still a trashy and pathetic animal activist group that fails to recognize its own mistakes and fallacies. This also means PETA should take good look at itself as an organization before making statements as they wind up doing more harm than good. I also think this organization has a tendency to push away and discourage people who really care about the environment out of fear they will be lumped in with PETA.

A

Aznig

Some things PETA says are true, and some are extremist bullshit. PETA has a legacy of shitty behavior - from promoting the abuse of other humans, to vandalism, to actually euthanizing a majority animals that they “rescued”.

They, like all extremist groups, should not be given much attention or validity. However, admittedly, there are groups that are far worse than PETA. Ignoring them is the best option. What they want is attention.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Whether you agree with PETA's overall aims or not, it's very clear that the model they use to advertise their conversations is to deliberately involve themselves in controversies that they realise will generate media attention.

So when we tell all of our friends about those controversies, we're doing exactly what PETA wants.

I don't say that because I want to discourage people from talking about PETA- I have no particular view on them one way or the other- it's just clear that this is how they get people to talk about PETA- including me.

EmmyCatto

I don’t use this site anymore
PETA is just going to keep doing shitty things as long as it gets them the attention they desire. Imo, people should really just ignore it when they do something like this, since all they want is attention from the media in order to stay relevant, but of course people are just going to keep talking. PETA is bottom of the barrel scum. They've done more than enough to show how terrible they are and they should really just be left in the dust to rot.

I

Infrarednexus

Check out these replies to Peta after their Twitter post.

peta-steve-irwin-criticism-reactions-35-5c73af662b33f__700.jpg

1099116249693466624-png__700.jpg

peta-steve-irwin-criticism-reactions-56-5c73e9f5d6af8__700.jpg

peta-steve-irwin-criticism-reactions-48-5c73e19d0ded6__700.jpg

1099111579902070786-png__700.jpg

1099701861798604801-png__700.jpg

I

Infrarednexus

All of those people trying to capitalise on PETA saying a dumb thing, (what an opportunity for likes and twitter follows) are spreading PETA's attempt to get attention, tbh.

It's obvious they are doing for likes and follows, and of course they are only giving PETA more attention, but it's still satisfying to me seeing the anger and backlash from all of them.

quoting_mungo

IMO if Irwin's son doesn't have a problem with the incident cited (he's old enough by now to have an opinion on the matter), it's not up to PETA to make a stir about it. The only good thing that's come out of that organization is the hilarious parody Cooking Mama flash game meant to encourage people to swap their Thanksgiving turkey for tofurkey.

Because that game is damn funny.

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
PETA is a fucking joke as much as an extremist organization. I don't take them literally, but I do take them seriously as a threat to whatever they decide to lay their hands on.

Not only do they euthanize about, what, 70%(?) of the animals they "rescue", but they did the wrong move of shitting on Steve Irwin's legacy. The sheer level of ignorance and arrogance.. I have no fucking words.

I want their organization to cease to exist, like every other extremist organization out there.

Fallowfox

It's obvious they are doing for likes and follows, and of course they are only giving PETA more attention, but it's still satisfying to me seeing the anger and backlash from all of them.

Organisations post bait.
People swallow the bait.
We read it all, while the internet sends us adverts.

It's a business model.

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
You know.. I thought it'd be better to do some PETA memes as opposed to be pissed at them being complete and utter morons. Steve Irwin deserve better.

nj4pffvxiqi21.jpg

TR273

Pirate Fox Mom
I still liked it a few years ago when they had a go at Games Workshop for having some characters wearing fur (as in the plastic miniatures).

Fallowfox

Oh it's fucking legendary

You are doing exactly what PETA wants though. They expect and rely on people creating a huge storm of angry comments to generate the attention that results in them getting money.

MadKiyo

Furry from the discount section
Bait doesn't always work in the fisherman's favor (though PETA realistically wouldn't be a fisherman, but oh well). People create online raiding parties and have done noticeable damage to lives and businesses, like sending all available food delivery to their doorstep, dispatching SWAT, disguising as employees online, spreading false info, etc.

I'm not advocating this by the way, just the attention from rage marketing can attract groups that want to capitalize off of it. PETA used to be a virtual punching bag in the earlier days of the internet whenever they made a publicity stunt, but today something absurd or hateful you say on the internet can come back to crush you, so I'm uncertain how much they really gained from these tweets.

David Drake

Representative of Naboo
If you like animals, don't support PETA. Their idea of "ethical" treatment is far from. There are other better animal rights organizations.

As far as Steve Irwin..yes, he did a lot for conservation but he did have a television career based on hammily harassing large reptiles amongst others, so..."complicated figure"?

Last edited:

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
Any of you guys heard about the PETA tweets against Steve Irwin? Apparently it' starting a whole storm online. Any thoughts or opinions? Open to all ideas and perspectives here.

Here's the quote:
"#SteveIrwin was killed while harassing a ray; he dangled his baby while feeding a crocodile & wrestled wild animals who were minding their own business. Today’s #GoogleDoodle sends a dangerous, fawning message. Wild animals are entitled to be left alone in their natural habitats."

Link to original tweet:
Hmmm... I don't always agree with PETA, but they do have some valid points, (in some of their tweets) I think.

I mean, for starters, I don't know why people would tune in (on their tv's) to watch some knuckle headed daredevil-type guy who thinks he's invincible - rolling around in front of the cameras with a wild Bengal tiger, (for example).

Like PETA suggests - it might be better just to leave the wild animals alone, once and a while - instead of exploiting some of them - for schlock entertainment value.

He (and others like him) never really impressed me, in any way... as "you can't always fix stupid", I always say.

That said, it's a bit disgraceful for any organization to be exploiting anyone's death, just to score poltical points on social media. And so, PETA should probably apologize for that obvious mis-step, but they shouldn't apologize for what they believe in (I don't think)... no matter how misguided some people think their beliefs are.